Stock messaging app slows to a crawl.

IronFox

Reaction score
Anyone else's stock messaging app slowing down so much that you can't use it? I can restart the phone or clear the app cache, setting and force stop it to make it speed up again. I have to do once every one or two days.

M

Mwsr

Mine did and I only had it for a few days

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

OP
IronFox

IronFox

Reaction score
I bought my DI2 the day it came out and have had no problems with it until a few days ago. You cant touch the icon and it will turn green 5 seconds after the touch. Every selection takes about 30 seconds to complete and loading another 30 seconds or so. The touch aspect of the keyboard works fine except the text has a 5 second delay before being put in the text box.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's weird - something else has gotta be causing it... I've had mine almost a month and never experienced any lag like that of any kind. Did you install anything or do anything a few days ago when the problems started?

OP
IronFox

IronFox

Reaction score
Now that you mention it I installed the eset mobile security around the time that it was slowing down, cant remember if the slow down started before or after i installed it.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Might be worth testing - I saw the lifehacker article about ESET, as comprehensive as that sounds (and beta right?), it wouldn't surprise me if that does something. Sometimes those antivirus (etc) apps can have a real negative effect on performance. Might not be it, but worth checking... If you do uninstall it, make sure you clear data in Messages and reboot before you test any more.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can use something like MyBackup Pro to backup your texts before you clear the data.

OP
IronFox

IronFox

Reaction score
I dont need to save the texts, the first thing I did when i experienced the first slow down was to delete all texts, I was thinking that it was trying to load too many. I read that same article which convinced me to install it in the first place. It is in beta which of course could cause problems.

PhDCow

Reaction score
I can't speak highly enough of Handcent for texting. Much better than the stock. I've had it since my first Droid in late '09.

Rogue27

Reaction score
Yeah I've had my incredible 2since launch and had no problems up until about a week ago can't even do things as simple as changing the wallpaper and sms has slowed down significantly

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
IronFox

IronFox

Reaction score
I tried Handcent and Go SMS but just didnt care for them. I like that you can customize nearly everything but sometimes because of that, theres just too much stuff to mess with to get it to work the way you want. I like the stock app just fine.

PhDCow

Reaction score
I tried Handcent and Go SMS but just didnt care for them. I like that you can customize nearly everything but sometimes because of that, theres just too much stuff to mess with to get it to work the way you want. I like the stock app just fine.

Good point. I tend to go stock unless I really like a replacement enough to fiddle with it.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Iron did your issues subside?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

OP
IronFox

IronFox

Reaction score
So far everything is working fine. Must have been that ESET security.

OP
IronFox

IronFox

Reaction score
Nevermind, false alarm. It just started to slow down like molasses in winter time. Again I had to reboot the phone.