Stolen phone apps

RnD_Solo

Reaction score
has anyone found a good recovery app that will track you phone. i was checking out wavesecure, but its ridiculously expensive for an app, and i dont think it will trun the gps on remotely.

anyone got anything worth tryin?

zeroryde

Reaction score
Download lookout from the marketplace. It has a gps locator via the web and antivirus. The best thing is its free

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Download lookout from the marketplace. It has a gps locator via the web and antivirus. The best thing is its free

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The problem with that is he asked for a good one. Unfortunately lookout also has virus protection and is a resource hog.

WaveSecure is available in the Marke for around 20.00. I use Mobil Defense but that's in controlled use. Right now it's free for me, you may want to visit the web site and sign up to be put on the list.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
+1 for Mobile Defense although I think it is a closed Beta now

OP
R

RnD_Solo

Reaction score
yeah lookout wont touch my webbrowswer...much less my phone. i will check out mobile defense. i dont mind paying for a good app but wave secure is 20 bucks a year...and tracking is free on new HTC phones...(but i dont have an htc phone do i? lol)

pyro6128

Reaction score
Wave secure is pretty amazing though. I got it free for life since I had it very early on, but I would say it depends on how worried you are about losing your phone. If you've lost phones in the past or something, $20 might not seem so bad. And it has uninstall protection to prevent the thief from uninstalling it (although if they knew enough they could prob get around it)

edit: I didnt notice that it was $20 a year, that sucks. Now i'm not sure if i would purchase it in your shoes/

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
why so down on Lookout?

Can anyone be more specific about lookout? I have the anti-virus and backup turned off, so it is just the locator that is on...I have not noticed a difference in battery life and it has been installed for several months now

bsbabcock

Reaction score
(newb here.. I mean very much a new.. Don't even have my X and wife's Inc yet.. In the mail now)

So I just popped over to the forum section testimonials on MD's site.. I am amazed but not surprised at one common theme of stolen phones that are located by their owners via MD.

The local law enforcement tends to be of little to no use whatsoever in phone recovery. If you want it back, most of those actually confront the thief themselves, on a couple instances maybe I read they were able to at least have an officer with them, but for the most part, it's your baby. Possession still being 9/10.. Appears MD or similar is that valuable 1/10 needed for evidence.

But it's cool that the system is able to track the phones, even with sim changes.

kenbarnum

Reaction score
Mobile Recovery works pretty well and is free if you have TEC coverage.

Edit: Also, you can remote wipe contacts and do some other good stuff from it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can anyone be more specific about lookout? I have the anti-virus and backup turned off, so it is just the locator that is on...I have not noticed a difference in battery life and it has been installed for several months now

If you are able to turn off the anti virus then that's something I wasn't aware of. Outside of the virus protection I don't know of anything else that is wrong with it. Maybe it's better then I thought.

OP
R

RnD_Solo

Reaction score
i dont think it can remotly activate gps either..so if you have it installed but the gps isnt on, its no use. i tried wave secure, it wont even tell me where the phone is located period.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got in with Wave Secure on the ground floor as well so I have it free for life but $20 a year does seem steep....

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
Yes, it does work with rooted (to answer my own question)...
The reason I asked is because I tried several times to get it to work with my phone, but it always said something about unknown device. BUT if I had tried it before I asked on the thread then I would have answered my own question.....

Yes, on lookout you can disable antivirus and backup to only have locate turned on....GPS doesn't have to be on, but use satellites needs to be on....Droid X settings aren't the easiest to get to, so if Joe Schmoe phone thief got the phone...I'm not sure he/she could turn off gps, but there are always very savvy criminals