Stock email app?

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by stevo95, Jul 6, 2011.

1. stevo95

stevo95 New Member

Hi all

I have an original Droid and am looking to migrate to the Charge soon. I found the stock email app on the Droid pretty poor and have been using touchdown. How is email on the Charge, do you need to purchase a 3rd party app and if so, which one is recommended?

Thanks
  2. bweN diorD

bweN diorD Well-Known Member

i never had an og droid so ill just tell you what i know.
    you have to sign up for a gmail acct or i dont believe vzw will activate the phone. i have heard some say they had issues with all emails showing up but i never had that issue.
    i dont think its a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket, so i only use the required email for the market, i made a new one to use for forums and such, which is different from the few i use on my laptop. not all are "need to know" so i dont have them linked to my phone.

sorry if i ventured off your question, perhaps if you explain more your concerns, i/we can provide a more accurate response.
  3. stevo95

stevo95 New Member

Thanks for the response. I already have a gmail acct which is not a problem. I should have been clearer that I am more concerned about corporate email and an exchange server. In my experience, the stock email app was poor for corporate email and Touchdown was better although still not great. Possibly due to the small internal memory size of the Droid which kept getting filled up.

Am curious what people's experience with corporate email & exhange server setup has been. Do they use the included app or is there a better app (other than touchdown) that people recommend.

Also would be interested to know if my purchase of touchdown will transfer to a new device although I can probably find that out directly from them.
  4. bweN diorD

bweN diorD Well-Known Member

sorry i cant help with that, hopefully someone else can.
  5. showell81

showell81 New Member

email

It's much better, I had an OG Droid and now have the DC. MUCH better, folders, signature, server searching, no problem with calendar either.
    Can't change the font size of outgoing email which can be a little small, but that is literally the only problem I have encountered.

I used Touchdown on the OG Droid, I am also using it on the DC right now, just comparing. Touchdown feels sluggish for me...

The DC is a very nice upgrade over the OG Droid, but you might also want to consider the Droid Bionic which is coming out soon on VZW.
  6. stevo95

stevo95 New Member

Great, thanks, exactly what I needed to know. I am considering the bionic as well. Any other thoughts on the charge in comparison with the droid? I have been pretty happy with the droid apart from occasional erratic behavior which is normally cured with a factory reset. From playing with the charge in a store, I quite liked the speed and the way the home screen and apps work. Also quite impressed with more of the diagnostics which appear to be available.
  7. rexd1976

rexd1976 New Member

The Charge has the same email services as the Droid. I switched from the Original Droid to the Charge this week, and my partner did last week. The stock email app is the same. Plus it has the gmail app as well. We have no 3rd party email apps installed. If you are using a POP3 email account, it's best to set it up MANUALLY rather than automatically because you may not like the settings your email provider provides. That was our issue. When we let the settings configure automatically based on what Roadrunner provided, we were deleting emails from the server whenever we checked them in the phone.
Search tags for this page
droid charge discontinued stock email app

droid charge email app

samsung droid charge html email
samsung s4 stock email app