Stock OTA Gingerbread Sync Icon

joenforcer

Reaction score
I need some help.

I'm aware that a lot of people have this issue. The sync icon is stuck for me. I've been searching for a couple hours and found that yes, the problem is with Motorola's Contacts Sync app. Force closing it doesn't work; it comes back in a few minutes. It drains my battery. I can't freeze it, rename it, whatever since I don't have root access.

I am aware that wiping my data should fix the problem. However, I am worried about losing my application data. I am not worried about the apps themselves, but the settings/saves/progress I have in all my apps and games; I don't want to lose that.

Last time I had to wipe (hardware failure), Google didn't replace my apps; I have no idea if Google would replace app data either. I just want to know if there's some way I can back up my app data somehow (remember, I'm not rooted and the OTA as of yet isn't rooted) so I can make my life after wipe a little less painful.

Oh, and if you know how to remove the sync icon without root, that would be even better. Thanks!

normal323

Reaction score
Was in the same boat (stock, never rooted, just installed OTA Gingerbread), and had the same issue w/ the sync icon being stuck. Like you, didn't want to have to wipe the phone. But I think I found the answer.

In addition to my Gmail account, I also had 2 Yahoo accounts and a corporate Exchange account set up on my phone. I removed the Yahoo and corporate accounts (leaving only the Gmail), and re-added them. So far, that seems to have done the trick; sync icon came on when I re-added each account, but then disappeared once the sync was done.

OP
J

joenforcer

Reaction score
Another user suggested this fix on another forum. I had a handful of other accounts and, what do you know, it worked. Perhaps we should be telling others to try this before doing a wipe.

Thanks!

Chris-pee

Reaction score
I had this issue on the first few leaks. Factory reset was the only fix.

skerm8

Reaction score
normal323, thanks for the tip. I was just in the process of wiping the phone when I saw your post. I removed my Yahoo and corporate accounts, and the icon went away. I re-added them, now all is perfect. You saved me a lot of work. Thanks.

qball6

Reaction score
Worked flawlessly. Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

unrootedroidx

Reaction score
Was in the same boat (stock, never rooted, just installed OTA Gingerbread), and had the same issue w/ the sync icon being stuck. Like you, didn't want to have to wipe the phone. But I think I found the answer.

In addition to my Gmail account, I also had 2 Yahoo accounts and a corporate Exchange account set up on my phone. I removed the Yahoo and corporate accounts (leaving only the Gmail), and re-added them. So far, that seems to have done the trick; sync icon came on when I re-added each account, but then disappeared once the sync was done.

This fix works--I was depressed when reading the forums because I had noticed a general battery drain and the pesky synch icon was a possible root cause (depends on who you want to believe). The depressed state came from anticipation of the reload and general reconstruction of the phone but the removal of two yahoo email accounts; a reboot; and then readding the accounts removed the synch icon on the notification bar that had been there since my Gingerbread OTA update last week.

I'll have to wait and see if the battery drain issue is still a problem but I am now a happy camper. Thanks to those who posted and identified the fix to this problem! The so called "experts" who are calling for a Factory Reset of the phone need to take a hard look at the advice that they are peddling!