Stop auto add of contacts in Gmail

Franknbeans

Reaction score
I am sure everyone has this issue, but how can we turn off the auto add of contacts. . . I'm a wedding DJ by trade and get random inquiries in all the time. . . Now they are getting added to my friends list on my phone.

:(

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I am sure everyone has this issue, but how can we turn off the auto add of contacts. . . I'm a wedding DJ by trade and get random inquiries in all the time. . . Now they are getting added to my friends list on my phone.

Contacts>>Menu>>Display Options>>Check Only Contacts with Phone Numbers

OP
F

Franknbeans

Reaction score
Sorry, I should of mentioned I have a Eris. . . those options aren't in mine, or i can't seem to find them..

I got to the "people" Icon then hit the "Menu" button..

Options there are:
New Contact
Search People
Delete
View

MNTNBKR

Reaction score

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about that as I don't give out my mail email address to many random people, but that's an interesting issue. I would hate to have my contact list (even if you can turn them off with the method described above) littered with junk email addresses.

OP
F

Franknbeans

Reaction score
I deleted my entire list right before activating the Eris. . . didn't want to import all of those junk emails.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Log into Gmail and put only the contacts you really care about into "My Contacts". Currently you have the Droid Eris and instead of pulling the contacts you want, the Eris is pulling everyone (all your contacts) (not cool huh). Now go back on your phone and do the following:

Open the People app
Go to the Groups section
Now press the Menu button and select Sync Contacts from the menu
Uncheck “Sync all contacts” and press the save button.

OP
F

Franknbeans

Reaction score
When replying to any email address they get added to "all contacts" of my email account. . and the Eris is pulling the All Contacts instead of the "my contacts"

I don't know how to just make it pull the my contacts. I can't find the option and I read the entire PDF manual.

johfiner

Reaction score
I don't remember where I set this option, but I my Gmail contacts are not synchronized with my phone contacts. They are separate. If I add somebody to my phone's contact list that has the same name as one of my Gmail contacts, it does synchronize email addresses, however.

Sorry, I know this isn't helpful, but the option is there somewhere. I'm looking around and I can't find it, but I know it's possible!

OP
F

Franknbeans

Reaction score
I may have figured it out. . Not sure until I get another email in though.

Menu> Data Sync>Google> Gmail to Off

Auto sync calendar and contacts.

Will that disable my Gmail?

So should I turn off contacts then?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I may have figured it out. . Not sure until I get another email in though.

Menu> Data Sync>Google> Gmail to Off

Auto sync calendar and contacts.

Will that disable my Gmail?

So should I turn off contacts then?

Did you look at post #6 above? That should work for the Eris

Mr Steve

Reaction score
Can you sync more than one Gmail account on the Eris?

I've got four Gmail accounts syncing on my Droid and while it pulls emails from all of them it only syncs contacts from two - home & work. The accounts I use to sign up for stuff on the web, etc. are set to not sync their contacts.

If you set up a separate Gmail for your DJ business (or a new personal Gmail if your business is too entrenched) you could sync just the personal & not the DJ contacts. I've also got notifications 'on' for home & work and 'off' for the others. I just check the main page of the Gmail app manually once day or so to see if there's any emails.

I don't know if this is possible on your phone

OP
F

Franknbeans

Reaction score
I must have overlooked the directions...

thanks so much man... this should be on spot now!

One more question if anyone can help. On the "people Widget" I some how got one of my contact in there with a rolodex symbol. . So when I click on the name it lets me pick what I would like to do.. ie. call, sms, email

The others I HAD to pick one or the other.. is there a easy way to let me let the others have the rolodex symbol?

Mr Steve

Reaction score
This, again, is from a Droid but if I long press a home screen then do ...

Shortcuts > Contact I get an icon that when I tap it brings up all of that contact's info - email, phone, addresses, etc. No Rolodex symbol, though.

Shortcuts > Direct Dial lets you choose a phone number to assign
Shortcuts > Direct Message is for SMS

thaJack

Reaction score
You're in a Motorola Droid forum. I suggest finding a Droid Eris forum somewhere. The Motorola Droid and the HTC Droid Eris are made by two different companies, run two different interfaces, and are in every way two very different devices.