Stock vs. Root - Official Stop Bashing Thread

PhoneSter

Reaction score
:icon_ poke:
Can't we all just get along?
Root vs. stock seems to be getting like a political side or a religion. I'm sure those subjects are not allowed to be discussed in Droid Forums, so why do we allow stock / root bashing? Were talking about a smart phone here, so lets act smart :)
I read every day in many posts where rooters step in and tell us how great thier ROM is and that stock stinks, good for you, enjoy. I have my reasons for not rooting others may have many different reasons, Do not assume because we do not root were stupid. I was writing DOS programs when I’m sure some here were not even in diapers. I'm not here to bash rooters... I’m here to ask you to stop slamming non rooters and enjoy the droid. Think of Droid Forums as a family where you’re at a family event and would not dare bring up something to tick others off… what fun is that?
Let the flames begin:popcorn:

CatsTide

Reaction score
sorry but i haven't read any bashing threads.if someone doesn't want to root...more power to em, no big deal....and there are some stupid folks that do root :blush:

Reaction score
i think its pretty simple but here an analogy, rooting is like having kids, you either want them or you dont want them its that simple. but sometimes accidents happen or peer pressure happens and then you end up with kids.

point is you either want to root or dont want to root or you come on here and people pressure you to root. but just because rooting is far better than stock doesnt mean you have to root ;)

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have not seen any official threads started saying that the non rooters are stupid this seems like a thread just to stir people up. o well to each there own... (let the flames begin) my point exactly...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't think the op is saying that entire threads have been started to talk trash on people won't root, but i think the peer pressure mentioned above is probably more what he/she is getting at. I've seen many cases where someone has a stock issue easily addressed while maintaining stock and people come in and suggest that rooting is the best answer.

I get the impression that the op just wants people who prefer the rooted route to not push their opinions on others. Obviously, that's a generalization because not everyone who's rooted is "pushy," but there are enough to overwhelm someone who has no intention of rooting even after learning of all the things that can be done. Also, it stands to reason that someone new to the forum with a simple stock issue probably isn't someone who should be told that they should root. IMO, if you can't figure out how to use basic stock functions, you shouldn't be playing with root access.

I was on the fence for quite a while about rooting before I did it, then I got over-involved and spent too much time modding and tweaking things. I enjoyed over-clocking and additional features and the ability to remove crap apps that I never used, but that stuff isn't for everyone.

The Droid is a GREAT phone stock. I'm actually back to stock now. Started a new job and decided my free time is better spent on other things, so I'm not even manually installing 2.1.

Bottom line, we're all entitled to our own opinions, but please be careful that you're only offering options, and not convincing someone to do something they don't feel they want/need to do.

:D

mjs31

Reaction score
I don't think the op is saying that entire threads have been started to talk trash on people won't root, but i think the peer pressure mentioned above is probably more what he/she is getting at. I've seen many cases where someone has a stock issue easily addressed while maintaining stock and people come in and suggest that rooting is the best answer.

I get the impression that the op just wants people who prefer the rooted route to not push their opinions on others. Obviously, that's a generalization because not everyone who's rooted is "pushy," but there are enough to overwhelm someone who has no intention of rooting even after learning of all the things that can be done. Also, it stands to reason that someone new to the forum with a simple stock issue probably isn't someone who should be told that they should root. IMO, if you can't figure out how to use basic stock functions, you shouldn't be playing with root access.

I was on the fence for quite a while about rooting before I did it, then I got over-involved and spent too much time modding and tweaking things. I enjoyed over-clocking and additional features and the ability to remove crap apps that I never used, but that stuff isn't for everyone.

The Droid is a GREAT phone stock. I'm actually back to stock now. Started a new job and decided my free time is better spent on other things, so I'm not even manually installing 2.1.

Bottom line, we're all entitled to our own opinions, but please be careful that you're only offering options, and not convincing someone to do something they don't feel they want/need to do.

:D

Although I have not seen any bashing and am a rooting advocate, I am also one the believes rooting is pushed to fast. You have people rooting their droids that don't know how to remove an app from their desktop. That is just crazy. People should learn their phone first. I guess us first day people were lucky in a way since we did not have immediate rooting ability, but some things new people are having issues with is just plain not understanding the phone.

That being said, sometimes rooting IS the ONLY answer for some issues. To not mention it would be wrong and not truly giving an answer. I just say don't root until you know your Droid. If you have only had it a couple of weeks, you don't know it. Believe me. After that, I will stick with my rooting recommendation. That being said, I have never personally removed any stock apps via rooting. That is not to say the Rom I am running has not done it, but I have never just done it because I could. That can cause issues. I don't really understand the need to do it although each has their own reasons.

To the OP. Fact is, rooting does have its advantages and offers new and interesting things that people may not realize. If done smartly it is really a limited risk experience with so many benefits. I have not seen bashing, but will say that many have asked how I immediately send them a screen shot or why my phone is so much quicker. Should I lie? Fact is rooting is the answer.

Good luck to all. Learn your Droid and then do what makes you happy (hint....see my above comment lol)

2001400ex

Reaction score
I read a lot on these forums, read probably 90% of the pages on the 2.1 threads and I think the "war" is so overated. Yeah some rooters brag about it, yeah some non rooters get offended, who cares. Honestly I think the mods are too quick to react and just fill up the threads with warnings. And the non rooters whine. I don't see a problem with rooters touting what they have, I wouldn't have rooted without their information.

P.S. I rooted last Sunday, finally, and unrooted yesterday to get official update. So I am not biased either way.

huskur

Reaction score
We are DROID owners. Yes "owners". So each of us makes our OWN decision on what we would like to do with our phone.

It's no different than buying a new SS Camero and putting a "super chip" in it to double its horsepower. You KNOW you will VOID your warranty but its your car and can do whatever you want.

The thing is though....you ACCEPT all consequences with your choices you make. Good, Bad, Right, Wrong or Indifferent.

I am rooted.....if my phone burns up and catches on fire and burns my house down.....well....it's my fault. I made the decision.

(for some, they are just scared to damage their Droid, which i understand but for me....if my droid fries...i will just get another)

qwiksilver711

Reaction score
While I do agree with the OP, rooting is pushed at times too much. I do find however that sometimes when rooting isn't pushed, and just suggested, people explode. I find that if rooting is even mentioned the flaming begins on some days. I have even seen threads (although not for awhile) asking for a section for rooters (hacks section anyone?) and stating that rooted people need to stay in that section only (mmm segregation ) I agree that rooting shouldn't be taken lighttly, and when I rooted I knew nothing, and probably shouldn't have been messing with it at that time. Even with just root access it took me a month to get the ballz to flash my first rom. I enjoy rooting, if only for the color scheme that smoked glass gives me and thats pretty much the only reason. But I agree, stop the bashing, but IMO I see most of the bashing come from people who aren't rooted freaking about people mentioning offhandedly that they are rooted. Most of the time when I post an issue, I mention that I'm rooted, as that is a variable that should always be mentioned, and I apologize for the fact that I'm rooted for fear of being flamed to death before I get an answer (mmm segregation). ok, time to go home from work, I'm done ranting, just my .02

<end>

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I just like breaking things.

...and seeing if I can fix em. :)

2001400ex

Reaction score
While I do agree with the OP, rooting is pushed at times too much. I do find however that sometimes when rooting isn't pushed, and just suggested, people explode. I find that if rooting is even mentioned the flaming begins on some days. I have even seen threads (although not for awhile) asking for a section for rooters (hacks section anyone?) and stating that rooted people need to stay in that section only (mmm segregation ) I agree that rooting shouldn't be taken lighttly, and when I rooted I knew nothing, and probably shouldn't have been messing with it at that time. Even with just root access it took me a month to get the ballz to flash my first rom. I enjoy rooting, if only for the color scheme that smoked glass gives me and thats pretty much the only reason. But I agree, stop the bashing, but IMO I see most of the bashing come from people who aren't rooted freaking about people mentioning offhandedly that they are rooted. Most of the time when I post an issue, I mention that I'm rooted, as that is a variable that should always be mentioned, and I apologize for the fact that I'm rooted for fear of being flamed to death before I get an answer (mmm segregation). ok, time to go home from work, I'm done ranting, just my .02

<end>

Exactly, at least I am not the only one that thinks the non rooters are being babies, err I mean whining, err I mean freaking out about people mentioning root. LOL

Come on guys, this is a forum for everyone, rooters and non rooters.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Rooters belong at the back of the bus.

...because thats where the party is :D