Solved Stop popups

ethan_glaud

Reaction score
So I've been on sites looking for gameboy ROM's and MP3 files, and all these popups are taking up my browser and opening the Play Store and what not. My question is, is there a way to stop this? On my old phone this never happened, but that could be because I had MP3 apps that work (they don't any more) and the ROM site I used isn't working any more. But it seems like a ton of sites have the same ad's and they make it next to impossible to open the webpages, because the second I open the website the ad will pop up. Any suggestions? Thanks.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you have some malware that got installed. Try installing Malwarebytes from the Play Store and do a scan.

Is it happening with more than one browser?

OP
E

ethan_glaud

Reaction score
Thanks, i'm running a scan now. The thing is it's only when i'm on one of those sites to download stuff, otherwise i'm fine. And I have Lookout security, which has never let me down before. But nonetheless i'm scanning now.

I've only run the default browser, chrome, and I believe the google search app leads to chrome, so no i've only tried the browser I have, should I look for another?

OP
E

ethan_glaud

Reaction score
I finished the scan, no malware. Any other suggestions? Thanks for this suggestion though,I hadn't even considered it!

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Personally due to being such a battery hog I wouldn't use Chrome, however, you may want to clear Chrome's cache and if that doesn't work clear cache and settings. Clearing the settings will do just that so don't take it lightly. It also may be the sites you're on. Personally I would install Dolphin Browser and give it a try.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If you're downloading Gameboy ROMs and MP3 files and not getting them from legal sources, FIRST, let me be clear that the staff of this forum do NOT condone that practice in any way. SECOND, sites that offer up free stuff that shouldn't be free often employ more rigorous advertising to make a profit. If you're not seeing these same ads on sites that don't offer up this kind of illegal content, I'd certainly blame the kinds of sites that you're visiting and not the browser, the phone, or another app.

OP
E

ethan_glaud

Reaction score
Understood, I get why they do this and everything, I'm just curious if there's any way to stop this. I ran cm browser and am now using that instead, and I tried out dolphin browser, but both had the pop ups. So now I know its the website, unless it's somehow my phone (which I doubt), so I guess there's not much I can do except avoid them.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
Hey @leeshor! I am not sure about your past experiences...but I use chrome all the time, and I just wanted to show you my stats for battery usage. Do you think this qualifies as a battery hog?

68a3e88aa298fc4af8e32fba13ca6e5e.jpg

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Let's just say that Chrome uses more battery on any/all my Android devices than any other browser and it's a memory hog to boot.

Reactions: cr6