Stop automatic linking of contacts

Rogerb

Reaction score
I use my phone for business, so I often have a lot of contacts that use the same address, phone, etc. I find that the Droid 2 automatically links these contacts all in one and then I can't find the person I need. How do I stop this from happening and how do I unlink the ones that are already linked? I deleted Facebook, so that's not an issue anymore. This thing even linked my wife and I because we have the same home phone number and address, so now her caller ID doesn't show up for some reason.

davew90046

Reaction score
droid automatic linking of contacts

hi. i have this problem too and think its unbelievably annoying. i called motorola and they were clueless! verizon also. does anyone know how to disable this automatic linking of contacts? i use contacts for work and i have lots of people with same address and main phone number which i think is the criteria the droid is using to mistakenly think they should be joined. help! other than this, i love my droid razr maxx! thanks

desertknit

Reaction score
open the contact you want to unlink, press the phone menu button, choose edit, press phone menu button, in the pop-up menu should be 'un join' or 'un-link', press it.
I don't know how to stop it from doing it automatically. My phone doesnt do automatically, but I don't remember how I did it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

davew90046

Reaction score
thanks desertknit. i did know how to separate them individually but i appreciate you offering the info anyway. what i really want is a way to turn OFF the automatic joining / linking of contacts. i have over 3500 contacts so its impractical to have to go to each individually and separate them. why would motorola add such a feature without a way to turn it off? its super assumptive to think everyone would want this especially when it joins any contacts with same address or main work number!

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
try contacts.Google.com
think there is an option to unlink there