Stopping an App (not through a task killer)

cjpalermo21

Reaction score
Hello,

I know that using task killers are not necessary, but I'm wondering about a particular scenario.

I will open Facebook for Android on my phone, just to check out news feeds, etc. However, when I leave, I'd like to make sure FB closes down.

Instead, it seems to stay running, which indicates to people that I'm still on (and I get chat messages, etc., which I end up not seeing, because by then, the phone is already in my pocket).

What's the best way to ensure that when I *exit* Facebook, I actually exit it -- I only hop on my phone to check things out quickly; I'm not looking to be a hardcore user (so, for chatting, for example, I do that from a desktop/laptop).

Do I have to actually go into "manage applications" and force stop it there?

Thanks!

anuraj1

Reaction score
You could just go to the chat section of the facebook app, press the menu button and choose to go offline. The app itself will be managed by Android's memory manager.

OP
C

cjpalermo21

Reaction score
Yes - but then, I wonder if that will keep me "offline" when I get on on my computer -- I want to ensure that I don't have to keep bouncing back and forth between the two....

anuraj1

Reaction score
Nope, they don't affect each other. I stay offline on my phone but I pretty much chat all day on my PC while I pretend to be working at the office. Haha

OP
C

cjpalermo21

Reaction score
OK - interesting - so, going "offline" on the droid does NOT put you offline on your main account?

That seems almost counter-intuitive.... I'll have to check it out.

anuraj1

Reaction score
It just stops your phone from reporting that you are online and it stops your phone from receiving notifications every time someone sends you an IM

OP
C

cjpalermo21

Reaction score
Excellent - seems to be what I needed! Thanks a bunch!