Stock is better than any custom rom

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by kiyanofosho, Apr 4, 2010.

1. kiyanofosho

kiyanofosho New Member

technically your stock rom is still custom, but its definitely to your liking. ive found that so far, my stock ese81 rom is the best compared to SS v3.0 and CyanogenMod 5.0.5.6. these roms are so kick ass, but theyre just not up to par with what i like. id rather get my stock rom to how I like it. my stock rom is overclocked with chevyz 1.1GHz kernal and so far it seems smoother and faster then the both ese81 roms ive tried. and faster than the ese53 ones too. so for the people that want to know which is better between stock and custom. id go with stock, then you can customize it.
  2. Kill_Em_All_84

Kill_Em_All_84 New Member

I just went back to stock last night from CyanogenMod because of the MMS video bug and my notification LED quit working. I loved the ROM and I may go back to it once that is fixed but everything on the stock ROM just runs so much smoother, even the haptic feedback seems to respond better.
  3. HarshReality

HarshReality Member

Everyone has an opinion.. but as the ROMs thus far have been based on partial or uncertified updates perhaps future dealings will produce a change in opinion
  4. bgill55

bgill55 New Member Theme Developer

your stock rom isnt stock if you added a new kernel! different strokes I guess!
  5. agent42o

agent42o New Member

Erm.... Chevys Kernel, I assume you are using a recovery, and have SU permissions... so tell me how this is stock?

Different strokes for different folks, I wanted features like VPN and Wifi Tethering out of my ROM, I also love the customization I get with Cyanogen, to each his own.
  6. jimmiem

jimmiem New Member

I understand what the OP is saying. I want a ROM personalized to my tastes. I don't know how to cook a ROM but everything I want to do I can do on top of the stock ROM. Root, Updated kernal for OC and tether, htc keyboard, etc... What you wind up with is far from stock but it's not a "custom ROM" either.
  7. powerwagon

powerwagon New Member

I'm not sure what you mean, what you are describing is a "custom rom".
  8. Riddick

Riddick New Member

"Stock" 2.1 rooted with over-clocking kernal > any rom out there at the moment.

Why? Faster and has less bugs.

You can install that stuff on your own. They're just normal .apk files.
  9. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

No, CM goes deeper than that. VPN and wifi tethering requires kernel support, as well.

For instance, no stock ROM out there can give you the option to have your LED work for notifications while the screen is on in 2.1. Nor do they add sound events to screen touches. Nor do they add usb tethering, or apps2sd. None give the option to change your LED for missed call events, or even for paused songs. None will allow you to skip songs with the volume button. I could go on , but the points been made.

It all ends up being personal preference as already stated.
  10. bL33d

bL33d Member

cyanogen is just the best i try them all included my own custom roms but none are as good as cyanogen.
  11. demonhawk

demonhawk New Member

Is there a custom Rom/App combo that allows you to change songs via the Volume button? It would be super helpful to me for when I'm using my phone as mp3 player in my pocket.
  12. agent42o

agent42o New Member

You're wrong. A lot of kernel mods have to happen for this to occur, hence when the Droid first got rooted people were trying to get the wifi tethering app to work but couldn't.
  13. Logan3824

Logan3824 New Member

Question...I'm thinking of using Pete's stock 2.1, has anyone tried using Chevy's low voltage kernel with it? Also you think I'll have any bugs if I am using BB.9 2.1right now and just go straight to the stock 2.1?
  14. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

@ demonhawk, no apps that I know of, only the cyanogen rom has that feature.

The title of this thread is misleading considering the op is talking about a custom rom he made and not the stock phone. Maybe it should be called "my custom rom is adequate or comparable to other custom roms" haha
  15. Riddick

Riddick New Member

"You can install that stuff on your own. They're just normal .apk files"

Did you guys read what was posted? You can install a custom kernal therefore you can get WIFI tethering. I specifically mentioned an over-clocking kernal, if you can't install a custom kernal and over-clock then the roms are superior, if you can then the "stock" 2.1 vanilla rom is superior. WIFI tethering is just an .apk file, the first time I used it I installed it on my own, it wasn't included with the rom I had.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. Most of that stuff is insignificant and is not a good trade-off for the amount of bugs you end up experiencing. The Apps2sd is experimental and barely works (breaks when you upgrade the rom, lots of other issues), you can skip songs with the volume button using certain music apps located in the market(Or at least I seem to remember there being an app that does that??), USB tethering is a free download in the market for even non-root users and always has been, etc.

I consider Cyanogen to be the best over-all rom when it comes to actually adding new unique features but none of those features are important enough to me to sacrifice the superior speed and stability I could get elsewhere. For me all I care about is speed, stability, and customization, in that order. A basic rom that is fast, stable, and I can customize on my own is my preference.
  16. Riddick

Riddick New Member

He's referring to a rom that is the stock 2.1 from Verizon except it gives you root and the ability to install a custom kernal. It's better than the majority of roms out there. Why would you rather use someone else's customizations when you could use your own? Isn't the purpose of rooting your phone so that you can make it how YOU want it and not how someone else wants it to be?
  17. powerwagon

powerwagon New Member

I think the issue people are having is not his theory, but the title of his thread...it is misleading. What the op is explaining is not "stock"...far from it. To each their own...I have the latest from Cyanogen and I have yet to have a FC...very stable and I like all of the tweaks included, but not for everyone I suppose.
  18. Riddick

Riddick New Member

You mean the elitist "I rooted my phone therefore I am cooler than anyone who uses stock" attitude? Who cares about the title, ignore it, read the post and reply based on what the OP actually says. The build created by Googles professional programmers + a new kernal + your own customizations is superior to any other rom out there as far as speed and stability goes.
  19. Mojo

Mojo New Member

To say one thing is better than the next, is not possible with out defining what "better" is. What makes it better for you, may not be better for the next one. I could say droidmod is the best ROM out there. It is by far the easiest to install. Does that make it the best? No... it only makes it the best for me. I could say blackdroid is the best because it has everything themed the way I like. But again, its only making it the best for me.

I have learned that when dealing with loading any custom firmware on a phone, whether it be android, WM, blackberry, etc... they will all work different depending on how well your responds to it. At the end of the day its all about personal preference and what works best for our individual needs. I personally think that comparisons like this should be left alone as they are pointless. And leave the words "the best" reserved for athletes.
  20. powerwagon

powerwagon New Member

Absolutely could not have said it better myself. That's the beauty of rooting...gives you the choice of doing whatever the heck you want to the phone, whether it be custom kernels to suit your needs, or already put together custom rom's. Either way it improves the truly stock phone in almost every way.

Definitely not an "elitist"...hell, I am just excited that I'm able to do half this stuff at no charge :)
Search tags for this page
any droid x roms better than stock
any roms better than cyanogenmod
are costume roms better than stock rom
galaxy s4 is custom rom better than stock?
stock android defined

stock android definition

what does the phrasefar from stock mean?
what is the meaning of stock android
why custom rom is better than official
why do i get wifi on custom rom but no wifi on stock
why is a custom rom better than android 4.2.1