Stock messaging app force closing

Jaysizzle

Reaction score
My phone normally doesn't lag much but for the past few weeks my stock messaging app has been lagging like crazy and forcing me to close it. Any ideas what could be causing the problem? My phone is all stock btw.

Longey775

Reaction score
mine too...u mean the stock sms service that comes with the phone????correct??? mines been force closing since the get go. hope the update addresses that issue.

polish23

Reaction score
I don't know how attached you two are to the standard messaging app, but try handcent... If you are experiencing the same problems then I'm not sure what to tell you as I have never had this problem with either of the TB's in my household

OP
J

Jaysizzle

Reaction score
I've tried a few different SMS apps and none of them really impressed me enough to take the plunge to make them permanent but if this issue persists I might just have to. When I first got the phone it would freeze from time to time but a simple reset would clear the problem. I text a lot and I have over 1500 sms saved in conversations. Most of the texts have absolutely nothing important in them but I like keeping them just in case I need to backtrack conversations. Could this have anything to do with the app freezing so much? I know the Thunderbolt is not the most powerful machine out there but It surely must be able to handle large text data, right?

OP
J

Jaysizzle

Reaction score
and yes Longey, I'm referring to the stock sms app that came with the phone.

VolDroid

Reaction score
Can't be much help here since I haven't used the stock messenger since I first got my OG Droid. I've been using Handcent for a year and a half now.

Longey775

Reaction score
copy u jaysizzle...i did go and install handcent and it runs way smoother and no force close issues in 3 days..is there a way to uninstall the stock sms system???thx guys with all ur help

OP
J

Jaysizzle

Reaction score
If you have a stock phone i'm pretty sure it's impossible to delete any of those apps as they are probably deemed critical to the system but then again I know nothing of how Android really works. Just an update though, ever since MR2 was released my stock messaging app has been working just fine and the keyboard no longer lags either. I guess it was a bit of a common issue if they addressed it with the update.