Store or over the phone?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I actually talked to customer service while at that store and they said the same thing, 'you buy on the phone you replace through the mail.' I'm good now, but it was a hassle. They sent one to me overnight, but of course the weekend came into play. That is a corporate store by the way.

You have had a unique experience then. I've seen tons of people here get the phone online and swap at the store. There's a VZW tech on one of these threads and he has said the same thing (i.e. you can swap at a store). It's cheaper for them that way anyway (they don't ave to pay FedEX) and the store isn't out because they get credited. You got a bum rap, I'm guessing/hoping your store is an outlet and not a corporate store.

JamesX

Reaction score
Maybe it is a state law or something that makes the difference.

I live in CA, and the Verizon Wireless Store naer my house takes my returns. Even accessories.

But their support was terrible. They refuse to exchange my DROID with loose Slide and call it Normal Wear and Tear even thought it is only 5 days old. The manager's handling of the sitution was pretty upsetting so I decided to just forget about it and return the whole phone and switch to iPhone or Nexus.

But this forum advised me to call Verizon Customer Service. They are much more responsible and even state that the loose slide on a phone as new as mine is definitely not normal wear and tear. My replacement was shipped today and should arrive tomorrow.

styx

Reaction score
I bought my first Droid over the phone (it was cheaper). When I got it there was a question mark in the battery icon. I called the customer service and she told me to take it to my local Verizon Store and replace it. She even checked their inventory to make sure they had some in stock. They did, 89 to be exact. She said when I get there they will attempt to fix it. They tried but couldn't and gave me a new phone no questions asked. This was 3 weeks ago and my second one has worked flawlessly!

yoopermjm

Reaction score
Curiouser and curiouser, as Pooh would say. It is a corporate store. I did talk to a vzw customer service rep from the phone in the store. I was told they would have to send me one, and I totally agree with you that it makes no sense for them to pony up the overnight fed ex. rather than simply replace it. If in fact many others have, that is a mystery to me. Don't know why, but it was what it was.

OP
arty2hottie

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Its amazing how different customer service can be compared to a corporate store. I dont know of anything that can be so different. It really matters who you get at the store or even who the manager is. One store will do it and another wont. Im just amazed at this. I will say though that no matter what the problem I have had, calling customer service has always helped. If it has to do with the bill call, dont go to the store because you never know what bozo you will get. Now I have had some good employees help over the years but they are becoming extinct.

GiantDroid

Reaction score
I just checked and you can now buy the Droid from Lets Talk for $149.00
and Wirefly has it for $119.

Damn, almost wish I had waited till now to buy one (two actually -- family plan).

OP
arty2hottie

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Does the store still make you pay 299 and you get a 100 dollar rebate mailed to you? On line the rebate is instant.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Does the store still make you pay 299 and you get a 100 dollar rebate mailed to you? On line the rebate is instant.

I turned around in the store went to customer service and had them apply my rebate to my account....Done, Instantly...

styx

Reaction score
I had the "New Every Two" plus I get a $100.00 Visa Card. Total will end up being $99.00.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

I turned around in the store went to customer service and had them apply my rebate to my account....Done, Instantly...

I had them apply it 'instantly' along with matching some other/competitor discounts. But according to others this can vary greatly from location. Just ask the sales rep first off and see what they are willing to do.

crspang

Reaction score
You'll get the best deal buy using the website or the phone. Plus you wont get hounded to buy overpriced accessories.

pmas

Reaction score
I would say go to the store and buy it. I bought mine over the phone and had a problem with it and it had to be returned. The store will not work with you or replace it. If you start in the mail, VZW makes you STAY in the mail for everything. With all the hassles I endured, I would have rather paid the extra 50 bucks to deal with a face and a place. (BTW I'm happy with my droid now, after all the dust has settled).

Thanks that is good to know about having to send it in if I have a problem.

I have a corporate VZW store literally 5 blocks from my house. But I chose to buy the droid over the internet. Here's why you should consider it.
First, I did need to exchange mine as I had horrible incoming call quality. After 5 days I called the VZW CS and they told me to go to my local store for an exchange. I did just that and twenty minutes later walked out with a new droid.
But the main reason I bought online was because you don't have a mail in rebate. They give you the $100 off, right there when you purchase. No waiting or mailing receipts and bar codes.
Don't worry about returns or warranties. It is treated exactly the same as if you walked into a store and bought it.