Storage Breakdown

kingpin6866

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the partitioning of space with the Bionic please?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Phone internal memory is as follows.

Phone memory 8Gig, SD memory is also on the phone and it's 8G. They use the SD memory for media but many programs to move applications will move them there - don't do it they will vanish - keep apps on the phone memory.

Then there is the SD-ext 16 Gig memory which nothing goes to automatically which is the external SD card.

It's annoying.

OP
K

kingpin6866

Reaction score
Yes, it is annoying. Has Motorola stated why they partitioned?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

billyk

Reaction score
So, if I have this right:

- 8G internal storage (reserved by the phone, like RAM working space).
- 8G internal storage identified as SDCard (storage space we can access/use, some apps may store stuff here).
- 16G external storage identified as SDCard-Ext (what we have come to expect as an external SD card).

mach330

Reaction score
thx for this info. it was driving me crazy. i'm trying to change a lot of my apps setting (dolphin browser storage directory for example) to use the sdcard-ext.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Minus some room for system apps I believe it's correct.

- 8G internal storage identified as SDCard (storage space we can access/use, some apps may store stuff here).
- 16G external storage identified as SDCard-Ext (what we have come to expect as an external SD card).

billyk

Reaction score
Follow-up question...

Then why under Settings>Running Services with "Running" tab selected, does my Bionic indicate:

RAM:
306MB Used
420MB Free

?? That doesn't jive with what I wrote earlier this this thread when I was looking for clarification.

TatDroid

Reaction score
My understanding is that it's actually:
Internal phone storage: 4GB reserved for apps, 4GB reserved for system files, 8GB avail for files, media, etc.
External microSD storage: 16GB (formatted size might be somewhat less) all avail for files, media, etc.

TatDroid

Reaction score
thx for this info. it was driving me crazy. i'm trying to change a lot of my apps setting (dolphin browser storage directory for example) to use the sdcard-ext.
Make sure you do NOT move your apps to the "media area". There is a known issue with apps disappearing after they've been moved off of the phone internal storage area. Leave your apps on internal storage (until this issue has been resolved). You have PLENTY of space (4GB) avail for apps, and it can't be used for any other purpose - so you might as well use it!

LBrooks

Reaction score

Sorry to bring up an old thread - I *thought* I understood the Bionic's memory system - then i thought I didn't - come to find out I did after reading back through this ...

So I have kind of a stupid question (sometimes - really, I'm not sure I have any other kind) ... If I understand their memory system correctly - why didn't Motorola just do the Bionic a la iPhone and give a 16GB or 32GB version that happened to be running Android ??? (does that make sense ???) ... If we're not going to have some control of where our stuff is stored (even something as silly as pictures / video for that matters) - why even the option for an upgradeable external card ???

Can someone *please* tell me what big giant glaring like the sun point I've missed here ??? And I'm sure I have - it's probably as obvious as the nose on my face - but at the moment, I just can't see it ...

(and before anyone falls over and dies - I love my phone - I'm not a phone basher - *knocking wood* I haven't had any problems with it like some unfortunately have ... )

billyk

Reaction score
Internal phone storage: 4GB reserved for apps, 4GB reserved for system files, 8GB avail for files, media, etc.
External microSD storage: 16GB (formatted size might be somewhat less) all avail for files, media, etc.

Didn't see that you had answered my question a few weeks back. Thanks!!

Batman8

Reaction score

From my multiple conversations with Motorola about this mess they've created, I believe TatDroid has it correct (4GB, 4GB, and 8GB internal and a 16GB ext) which has become a SERIOUS issue for me especially with all of my Gameloft games which typically have large data folders that must reside in the area known as "SD Card" which up until now has always been a "real" physical SD Card (for me, a Sandisk 32GB card). But on the Bionic, the area known as "SD Card" is really it's internal 8GB of space WHICH IS NOT BIG ENOUGH when games have been storing data folders on my 32GB card all this time!!

Dumb-Ass Motorola (as much as I LOVE this phone) did NOT consider this would cause a conflict within the system. To suddenly name an internal area "SD Card" when there has already been an area/physical volume all along named "SD Card" is ridiculous. But for the area to only be 8GB??? How the hell are we supposed to fit all of the info from your 32GB card into a now 8GB space?!!!

If you are having similar issues with these partitions like I have, then I strongly suggest giving Motorola's Tech Support a call and voice your complaint. I have been in touch with their level 3 support team weekly, so they are surely aware of the problem, but still need to know how many people are affected by this and it should prompt them to get it fixed even sooner. Call them at 1-800-734-5870.