1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Stock vs. Root - Official Stop Bashing Thread

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by PhoneSter, Apr 3, 2010.

1. PhoneSter

PhoneSter New Member

:icon_ poke:
    Can't we all just get along?
    Root vs. stock seems to be getting like a political side or a religion. I'm sure those subjects are not allowed to be discussed in Droid Forums, so why do we allow stock / root bashing? Were talking about a smart phone here, so lets act smart :)
    I read every day in many posts where rooters step in and tell us how great thier ROM is and that stock stinks, good for you, enjoy. I have my reasons for not rooting others may have many different reasons, Do not assume because we do not root were stupid. I was writing DOS programs when I’m sure some here were not even in diapers. I'm not here to bash rooters... I’m here to ask you to stop slamming non rooters and enjoy the droid. Think of Droid Forums as a family where you’re at a family event and would not dare bring up something to tick others off… what fun is that?
    Let the flames begin:popcorn:
  2. brosenberger

brosenberger New Member

Doesn't "let the flames begin" imply that you are asking for drama about a topic that is anti-drama?
  3. CatsTide

CatsTide New Member

sorry but i haven't read any bashing threads.if someone doesn't want to root...more power to em, no big deal....and there are some stupid folks that do root :blush:
  4. NeverEndingXsin

NeverEndingXsin New Member

i think its pretty simple but here an analogy, rooting is like having kids, you either want them or you dont want them its that simple. but sometimes accidents happen or peer pressure happens and then you end up with kids.

point is you either want to root or dont want to root or you come on here and people pressure you to root. but just because rooting is far better than stock doesnt mean you have to root ;)
  5. justin82

justin82 Super Moderator Premium Member

I have not seen any official threads started saying that the non rooters are stupid this seems like a thread just to stir people up. o well to each there own... (let the flames begin) my point exactly...
  6. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Premium Member

I don't think the op is saying that entire threads have been started to talk trash on people won't root, but i think the peer pressure mentioned above is probably more what he/she is getting at. I've seen many cases where someone has a stock issue easily addressed while maintaining stock and people come in and suggest that rooting is the best answer.

I get the impression that the op just wants people who prefer the rooted route to not push their opinions on others. Obviously, that's a generalization because not everyone who's rooted is "pushy," but there are enough to overwhelm someone who has no intention of rooting even after learning of all the things that can be done. Also, it stands to reason that someone new to the forum with a simple stock issue probably isn't someone who should be told that they should root. IMO, if you can't figure out how to use basic stock functions, you shouldn't be playing with root access.

I was on the fence for quite a while about rooting before I did it, then I got over-involved and spent too much time modding and tweaking things. I enjoyed over-clocking and additional features and the ability to remove crap apps that I never used, but that stuff isn't for everyone.

The Droid is a GREAT phone stock. I'm actually back to stock now. Started a new job and decided my free time is better spent on other things, so I'm not even manually installing 2.1.

Bottom line, we're all entitled to our own opinions, but please be careful that you're only offering options, and not convincing someone to do something they don't feel they want/need to do.

:D
  7. Rollingbones

Rollingbones New Member

OKay... My ROOT cellar is totally STOCKed up!!!:yeahbaby01:I'm good just as I am....
  8. mjs31

mjs31 New Member

Although I have not seen any bashing and am a rooting advocate, I am also one the believes rooting is pushed to fast. You have people rooting their droids that don't know how to remove an app from their desktop. That is just crazy. People should learn their phone first. I guess us first day people were lucky in a way since we did not have immediate rooting ability, but some things new people are having issues with is just plain not understanding the phone.

That being said, sometimes rooting IS the ONLY answer for some issues. To not mention it would be wrong and not truly giving an answer. I just say don't root until you know your Droid. If you have only had it a couple of weeks, you don't know it. Believe me. After that, I will stick with my rooting recommendation. That being said, I have never personally removed any stock apps via rooting. That is not to say the Rom I am running has not done it, but I have never just done it because I could. That can cause issues. I don't really understand the need to do it although each has their own reasons.

To the OP. Fact is, rooting does have its advantages and offers new and interesting things that people may not realize. If done smartly it is really a limited risk experience with so many benefits. I have not seen bashing, but will say that many have asked how I immediately send them a screen shot or why my phone is so much quicker. Should I lie? Fact is rooting is the answer.

Good luck to all. Learn your Droid and then do what makes you happy (hint....see my above comment lol)
  9. 2001400ex

2001400ex Member

I read a lot on these forums, read probably 90% of the pages on the 2.1 threads and I think the "war" is so overated. Yeah some rooters brag about it, yeah some non rooters get offended, who cares. Honestly I think the mods are too quick to react and just fill up the threads with warnings. And the non rooters whine. I don't see a problem with rooters touting what they have, I wouldn't have rooted without their information.

P.S. I rooted last Sunday, finally, and unrooted yesterday to get official update. So I am not biased either way.
  10. huskur

huskur New Member

We are DROID owners. Yes "owners". So each of us makes our OWN decision on what we would like to do with our phone.

It's no different than buying a new SS Camero and putting a "super chip" in it to double its horsepower. You KNOW you will VOID your warranty but its your car and can do whatever you want.

The thing is though....you ACCEPT all consequences with your choices you make. Good, Bad, Right, Wrong or Indifferent.

I am rooted.....if my phone burns up and catches on fire and burns my house down.....well....it's my fault. I made the decision.

(for some, they are just scared to damage their Droid, which i understand but for me....if my droid fries...i will just get another)
  11. qwiksilver711

qwiksilver711 New Member

While I do agree with the OP, rooting is pushed at times too much. I do find however that sometimes when rooting isn't pushed, and just suggested, people explode. I find that if rooting is even mentioned the flaming begins on some days. I have even seen threads (although not for awhile) asking for a section for rooters (hacks section anyone?) and stating that rooted people need to stay in that section only (mmm segregation ) I agree that rooting shouldn't be taken lighttly, and when I rooted I knew nothing, and probably shouldn't have been messing with it at that time. Even with just root access it took me a month to get the ballz to flash my first rom. I enjoy rooting, if only for the color scheme that smoked glass gives me and thats pretty much the only reason. But I agree, stop the bashing, but IMO I see most of the bashing come from people who aren't rooted freaking about people mentioning offhandedly that they are rooted. Most of the time when I post an issue, I mention that I'm rooted, as that is a variable that should always be mentioned, and I apologize for the fact that I'm rooted for fear of being flamed to death before I get an answer (mmm segregation). ok, time to go home from work, I'm done ranting, just my .02

<end>
  12. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I just like breaking things.

...and seeing if I can fix em. :)
  13. 2001400ex

2001400ex Member

Exactly, at least I am not the only one that thinks the non rooters are being babies, err I mean whining, err I mean freaking out about people mentioning root. LOL

Come on guys, this is a forum for everyone, rooters and non rooters.
  14. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Rooters belong at the back of the bus.

...because thats where the party is :D
  15. HermitObserver

HermitObserver New Member

lol Adrynalyne, you made me chuckle XD
  16. DebDroid

DebDroid New Member

Perhaps you missed all the "i don't care about the update because i am rooted" in all the 2.1 threads?
  17. 2001400ex

2001400ex Member

And for every one of those, there was a mod saying to not mention milking the cow, err rooting. Haha this should be an open forum, I don't see the problem with people speaking their mind. That comment was on topic.
  18. b00mb00mchuck

b00mb00mchuck New Member

I'm a diehard rooter... but also the one who understands why you don't wanna root... any time I get into that conversation with someone and they "should I root??" I always say "no"... you shouldn't root if you're still questioning it... wait till you can't stand not being rooted... and if that feeling never comes then your not missing out on much... you still got a killer phone and we got the same damn thing with a bunch of crap on it that makes it look pretty and run a little quicker...
  19. Rollingbones

Rollingbones New Member

And now for a word from our sponsor:

Yes folks... is the ROM in your Droid all clogged up? Are you having trouble getting
    your Droid to do WHAT YOU want it to do?

Well, Moto Roorter maybe just what YOU'RE looking for.

Try Moto Rooter.. that's the name.. and away your troubles down the drain..
    ....Moto Rooter... Moto Rooter!!! Call Moto Roter TODAY!!!

Meanwhile back at the ranch...... (Sorry I couldn't resist)
  20. PhoneSter

PhoneSter New Member

Ok about kids compared as droids (sounds like stepford) ...kids, let me try to express my point more creative. If your at your kids school and your kid and 900 others are rooted, and 450 kids are not. If you preach day after day how much better your rooted kid is... the non rooted kids parents are gonna get sick of you

Bingo! Thank you! - you understand :icon_ banana:
    Ok your at your camero club, preaching day after day how much better your ride is.... after a while you'll be racing alone cause the non rooted cars don't wanta hear what losers they are.

like politics or religion.. stop pushing on people that don't want it.... sure drop leaflets, go door to door and thump your bible every now and then, thats fine... do it daily and repeatedly and non conformers will get pissed...
    Does that make sense?

By the way, I have rooted and returned due to some issues. If I read that one day we have a rooted rom that is indeed flawless. I will try again, right now I've yet to read one that does not have issues.
    Can anyone here truly tell me that the perfect rom exists ?
Search tags for this page

root vs stock