Storage card questions

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
  • What are the options for external memory for my device?
    The device supports up to 32GB microSD memory cards.
  • Where do I put the microSD card?
    Remove the back cover of the device. Place the microSD card inside the slot on the side.
  • What type and size microSD storage cards can I use?
    Currently, the microSD card supports 2.0 SDHC compatibility.
  • Can I install applications to my microSD card?
    Currently, programs can only be installed on the device’s internal storage.
  • I can’t see pictures stored on my microSD card using Photos?
    To see pictures stored on your microSD card using Photos ensure your device is not mounted as a USB storage device. Open the Notifications Panel (by touching and then dragging the status bar down) on your device, then in the Notifications Panel, and ensure the connection type is set to Charge only.
  • How do I use the phone's storage card as a USB Drive?
    Connect the phone to the computer using the USB cable. When prompted, choose Disk drive mode from the on-screen prompt.

Info from HTC's Website

poopsicle

Reaction score
I'm just confused. I would just like confirmation if it can take 32gb. The verizon site says 16gb. I know 32mb is an error. I couldn't even find 32gb cards on amazon. I dont remember the manual listing it either. Again, im just confused :huh:

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
Unfortunately NO android device running 2.1 is capable of a 32gb sd card. They do not work correctly. Google is working on this and should be fixed in 2.2 update.

Zoner

Reaction score
So here's a follow up question regarding the 16Gb microSDHC card for the Verizon DROID. Will the device support a class 6 microSDHC 16Gb card? I know it will support the class 2 since that's what it came with, but I'm looking to buy an extra one and want to be sure the device supports class 6. Thoughts?

xcsdm

Reaction score
Actually, 32gb cards DO work correctly. However, they must be formatted outside of the phone before insertion. The Format SD Card function cannot format a 32gb card. However, I formatted my card FAT32 on my computer, and it works GREAT! I have ~40 gb of total storage... on my phone.

Beats the h3ll out of my 80mb hard drive my 386 had...

XC

Zoner

Reaction score
Update

So here's a follow up question regarding the 16Gb microSDHC card for the Verizon DROID. Will the device support a class 6 microSDHC 16Gb card? I know it will support the class 2 since that's what it came with, but I'm looking to buy an extra one and want to be sure the device supports class 6. Thoughts?

I spoke with Verizon who's tech support had no clue <BIG SHOCK!> as to what SDHC "class" the Droid supports. They advised I call Motorola. So I did. Motorola tech support could not find anything in their database of knowledge that specified one class over another. "They" told me the 16Gb Class 6 SDHC card "should" be just fine. So far, it's working just fine. Of course, I always unmount the card before shutting down and removing it so as not to corrupt data unnecessarily.

Hope that helps. Of course, I claim no responsibility for any lost data. So save yourself a headache trying to explain that SD cards do have classes to Verizon tech support and go straight to Motorola.

Abadus

Reaction score
Actually, 32gb cards DO work correctly. However, they must be formatted outside of the phone before insertion. The Format SD Card function cannot format a 32gb card. However, I formatted my card FAT32 on my computer, and it works GREAT! I have ~40 gb of total storage... on my phone.

Beats the h3ll out of my 80mb hard drive my 386 had...

XC

486 DX 33!!! BAM!

Crazy what we carry in our pockets these days.

32 Gig cards are less than I paid for my 8Gig 2 years ago :p

(oddly enough I am formatting my Droids SD card ATM to remove some partitions. LOL)

Gundcow

Reaction score
I have a question about the memory on the Incredible. I am confused about the three categories. When I go to settings> sd card & phone storage I find: SD card with 1.86 GB, internal phone storage with 6.6GB and phone memory with 748 MB. I thought it was just SD card and internal phone memory? I thought the phone came with an 8 gig card? Can someone clarify this for me? One other thing I have read on some sites that say you can't save apps on your SD card because they can't run from there. Is that true? Any help would be great! Thanks all <3

ffej89

Reaction score
You can not save your apps to sd unless you root. With the update to froyo you will gain this feature

Gundcow

Reaction score
Okay I can deal with that... Any clue about the other questions? I want to be able to put pictures in folders. That really shouldn't be too much to ask...

ktmoutlaw

Reaction score
sd no response

I was hoping someone was going to answer the rest of the questions as well.... even the one answer is confusing it will wyork if I root? So should I? Or is that not a good idea?

fotc

Reaction score
the phones internal memory is just for the processes of the phone. the sd card is just a memory card for extra space.the phones internal storage is the 8 gigs of onboard memory that the droid inc comes with. it is actually a little bit lower than 8 gigs though.