Stock phone after ota

Camoxjeep

Reaction score
OK, just got the refurbished phone in the mail today. once I activate this phone and wait for the official ota, can I then reroot and reinstall purity and everything else I had?

Bionic bootstrapped running (P)URITY BAS3 2.5 Go launcher w/Windows 7 theme

chucklehead

Reaction score
From what I understand the OTA fixes the exploit which allowed the phone to be rooted in the first place and I don't believe a new way to root has been worked out yet. That being said, you may not want to accept the OTA until a way to reroot has been figured out. There is a "forever root" floating around but I'm not sure it works after updating.

ripper2860

Reaction score
From what I understand the OTA fixes the exploit which allowed the phone to be rooted in the first place and I don't believe a new way to root has been worked out yet. That being said, you may not want to accept the OTA until a way to reroot has been figured out. There is a "forever root" floating around but I'm not sure it works after updating.

No one really knows as the official OTA is not out. Only leaked versions so far and no one except Moto and maybe Soak Testers know what the official will contain.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

There have been, I think, four leaked versions so far and only one of them was reported to fix the exploit. There was 5.5.893, 5.6.893, 5.7.893, 5.8.893 (think!! this is the one that was reported as blocking the exploit) and 5.8.894. The other did not block root. If you are rooted there is a "Forever Root" script that will, or at least it did with the other leaks, retain root after an update. Here's the instructions for doing it manually:

Forever root manual method:

Open an app such as Root Explorer from the market
Navigate to the system/bin/mount_ext3.sh
At the top of the screen press the Mount R/W button
Long press mount_ext3.sh
Select copy
Navigate to sdcard-ext
Press paste (this will put a clean copy of this file on your sdcard in case things go badly)
Navigate back to system/bin/mount_ext3.sh
Long press mount_ext3.sh
Select Open in Text Editor
Scroll to the bottom of the file
Press the the return key on the keyboard to put a empty line
type the following:

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

(note: there is a single space between chmod and 4755 and there is a single space between the 5 and the /.)

Press save
Press the Mount R/O button at the top of the page
Navigate back to mount_ext3.sh file and long press it and select "View as Text" in order to confirm the new lines are in fact in the file now.
Exit and reboot.

djsiva

Reaction score
I got the OTA today and it didn't break root. I was able to open Root Explorer immediately afterward.