Stock (unrooted) Pro increasingly non-responsive

rocket_girl

Reaction score
My Pro is starting to drive me nuts. Everything freezes/force closes...text, web, email. SBF seems to solve the problem...for a couple of weeks, then it all happens again.

There is a pattern: slower response to everything, more finicky touchscreen, then everything locks up.

Even with all backup options in place (unrooted, so no Titanium...), setup still takes a couple of hours each time. This time, I stuck w/ stock launcher and uninstalled Launcher Pro just in case. Running unrooted Gingerbread OS (and love it)

Just about to give up on this phone, which I should otherwise love, as it has all features I most value. Almost ready to part with physical keyboard for faster, more reliable device!

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you tried non gingerbread? Maybe that's the key. My wife has no issues with hers on Froyo still and believe you me, I hear about it when there are problems.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
R

rocket_girl

Reaction score
Thought about that, but hated Froyo more, and had different buggy complaints about it.

GB is faster, better battery, MUCH better navigation/editing features (no more chasing little round target). More appealing UI on all counts except for black-on-white settings menus).I keep discovering new things to love about GB. Would rather reset w/ GB than revert to Froyo...it is that much better.

Without diminishing the frustration, I mostly just want to switch to Galaxy S II (whatever they decide to call it...whenever it comes...). Other factors in that equation - different thread for a different day. Bit of anticipatory rationalizing, perhaps.

StingRay

Reaction score
rg

when you get a chance, provide a list of apps that you currently have on your Pro...many times there are some apps that just don't play nice with certain phones...I've run into that both on the OG Droid and the Droid Pro...

I'm running rooted Gingerbread and really liking it, but you shouldn't be having the problems you are if you're running the stock OS....maybe something else causing your problem...

OP
R

rocket_girl

Reaction score
rg

when you get a chance, provide a list of apps that you currently have on your Pro...many times there are some apps that just don't play nice with certain phones...I've run into that both on the OG Droid and the Droid Pro...

I'm running rooted Gingerbread and really liking it, but you shouldn't be having the problems you are if you're running the stock OS....maybe something else causing your problem...

Thanks...I will make a list. Have discovered a few of those already (No Lock; Date in Tray...some of the purported battery-savers (name???). Half of what is on here is the infamous bloatware...should not be causing problems, but would be so nice to get rid of it all!)

StingRay

Reaction score
rg

Thanks...I will make a list. Have discovered a few of those already (No Lock; Date in Tray...some of the purported battery-savers (name???). Half of what is on here is the infamous bloatware...should not be causing problems, but would be so nice to get rid of it all!)

I just re-read your original post...not sure how I got that you were on stock OS, but anyway since you are on GB too I'll see if I can help...

I had a similar slow down and was having real problems when typing in any app..email, Handcent, Gmail, etc....would freeze up and or force close...

I started to reload the TBH Gingerbread files (2-part), but was worried that the GB files might be set up as an upgrade and wouldn't allow me to reload over Gingerbread if they were looking for previous OS...Instead I simply went into recovery (bootstrap)and cleared cache and dalvik...

Pro has been running spectacularly since simply wiping cache partition and dalvik cache....battery life on rooted GB has also been amazing....typically at 80% late in the afternoon with light to moderate use...

Give that a try and see if it helps any...let me know if you have ????'s

OP
R

rocket_girl

Reaction score
rg

I just re-read your original post...not sure how I got that you were on stock OS, but anyway since you are on GB too I'll see if I can help...

I had a similar slow down and was having real problems when typing in any app..email, Handcent, Gmail, etc....would freeze up and or force close...

I started to reload the TBH Gingerbread files (2-part), but was worried that the GB files might be set up as an upgrade and wouldn't allow me to reload over Gingerbread if they were looking for previous OS...Instead I simply went into recovery (bootstrap)and cleared cache and dalvik...

Pro has been running spectacularly since simply wiping cache partition and dalvik cache....battery life on rooted GB has also been amazing....typically at 80% late in the afternoon with light to moderate use...

Give that a try and see if it helps any...let me know if you have ????'s

I am unrooted, and you are right that I am running stock OS.

Can I do the things you suggest without being rooted (and not knowing exactly what a dalvik cache is)?

I am not a superuser - but I can follow detailed directions (installed unrooted GB successfully using info from this forum).

Would be so awesome to get the kind of (glitch-free!) performance you're getting!

StingRay

Reaction score
I am having a rough Monday...:icon_frown:

I need to leave early and get a drink....or 2

I have yet to correctly read your posts...okay, you are not rooted, running Gingerbread OS on your Droid Pro...

If you're not rooted, then it will be impossible for you to go into recovery and clear cache and dalvik...

I'm thinking the only option "unrooted" would be to do a "factory reset" and then reload the unrooted Gingerbread again (if factory reset removes)...I don't think that unrooted, stock OS gives you any other option like clearing cache, etc....and a battery pull is not enough to help your problem...

Only other possibility is to take a look at your apps to see if there is a conflict somewhere...

OP
R

rocket_girl

Reaction score
Factory reset does not remove GB (thankfully!). Back to the question of apps that don't play nicely...I will post a list soon!

OP
R

rocket_girl

Reaction score
apps...

rg

Ok, rg, here they are (no app killers!!) - note that more than a third of these come pre-installed (bloat):

Accuweather.com
Aluminum icon pack
amazon.com
Android Assistant
App Backup & Restore
Astrid Tasks
Attachments
Battery Monitor
Better Alarm Clock Pro
Bookmarks to SD (Dolphin browser add-on)
CNET news
DroidForums
Elixir
Executive Assistant (+ POP/IMAP lib and Tasks Add-on)
ExtDateWidget
Facebook
Flashlight
Fly Delta
Glass Analog Clock
ibox-icons
ibox - icons2
ibox- icons3
iTriage
Launcher Pro+Unlocker (***not running this now - testing to see if that changes anything)
Lookout
Yahoo Mail
Maps
Market
Minimalistic Text
Yahoo News
Rhapsody
ScrabbleHelper (+ unlock key)
ScreenLight
Slate
SMS Backup & Restore
SoundHound
Star Solitaire
The Weather Channel
UK Newspapers Online
Uninstaller
WikiMobile
WordsFree
Zappos

If you see anything that raises red flags, would love to know about it! Thanks for the suggestion - and for taking the time to scan the list! :)

OP
R

rocket_girl

Reaction score
rg

Ok, rg, here they are (no app killers!!) - note that more than a third of these come pre-installed (bloat):

Accuweather.com
Aluminum icon pack
amazon.com
Android Assistant
App Backup & Restore
Astrid Tasks
Attachments
Battery Monitor
Better Alarm Clock Pro
CNET news
DroidForums
Elixir
ExtDateWidget
Facebook
Flashlight
Fly Delta
Glass Analog Clock
ibox-icons
ibox - icons2
ibox- icons3
iTriage
Launcher Pro+Unlocker (***not running this now - testing to see if that changes anything)
Lookout
Yahoo Mail
Maps
Market
Minimalistic Text
Yahoo News
Rhapsody
ScreenLight
Slate
SMS Backup & Restore
SoundHound
Star Solitaire
The Weather Channel
UK Newspapers Online
Uninstaller
WikiMobile
WordsFree
Zappos

If you see anything that raises red flags, would love to know about it! Thanks for the suggestion - and for taking the time to scan the list! :)

Have also tried NoLock repeatedly - because I *really* want to be rid of the slider lock. It mostly never worked - with exception on very first try and again just before last reset. I had just reinstalled and actually had it work before latest hang-up and SBF.

Do NoLock and the Pro just not like each other? :icon_eek:

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
rg

Accuweather.com
Aluminum icon pack
amazon.com
Android Assistant
App Backup & Restore
Astrid Tasks
Attachments
Battery Monitor
Better Alarm Clock Pro
CNET news
DroidForums
Elixir
ExtDateWidget
Facebook
Flashlight
Fly Delta
Glass Analog Clock
ibox-icons
ibox - icons2
ibox- icons3
iTriage
Lookout
Yahoo Mail
Maps
Market
Minimalistic Text
Yahoo News
Rhapsody
ScreenLight
Slate
SMS Backup & Restore
SoundHound
Star Solitaire
The Weather Channel
UK Newspapers Online
Uninstaller
WikiMobile
WordsFree
Zappos

Have also tried NoLock repeatedly - because I *really* want to be rid of the slider lock. It mostly never worked - with exception on very first try and again just before last reset. I had just reinstalled and actually had it work before latest hang-up and SBF.

Do NoLock and the Pro just not like each other? :icon_eek:
Can't help but jump in here. I use NoLock and it works with no issues...but, instead of pressing any key like you could in Froyo for it to open the phone you have to use the volume bar.

Far be it from me to judge what apps, or how many, anyone has on their phone. That said, I think the phrase "keep it simple stupid" kinda applies here in terms of how many apps you have that might be competing for your phone's resources. If a lot of those apps load at startup, or load on their own, that may be part of your problem. You can check to see what apps are using your resources by menu>settings>applications>manage applications>apps running. If you see apps running that you are not using, don't plan on using anytime soon, or don't use very often, then maybe you can uninstall that (those) app or force close it...but that doesn't prevent it from starting on its own sometimes. Watchdog is a good app (free in the market) that gives you a good idea of what apps are eating your systems resources at any giving time. You might be surprised what you find. Bottomline...the more apps you have running on your system at any one time the more likely you're going to fine apps that don't run "together" without causing the problems you outline.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Holy sweet apps batman. If I could only have that many on my OG! Ha.

I think jp is right. Watchdog would be able to help you nail down whether an app is requesting resources all the time.

SingingAlcazar

Reaction score
Hey there,

I too have been having similar problems with an unrooted stock GB.

Even worse it locks up and then goes into reboot loops.

I have isolated the problem and can replicate it as follows:

- Attached to a WEP2 PSK wifi network
- Walk away and into an elevator with the wifi on
- Get in the elevator
- By the time the phone gets to the bottom it is unresponsive and starts into a reboot loop

HOWEVER if I turn off the wifi before I walk away it is fine.

It is, in my case, clearly related to when i turn on the wifi and it looks for a signal.

OP
R

rocket_girl

Reaction score
Wild! Hard to decide which is more fascinating: the details of your problem or your successful replication and ability to avoid it!

I actually stopped using the wi-fi pre GB, because of bugs w/ that not letting me shut it off. Kept searching for signal when (I knew) there was none to be found (and I therefore wanted it off)...draining the battery.

I did have problems w/ random reboot loops...also pre-GB: phone would turn off and reboot...I would only know it from the sound of 'ddddrrrrrrooooooiiiiiddd' when it restarted itself. No more reboots since GB, but also no wi-fi. I am aware (from forums) of the ongoing issues w/ wi-fi on many Droid-model phones.

I am fine for now without wi-fi (came from a BB, so I haven't acclimated). I don't have broadband @ home...on purpose...like a growing number of people, I use the phone as sole means of web access at home. Don't need it at work, and don't need it *enough* in other places to bother with it. Have unlimited data and am not a heavy user, so until that vanishes for everyone, I'm cool without it.