Stolen driod x, can it be tracked

Reaction score
All the stuff about getting GPS location and recording sound through the mic while the device is even off lol...

No. Just, no. Not possible. Spyware or whatever can be on your phone all you want but if its powered off that thing ain't doin jack !@#$!

Also in order to track your phone GPS wise you must have software already installed on it before it got lost/stolen. This doesn't help OP at all sadly. Best of luck to you mate

The ability to do it while the phone is powered down has been showcased on numerous news programs and articles (on the net and in print), so you are wrong in "lol"ing at people who suggest it.

A lot of phones don't completely power off, they simply go into a sleep mode. That is how some of the software takes advantage of being able to listen to your conversations and such because they don't wake up the screen and such while active.

All of the news stories and articles point to removing the batter if you want to truly be safe from spying.

TommyV

Reaction score
Sadly, I don't know anyone that would want to listen to my conversations.

DaRkL3AD3R

Reaction score
All the stuff about getting GPS location and recording sound through the mic while the device is even off lol...

No. Just, no. Not possible. Spyware or whatever can be on your phone all you want but if its powered off that thing ain't doin jack !@#$!

Also in order to track your phone GPS wise you must have software already installed on it before it got lost/stolen. This doesn't help OP at all sadly. Best of luck to you mate

The ability to do it while the phone is powered down has been showcased on numerous news programs and articles (on the net and in print), so you are wrong in "lol"ing at people who suggest it.

A lot of phones don't completely power off, they simply go into a sleep mode. That is how some of the software takes advantage of being able to listen to your conversations and such because they don't wake up the screen and such while active.

All of the news stories and articles point to removing the batter if you want to truly be safe from spying.

This would only apply to people who honestly believe pressing the screen lock button on their phone really "turns it off." This is nothing more than a pseudo sleep mode, and even then Android has partial wake lock with apps running in the background. Folks, this is not the same as a phone that is OFF.

Yes it is totally possible if you had your phone in STANDBY for an app to maliciously run while in said state and record, upload and track your phone. However this is not the same as holding the lock button and hitting power off. If the phone is off there is no way for any software, good or bad, to run and collect data. It's 100% impossible. And that's a fact.

If what you were saying is true, then that would apply to PC's as well. If my computer was off someone could use my headphones mic to record sound? What a load of bull. Get real people. Don't buy into everything on 5 o clock news.

Last edited:

jasonppp

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
tis funny you say that just last night on ncis they did exactly what i am talking about.

you must be to young to know John Edgar Hoover and the stories behind that man.

also here is some educational reading for you

also ironic you bring computers into this convo do you got any idea what nt authority is and what purpose it serves?

now i am gonna back out because already this discussion is going towards politics

Last edited:
Reaction score
This would only apply to people who honestly believe pressing the screen lock button on their phone really "turns it off." This is nothing more than a pseudo sleep mode, and even then Android has partial wake lock with apps running in the background. Folks, this is not the same as a phone that is OFF.

No. As demonstrated repeatedly, it applies to phones which have been powered down but really only go to an advanced sleep mode. I am sorry that you did not understand it the first time I said it.

Yes it is totally possible if you had your phone in STANDBY for an app to maliciously run while in said state and record, upload and track your phone. However this is not the same as holding the lock button and hitting power off. If the phone is off there is no way for any software, good or bad, to run and collect data. It's 100% impossible. And that's a fact.

Which is exactly why I mentioned the sleep state which a lot of phones use instead of actually powering off. Nowhere did I say that it happens in a completely powered off state, again supported by the fact that I mention a battery pull.

And that's a fact.

If what you were saying is true, then that would apply to PC's as well. If my computer was off someone could use my headphones mic to record sound? What a load of bull. Get real people. Don't buy into everything on 5 o clock news.

It does apply to PCs. In fact, I was the co-author of a nice little piece of software that would turn on webcams to watch people while their machines were in sleep mode and hibernation. Again, I never said anything about being in a "real" powered-off mode. I said in a sleep mode.

Get real, dude. Learn some reading comprehension and then get back to me.

arabstar1982

Reaction score
I just downloaded the Mobile recovery app, and I have to say, it is pretty darn accurate! It located my phone to my home, right where it is sitting next to me in the chair. I am impressed that it pinpoints right down to the address. Yes, that only makes sense since you are trying to locate a lost or stolen phone, but still, it is impressive to me.... sometimes it doesn't take much though LOL I highly recommend the app.

jasonppp

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Get real, dude. Learn some reading comprehension and then get back to me.

Bro i gave up on it, this guy probably never seen the darkside of technology.

"you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink"

DaRkL3AD3R

Reaction score
Which is exactly why I mentioned the sleep state which a lot of phones use instead of actually powering off. Nowhere did I say that it happens in a completely powered off state, again supported by the fact that I mention a battery pull.

And that's a fact.

Maybe not you, but jasonppp did.

"Forget about PC spyware, they're nothing compared with mobile phone spyware that enables call- and text-monitoring. But worst of all, mobile phone spyware allows anyone to tap into the phone remotely and activate its microphone, even when it is turned OFF.

i heard that all smartphones have a chip built in that even if shutoff. a signal can be sent to the phone to pull the gps location. w/o turning the phone on but it has to be a master signal from carrier.

I think we can both agree that a device in STANDBY yes, can run certain malicious code and record and upload information. Because the device is not truely off.

I am still correct that a computer device when powered off will not and cannot record and send digital data over any lines whatsoever. To even COMPARE our devices, smartphones and PC's, to a hardwired land-line telephone is ridiculous. These, as I'm sure you know, are powered by the modem line, straight to the telephone pole. There IS no power on off state short from it being plugged in able to make calls.

Speaking of horses, people should get off theirs. It's just a forum.