stop the sound Please !

crankyg

Reaction score
I hate the shutter sound for the camera ! I cannot seem to silence it. I've checked settings ( in the camera menu ) nothing for the "shutter" sound, just image.. I went into the phone, sound, device settings, and it doesnt seem to offer anything for the camera. It is REALLY annoying :(
*thanks in advance
g.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Given it's almost identical to the D1, you should just be able to hold the power button and get options for turning it off, silencing it, and turning on airplane mode. The silence option will turn off the camera shutter. Now have fun taking your candid photos of sexy coworkers, just remember to turn off the flash as well! ;)

OP
C

crankyg

Reaction score
Given it's almost identical to the D1, you should just be able to hold the power button and get options for turning it off, silencing it, and turning on airplane mode. The silence option will turn off the camera shutter. Now have fun taking your candid photos of sexy coworkers, just remember to turn off the flash as well! ;)

ahaha , Thanks !! Yes that works ( my co-workers are happy ) but all my sounds are off, and I forget to turn them back on..Guess I will have to train myself, but seems so ridiculous to have a phone like this,without that direct simple feature.

Btw, would you know anything about why, when I am in a call, I cannot do any tasks that require data transmission? I tried to send a photo while I was on a call, no go. Couldn't open a browser either.. ughhh

bjb.butler

Reaction score
Btw, would you know anything about why, when I am in a call, I cannot do any tasks that require data transmission? I tried to send a photo while I was on a call, no go. Couldn't open a browser either.. ughhh

CDMA doesn't support voice & data at the same time.

If you connect to wifi while on a call, however, you can use data services.

Barristro

Reaction score
I downloaded the SilentSnap app. That did it for me without needing to silence the entire phone. Some site I was searching claimed that the camera makes that noise to protect unwitting subjects' privacy. Makes sense, but also makes the camera's normal use really annoying for everyone else in the room.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, right. I know the real reason why you don't want the camera to make noise. :D

Barristro

Reaction score
Yeah, right. I know the real reason why you don't want the camera to make noise. :D
My reason is as stated. My phone is always on silent. If I controlled the world, phones wouldn't be allowed to beep or ring. I find it excessively rude to allow ones phone to make noises and disturb other people (with the exception of calls and playing music/games).

I understand Motorola's "privacy issue" (assuming it is actually the case), but it is pointless. Phones (and digital cameras) that come with a default shutter noise turned on is a complete waste;

Polite people want it turned off right away.
Rude people will probably do whatever they can to make the noise louder:p, so having the default be off won't stop anything.
The general public won't take the time to learn how to turn it off because working a camera is already taxing their gadget-using abilities.
Creepy people (which hookbill accuses me of being:icon_eek:) will immediately find a way to destroy this "feature", so there is no legitimate argument to say that it protects privacy.

Side note; I was at a wedding this past weekend. My aunt's digital camera was much louder than the photographer's film camera.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My reason is as stated. My phone is always on silent. If I controlled the world, phones wouldn't be allowed to beep or ring. I find it excessively rude to allow ones phone to make noises and disturb other people (with the exception of calls and playing music/games).

Creepy people (which hookbill accuses me of being:icon_eek:) will immediately find a way to destroy this "feature", so there is no legitimate argument to say that it protects privacy.

Side note; I was at a wedding this past weekend. My aunt's digital camera was much louder than the photographer's film camera.

I never accused you of anything. I was joking, I just want to be clear about that. That's what the big smiley was about. I would never judge a members character based on something like that, we have people requesting it all the time.

Barristro

Reaction score
I never accused you of anything. I was joking, I just want to be clear about that. .

I know you were joking. Or, I at least assumed it.:) Sorry if my dry humor caused you to think that I took offense in any way.

OP
C

crankyg

Reaction score
let's all play nice :)
besides being a creeper, I was at an outdoor function, holding an Eagle Owl ( very massive and kinda scary beast ) when a pic was being taken of "us" , the sound went off and HE did not like that !
Should be a specific , "sound off" for the camera, but the power button, phone options "silent mode" works, Until I find another way....

Kamokazi

Reaction score

They hired a wedding photographer that still used film?! :icon_eek: Are you positive it wasn't a DSLR?

When companies like Nikon discontinue film cameras (for standard format at least), you know it's time to move on. Especially when you only need to replace the body, all the other lenses and flashes will still work, unless they are *REALLY* old.

The noise you heard from your aunt's camera was likely the zoom motor during autofocus, which can be disabled, and also doesn't exist on virtually all phones. Just about any other clicks or beeps were generated artificially by the camera's speaker and can usually be turned off. Unless it was a DSLR, in which case there would be a mechanical click from the mirror flipping up, but the photographers camera would make that noise, too. It's very easy to make most digital cameras dead silent.

Anyway, back on topic, the camera beep can be eliminated by turning the alarm volume down to nothing in Settings->Sounds->Volume, and the shutter noise can be turned off by making the phone silent.

But then that obviously makes all the other things silent....it really should be independently toggle-able.

bobby_v

Reaction score
I downloaded the SilentSnap app. That did it for me without needing to silence the entire phone. Some site I was searching claimed that the camera makes that noise to protect unwitting subjects' privacy. Makes sense, but also makes the camera's normal use really annoying for everyone else in the room.

My wife was commenting on the weird shutter sound this morning when I was taking pictures of my daughters on their first day of the school year.

I may have to check out SilentSnap. Thanks.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Only reason I mentioned anyone using the silent feature to be a creeper is because that's what I used it for. ;)