Stock Music Player decides it doesn't want to recognize media files

grundrc

Reaction score
Does anyone know what would provoke the stock media player on the Droid X to all of a sudden stop recognizing the media files that it had been recognizing for almost 2 months? Any others with this issue? Any solutions short of completely deleting everything and starting over, if even that would work?

stock28

Reaction score
The stock music player has some issues and this is one of them. Just pull the battery and restart and you should be fine. Mine did this with all my ringtones and the battery pull fixed it. I have been using Poweramp music player and have not had any problems with it at all.

OP
G

grundrc

Reaction score
Thank you. It worked. That should have been the first thing I thought to do. Just wasn't thinking. I think I'm going to try Power Amp, also. Anything, to find a way to organize this music.

PhilD

Reaction score
this is a 2.2 update problem. any stand alone music app should solve the problem until verizon gets around to pushing the update motorola prepared a long time ago. cubed music player is my personal choice.

tstayjr

Reaction score
I to have been having problems with my music player, I am actually on my third X to see if Verizon can get me one that works. Would like to use a different player and have heard good things about Poweramp. How easy is it to load music onto poweramp? Any other player suggestions or feedback on poweramp would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

stock28

Reaction score
I use Isyncr to sync itunes and I was able to sync my entire music collection that I used on my Ipod before the X. It was simple to set up and works exactly like itunes on an Ipod. I use Power Amp as my music player and have no problems at all.

tstayjr

Reaction score
Downloaded Poweramp, so far so good. At least it has not frozen up my phone like the stock music player did. Cautiously optimistic at this point. As far as the sd card issue I will have to wait and see if using Poweramp will help with that. Thanks for the input everyone, it's nice to have support when Motorola will not help or acknowledge problem.

OP
G

grundrc

Reaction score
As I alluded to earlier, I did load PowerAmp yesterday. I found it very easy to organize music with it. I still don't really know how to set up folders from WMP and put them on the Droid, but PowerAmp made setting up Playlists far easier than anything else I had tried. Color me happy.

monkeywithgun

Reaction score
Had that problem and many others after downloading 2.2 OTA. Had to bring in store for them to wipe clean and reinstall 2.2. Seems that there where a lot of proplems with the OTA update that left some files on that should have been deleted. All is well and no proplems so far.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Denontechhelp

Reaction score
What you also want to check out for music downloading is the webroot program. I use it to move all my media files wirelessly.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

PhilD

Reaction score
Had that problem and many others after downloading 2.2 OTA. Had to bring in store for them to wipe clean and reinstall 2.2. Seems that there where a lot of proplems with the OTA update that left some files on that should have been deleted. All is well and no proplems so far.

are you saying that you can now use the stock music player without any problems at all - freezes, "media file unrecognized" errors, etc.? if so, how long has it been since you had 2.2 reinstalled and how often do you power cycle (reboot) your phone? thanks

tstayjr

Reaction score
Still doing good after downloading PowerAmp, still have trouble with photos being saved but that is not a big deal for me. I am torn about what music to use though, I like PowerAmp but I am curious about a couple of other players. Unfortunetly there are so many conflicting opinions on all the different players. Right not I am looking at doubleTwist and Music PlayerPro. Can anybody help with the positives and negatives involved with both. So far from my research I have found out that PlayerPro can't read m4a tags which a decent amount of my music is in that format (would prefer not to have to convert them). My main reason for wanting a good music player is so that I can ditch my iPod touch and not use iTunes anymore. Any input would be greatly appreciated, the more specific the better. Thanks in advance.

monkeywithgun

Reaction score

are you saying that you can now use the stock music player without any problems at all - freezes, "media file unrecognized" errors, etc.? if so, how long has it been since you had 2.2 reinstalled and how often do you power cycle (reboot) your phone? thanks

Yes. So far so good. I have had no problems after wiping the ota update. Hope that the fix that was given to me will solve your player issues.

PhilD

Reaction score
Yes. So far so good. I have had no problems after wiping the ota update. Hope that the fix that was given to me will solve your player issues.

thanks for the reply. i've been pretty busy with work lately and never did get around to taking my phone in to Verizon to try your suggestion. i am happy to report, however, that the 2.3.340 update was pushed to my phone a few nights ago and things seem to be working very well since. the music bug is one of the issues the update was supposed to address, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed, time will tell.

monkeywithgun

Reaction score

thanks for the reply. i've been pretty busy with work lately and never did get around to taking my phone in to Verizon to try your suggestion. i am happy to report, however, that the 2.3.340 update was pushed to my phone a few nights ago and things seem to be working very well since. the music bug is one of the issues the update was supposed to address, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed, time will tell.

I updated today also, love the new dialer. From my understanding the 2.2 ota update left some unwanted files on the phone and that's where we are having most of the problems. Again, I would wipe and reinstall 2.2 from the Verizon store. I have had no issues at all after I had it done. I hope you have the same success.