Stock email app.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm having some difficulty with the stock email app. It will consistently run in the background after I open it. This morning it used 41 mins of CPU clock according to system panel. Would it just be easier to take my accounts out of the stock one and use K9?
Any suggestions would be excellent.

Sent from OG Droid using the Droidforums App.

ndhill1976

Reaction score
I don't use the stock email app, but I will try to help anyway.

How much battery did it use in this 41 minutes? Just because it ran 41 minutes does not necessarily mean that it used a lot of battery. It was probably just the amount of time that it spent polling your accounts.

Are you using a task killer to kill this app? If you are; the 41 minutes could be from the app having to start back up every time you kill it.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do not use the stock app either. It seem strange that it continued to run in the background. Were you downloading anything that may have hung?

I use K9 and it works very well for me. It may be worth while deleting your account in the stock app and re entering.

Let us know what you decide.

Mike

Have

ndhill1976

Reaction score
I do not use the stock app either. It seem strange that it continued to run in the background. Were you downloading anything that may have hung?

I use K9 and it works very well for me. It may be worth while deleting your account in the stock app and re entering.

Mike

Have

Good thinking, were you uploading or downloading any pictures or videos today?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Mike

Have

Good thinking, were you uploading or downloading any pictures or videos today?

Nah! Just a guess :)

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
In 29 mins it used 7% battery. First was display and next was droidforums app.
The thing is, I have it set to not check my email unless I sync it manually. If I forget to kill it it will just run forever.
Also, battery temp was up to 40°c because of It.

I'm using metickmod v2.2. His stuff isn't usually crazy, just the essentials so I doubt its the ROM.

I think I may try K9.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm having some difficulty with the stock email app. It will consistently run in the background after I open it. This morning it used 41 mins of CPU clock according to system panel. Would it just be easier to take my accounts out of the stock one and use K9?
Any suggestions would be excellent.

I ditched the native email app almost immediately after getting my Droid back in November for K-9. It is a much more robust and useful app. You can download it in the market, but be sure to check their website (Downloads - k9mail - Project Hosting on Google Code) frequently for updates as they do not keep the market version very current. In fact I noticed just a few minutes ago that there have been two updates since the market version was listed.

There is another option, use your gmail app to receive all email.

I now use gmail for all my email accounts. You can setup gmail to poll your pop3 accounts and then immediately push the emails to your gmail app on the phone. The accounts will be polled based on their email activity. The more emails received, the more frequently the account will be polled. It seems to me that the frequency is about 1 minute for accounts receiving a lot of emails and up to, but not more than (as it seems to me) 5 minutes. This is based on two of my accounts. One of which gets 50-100 emails a day and I get those within a minute of receipt. The other only gets 1 or 2 emails a day and I get those at about 3-5 minutes.

You can set this up by going to your gmail inbox on the Google website. In the upper right corner is a link titled “Settings”. Select it and then you add your pop3 account info. The other accounts will then be polled and emails sent to your phone along with any gmails you receive. The gmail app will list the emails designating which account they are from.

One of the main advantages of this is that it saves battery power as the phone is no longer polling the pop3 accounts on a timed basis. It is only active when emails are pushed to it. And of course you are then only dealing with one email app.

Good luck.

BTW, if you decide to do this be sure to delete your account info from the stock email app or set it to polling = Never.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like K9 is the best option at this time. let us know if it resolves the issue.

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did have Gmail pulling all my pop3 mail (2 accounts) but I was just trying out the stock email client to see how it worked. I think I may try K9 and possibly go back to Gmail only.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will let you know how I fare.