Stop services on boot

barreloffun

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is there a way to stop services and their respective apps on the boot cycle? sometimes my phone reboots, I think to many services running in the background is part of the problem. I know how to stop an app from running from manage application. How do i stop them from booting all together? Especially if I cant delete the ones like blockbuster, skype, amazon MP3, ect. that I dont use.

Thanks.

CxUNG

Reaction score
Yeah you have to be rooted. Its a fairly simple process just use z4 root then get titanium backup and you can do what the person above mentioned and freeze or uninstall them. But it not a good idea to uninstall. Just freze them.

Sent from DROiDx using DROiDforumsAPP

OP
B

barreloffun

Reaction score
Where can I find the app u mentioned above?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

igknight

Reaction score
for z4 you have to search Google. Correct me if I'm wrong, but its the only way to get it.

I use Titanium to backup and freeze the bloatware, but use Autostarts to disable the programs I want on my phone, but only want to launch when I want them.

OP
B

barreloffun

Reaction score
Thanks!!!

I installed the Astro explorer app and Z4 to root the phone. I then rooted the phone and it did an automatic reboot. problem now is, How do i delete or freeze these apps? I found tutorials on how to root the phone but not on how to freeze or delete apps once the phone is rooted.

igknight

Reaction score
Dont uninstall them, it will cause issues when you do upgrades. To freeze them, you have to pay for Titanium backup, then you click on the app and select freeze.

Or, with a program like Root File Explorer you you can go to the /system/app folder on your system and rename the files to something like com.amazon.mp3.bak or something like that. If you rename them and there are system updates, you will have to rename them again to the original file name so the update will take.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is there a way to stop services and their respective apps on the boot cycle? sometimes my phone reboots, I think to many services running in the background is part of the problem. I know how to stop an app from running from manage application. How do i stop them from booting all together? Especially if I cant delete the ones like blockbuster, skype, amazon MP3, ect. that I dont use.

Thanks.

If your phone is resetting, then there is an issue. However it's not from services that are running in the background. You just don't understand exactly what services running in the background means with the Droid.

So more then likely it is indeed an app causing this issue, problem is we don't know which one. A factory data reset will put your phone back to the way it was when you first got it. Before doing that, remove any task killers or virus protection. Do the reset, allow your paid apps to load but do not load any of your free apps for a couple of days. If there are no resets then slowly start putting the apps you have back in it. If restarts begins to occur, then you should be able to narrow the problem apps or app.