Storing google maps on the sd card

magdream

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed but I couldn't find it using search.

Now that we can store apps on the sd card, shouldn't we be able to store google maps? I know that storing the whole world would be difficult (but cool as hell), but maybe by country or even region (north east US, south west, etc...)

I'd feel a lot better/secure about using my droid as a navi knowing that I didn't have to rely on data reliability. Am I dreaming or is this a reasonable request?

What's your opinion, we'd like to know.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am sure if you have it as a data/app it can be moved to the SD card, I keep my maps.apk in the system so it isn't a concern for me

I think you are asking something different though, to be able to use Maps with no data connection-probably not going to happen

BTW: who is we ?

OP
M

magdream

Reaction score
BTW: who is we ?

that was an old tagline at the end of these short editorials that would air between shows on wpix11 nyc in the 70's

yes, I'd like to use maps/navi w/o data. Technically, I don't see why it couldn't be done.

rp683

Reaction score
The good thing about NOT storing the data (maps) locally on your phone is that when Google updates it's maps you get the updates as well.

I have seen a lot of map corrections in my area (changing a lot of highways and ramps in Providence) and new satellite images as well since I got my Droid in November. The minute you store a map locally on your phone it's already out of date.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now that we can store apps on the sd card, shouldn't we be able to store google maps?
Apples and oranges. App2SD doesn't mean that you can change the functionality of an app -- in this case, how Maps pulls map data via your data connection. It just means you can store and run the app from the SD card.

IIRC, there are prior threads on precaching maps. I don't recall if precaching is possible for Google Maps or not but I think it was. Sorry, you'll have to search. If the forum search isn't cutting it then try a Google site restricted search. Just add site:www.droidforums.net to your keywords.

If you really need locally stored maps, I suggest finding a GPS nav app that does so (e.g. CoPilot Live). Precaching is too much of a PITA IMO.

Doesn't Navi run on GPS only ?
No, it will try to use other methods of locating you. It doesn't work very well without GPS though.

Last edited:
OP
M

magdream

Reaction score
I know it's apples & oranges. I was just saying that an update should allow for this option, now that we have app2SD. It's no biggie really. For the most part the maps/navi/gps functions fine. It just doesn't seem like it'd be that big deal to do.

carry on.