Stop bluetooth from reading my text messages aloud! Pls help!!

OP
M

Mudrubble

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Man, this is frustrating. I couldn't find a setting in Swiftkey so I deleted the whole thing just to be sure and no difference. Still reading away.... is there not an app that STOPS your texts from reading aloud? I'd happily download another app to suppress this if it will work.

Help!

OP
M

Mudrubble

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Thanks guys,

I am using Swiftkey as my messaging app but it's not in the settings of this app. This happens when I connect to ANY bluetooth device, not just the Sound BlasterAxx that it's connected to. I've checked in the Soundblaster preferences and nothing there seems responsible for this.

A new clue, this only started happening - now that I think about it deeply - since I installed SmileQ.apk from Support for my bluetooth headset. The fact is I dragged the icon from the widgets screen to the trash but since it was downloaded directly, not through play store, I wonder if it's still lingering on my device somehow and forcing this preference.

I'm almost certain that this is the culprit. I don't know what to do about it and unfortunately, the manufacturer of these fantastic headphones is a Chinese company and I doubt they'd have a clue what to do. I will inquire with them, but I doubt their English is even good enough to understand what I'm saying.

Another option is if there is any app that SUPPRESSES bt from reading texts, I'd happily download that.

At this point I'll take any way of not having my texts read aloud on any speaker for the world to hear!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
First, Swiftkey is a keyboard app, not messaging. I can assure you that Swiftkey isn't the culprit.

As for the SmileQ app that you mentioned, go to the main settings of the phone and find the application manager. Locate that app in there and tap it. You should have an option to uninstall from there if it's still there.

OP
M

Mudrubble

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
SUCCESS!!

You guys are awesome! As it turns out, the SmileQ.apk was NOT deleted by dragging it to the trash can. I went to application manager and deleted it from there and all is well again! Simple solution.

These Bonnaire mx-610 headphones (amazon.com - no I don't work for the company) are the best bang for the buck I have heard and super convenient ($90 USD) but by god, don't install the app that they offer on their page (to show battery levels on your screen) or else you'll be in a world of headaches!

Thank you all. Honestly, there was a lot of goodwill here.

OP
M

Mudrubble

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Congrats! Glad we gotcha sorted out!

Ha! I had the same idea before having read your response, so I think we have a psychic link! I'd have credited you in my success message had I read your post first.... so yes, you absolutely gave me the correct advice and you have my vote for mayor. Thanks!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well now I just wish I would've come back to check on this thread more quickly, but I appreciate the vote of confidence, even if it's strictly an honorary-with-no-perks title.

newmanx4

Reaction score
Glad you figured it out. I use Message+ which has the function of reading texts aloud via bluetooth. Once it's activated it's a bit of a hassle figuring out how to deactivate it. If you were using Message+ I know how to stop it because I just went through that a couple of weeks ago.