Stock Droid update problems

RyanEclipse

Reaction score
Hey folks, the issue started the first time I received the 2.1 update prompt. I hit okay and it rebooted but instead of performing the update it froze at the Motorola icon for hours, eventually had to pull the battery. The phone worked fine of course without the 2.1 update but I'd like the features.

I gathered all the info and the file to manually install the update but I've run into a major issue getting the phone into recovery mode to apply it. If I hold x and power the phone on it just freezes at the moto logo and the triangle with ! never shows up. I've tried this probably 40 times and I get the same results every time, I know I'm booting the phone up correctly to get into recovery mode but it just freezes.

Things I've tried:
-Removed battery
-Try to load into recovery with no battery just plugged into the charger
-Safe mode, removed any extra apps I downloaded except astro
-Manually update through phone options (says my phone is up to date)

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you go to "settings/about phone/system updates" do you have a download or install option? Does about phone say you are updated and on Firmware Version 2.1?

OP
R

RyanEclipse

Reaction score
If you go to "settings/about phone/system updates" do you have a download or install option? Does about phone say you are updated and on Firmware Version 2.1?

It says it's up to date if I try to, the version still says 2.0.1

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can maually update to 2.1; or just update to rooted 2.1. By the way there is no diff except if later you decide to install an oc kernel you will avoid the extra step of flashing rsdlite.

OP
R

RyanEclipse

Reaction score
How am I supposed to manually update to 2.1 if I can't the phone into recovery mode in order to apply the update?>

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How am I supposed to manually update to 2.1 if I can't the phone into recovery mode in order to apply the update?>

Not easily:)

As this is the stock section of the forum for help I'm going to shy away from root type solutions, though they do exist.

With a stock phone there is no reason you can't just bring it into Verizon and say "what's up with this?"

If you call tech support they will most likely have you try the following:

Settings/Privacy/Factory Data Reset.

Once done you will be prompted to reinitialize your phone, then sign in with your gmail credentials again. The phone will then do the OTA 2.1 upgrade again and hopefully it goes smoother this time.

Astro will let you backup the install apps you have on your phone so you don't have to go and grab them again.

OP
R

RyanEclipse

Reaction score
Factory reset failed, the phone can't even put itself into recovery mode in order to reset it lol. Freezes at moto logo during bootup. Original update must have fried the phone or somethin.