Storm Software Update

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by danDroid, Oct 27, 2009.

1. danDroid

danDroid DF Administrator Staff Member

Looks like RIMM did a good job on the new OS v5.0 update released for the storm yesterday:

2. medicTHREE

medicTHREE New Member

I disagree, this is a complete fail. SImple things like email links don't work. It is advertised as THE email device, yet I can't click a link(and select/copy on Storm SUCKS) from my email?

Themes don't work in landscape, apps that worked in previous 5.0 builds don't, blah blah. This should still be a 4.x build, not 5.0. They added features that SHOULD have been on the phone to start with. Don't know why I kept it so long...
  3. RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger Premium Member Premium Member

/sign

STORM is total shit. loosen display click, dropped calls, random network timeouts, NO batterylife, bad radio

FAIL

Wheres my DROID? :(
  4. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

The email thing I will agree is a bug.

Theme problems are caused by the OS being too new for the version of theme creator that they were made in, this is NOT considered an OS fail.

Same thing for apps being incompatible. It is up to the app vendor to update their apps to be compatible, it's not RIM's responsiblilty to ensure that every app out there works on the new OS.
  5. bacalao

bacalao New Member

I have to agree with dave above. I have a storm and the new update almost made me hold back on getting my Droid, until I played with a unit in the store. But really that last update made the storm much better. Some things that didn't work well off the top of my head: sending photos over bbm was a pain and often didn't go through, links, viigo didn't load pictures anymore, and you couldn't soft reset anymore...
  6. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Last update for the Storm was an improvement but overall an EPIC FAIL. Still had major issues with what should be simple functions. 5.0 is just a pig in lipstick. Why I left RIM behind to come to Android. Never looking back....
  7. RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger Premium Member Premium Member

There was no Improvement. All the LEAKS are better working as the official Firmwares and they still suck. one call with 5 miutes and battery is drained.....

EPIC FAIL
  8. medicTHREE

medicTHREE New Member

I'll disagree again. Themes AND apps worked up until this release. They chose a fail of a release and ran with it. If verizon/rim are going to have the "throw the developer under the bus" attitude, they will lose developers and fast.

Sadly this os update brought the phone to the "what it should have came with from the start" level. Nothing more.
  9. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

Agreed

I agree here. First they ONLY released 5.0.0.328 because they didn't want a backlash of Storm users calling when S2 came out.then they didn't get the developers the tools needed for 5.0. Some applications worked but not on home sreens and most themes were broken too. Now I think that's gotten alot better as the tools have been released. Having said that. Releasing an update to make the Storm what it should have been is not acceptable to me. That's why I got the Droid and since have had VZW reset my upgrade date so my GF can get her droid also.