Stock Thunderbolt rebooting randomly

Viper Daimao

Reaction score
the 4G/3G handoff is not causing the reboots. I reboot and never have my phone on LTE\EvDo.

polo3034

Reaction score
I posted this in one of the other threads, but I'm having good luck eliminating reboots by going into Menu---Manage Applications and then Force Stop on the FM Radio app and widget.

I was only having 1/2 reboots a day after the OTA update, but this might help others.

Worth a shot, at least.

ajbehzadi

Reaction score
Rebooting Thunderbolt and dead spot

I get reboots to thoug not that often (once every 2 days) BUt I have another problem and that is I get a vertical dead spot line on the screen. I can not type a letter that falls on the line or launch an application that falls on that line.
Going to try and do a hard reset. Wil lle tyou know if that worked.

ajbehzadi

Reaction score
I get reboots to thoug not that often (once every 2 days) BUt I have another problem and that is I get a vertical dead spot line on the screen. I can not type a letter that falls on the line or launch an application that falls on that line.
Going to try and do a hard reset. Wil lle tyou know if that worked.

OK Update. The reset didn;t work. Took it to Verizon store, they reset it again, with same result. They are going to send me another one next week.
They mentioned not to do the latest andriod update. IT is causing problems.

tycedeano

Reaction score
the 4G/3G handoff is not causing the reboots. I reboot and never have my phone on LTE\EvDo.

I had my first reboots today (three that I know of). When I was in Orlando last week I set it to 4G only (usually use the CDMA- Auto setting in my home town). Today I went back to CDMA- Auto and it has been rebooting ever since.:mad:

Viper Daimao

Reaction score
Verizon is shipping me a Droid Charge overnight if i like it ill keep it if not ill send it back
good luck. From what I've read it's not the sleakest looking and doesn't have the best hardware, but the OLED screen is supposed to really keep the power down and looks great.

tc3

Reaction score
Gave up after 4 replacements ..new different phone on its way.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

razng2grtboys

Reaction score
My TB reboots randomly, but not very often at all...maybe once every 2-3 days. I'm constantly going between 3g and 4g areas, but my reboots seem to usually happen when I'm not even using the phone. It's just sitting at my desk and I hear it reboot.

rockula

Reaction score
I changed my Tbolt to CDMA (PRL) and so far, I've only had one reboot. It's funny because when traveling my usual routes, I go in and out of 1X and 3G numerous times, and the phone is able to keep track of that easily because I watch the signal just to see. Under the factory setting, it doesn't quite show that. Since I'm not anywhere close to a 4G network, the only thing my phone will show me is a 3G signal, sometimes with little to no bars or data i/o. Now that I've changed it to CDMA (Prl), where i would usually be stuck on 3G with a poorly performing phone, it hands off to 1x and works at least.

This proves what others and myself have been saying about this Tbolt and rebooting/loss of data... that it's doubtfully not bad hardware, but A. how rotten your area's networks are and B. The phones ability to handle the handoffs as it switches towers. I'm thinking that has to be a software/firmware problem rather than something physically wrong with the Tbolt. Unless the Tbolt's design makes it this way.

So... am I to understand that all Smartphones are prone to this? Or just smartphones that are 4G capable? Or is this mostly specific to the TBolt and not other VZW 4G phones? If they aren't having this problem, what about them is different? The software/firmware? If so, then does this mean that the problem CAN eventually be fixed on the TBolt? Or will it only be fixed when the cell towers address the issue?

If it's a cell tower issue, and mostly a Tbolt thing, why would the tower owners be in a huge hurry to address it, if it works for the majority of the other phones.

mtnbkrbob

Reaction score
update to my other two update since op.

well i was getting reboots went thru verizon tech support and did the factory reset. still had reboots called tech supoport and they sent me another device (a refurb) well i turn it on and the speaker didnt work out of the box. so went to a verizon store to get ANOTHER thunderbolt and they refused to give me a new said they didnt have any or something to that. so they ordered me another refurb where i had to wait a week to get. tech support had it over nighted. well i have the third thunder bolt in as many weeks and im just waiting to set it up since i had verizon turn my og moto droid back on. so we will see if this thunerbolt even hickups I WILL BE GETTING A DIFFERENT DEVICE OR A BRAND NEW ONE !

kykyth

Reaction score
This may help cut down on reboots

Hey, I am a owner of a Thunderbolt and contacted the Verizon support team. When I called I was having multiple reboots a day, but then they were cut back after disabling a few 3rd party apps as they instructed me to. If you have ANY 3rd party apps that control mobile data, disable it, etc you need to disable them. Apps such as JuiceDefender and LTE On/Off can cause rebooting because they edit the code in the phone and cause the phone to reboot once a certain unknown process occurs while these apps are active. It has to do with the fact that the LTE network now uses a SIM Card, and cause issues when mobile data is being altered. After I removed and disabled apps like those, it completely stopped any problems involving rebooting for me. So give that a try for the time being until they can come up with some sort of fix to stop these issues while 3rd party apps are active.

Last edited: