Stock Browser, major battery hog!

nitsuj

Reaction score
This problem just started for me, I'd say in the last 2 weeks. Only a few hours after taking my phone off charge at 100% my battery was very low. 30% or so. This is unusual for my use. Looking at the battery use screen always shows browser as using 80% or more of my battery. It seems like if I start the browser, it keeps running in the background, and for some reason is using tons of power. I do have an app killer program, but sometimes I forget to use it. I thought one of the big bennefits to the Android OS was it's ability to automatically shut down programs not in use to preserve memory and battery life. So, what gives?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This problem just started for me, I'd say in the last 2 weeks. Only a few hours after taking my phone off charge at 100% my battery was very low. 30% or so. This is unusual for my use. Looking at the battery use screen always shows browser as using 80% or more of my battery. It seems like if I start the browser, it keeps running in the background, and for some reason is using tons of power. I do have an app killer program, but sometimes I forget to use it. I thought one of the big bennefits to the Android OS was it's ability to automatically shut down programs not in use to preserve memory and battery life. So, what gives?

You're absolutely right, the browser on my phone is always running the browser in the background yet shows 0 battery use.

Perhaps you have an app running that is using the browser?

Ghostwheel

Reaction score

If it's running in the background, and you leave it on a web page that autorefreshes, that might cause higher drain. Try leaving it in a static page (i.e. Wikipedia). That might help a bit.

OP
nitsuj

nitsuj

Reaction score
I'll try that thanks. I don't think I have an app thats using the browser that's always running. Unless Weatherbug uses the browser. Who knows. Maybe it's time I start going through my apps and trimming the fat.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Do you leave the browser on google.com when you exit? There have been some reports of that draining the battery continually seraching for a gps signal. I set my homepage to about:blank and go to that before I exit the browser (I use Dolphin, but should be the same for stock).

OP
nitsuj

nitsuj

Reaction score
I don't usually pay attention to what page the browser is on when I close it. I just stop whatever I'm doing and go back to the home screen. Seems like a hassle to have to have to make sure I'm on just the right page to not kill the battery. But I guess it's what needs to be done.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
The default browser activates GPS for the "near me now" feature on the Google home page. Neither Dolphin nor xScope does so.

(Whatever Google did when they implemented "Buzz" resulted in an error for every browser but the default. No coincidence that Google is the source of the default browser, I think.)

My guess is that those who are experiencing major battery drain from the default browser are actually being hit with GPS searching. Try turning off your GPS and see if there's a difference. (The default browser will then use cell towers rather than the GPS for the "near me now" feature.)

Of course, one can also use either Dolphin or xScope and avoid the problem altogether.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The default browser activates GPS for the "near me now" feature on the Google home page. Neither Dolphin nor xScope does so.

(Whatever Google did when they implemented "Buzz" resulted in an error for every browser but the default. No coincidence that Google is the source of the default browser, I think.)

My guess is that those who are experiencing major battery drain from the default browser are actually being hit with GPS searching. Try turning off your GPS and see if there's a difference. (The default browser will then use cell towers rather than the GPS for the "near me now" feature.)

Of course, one can also use either Dolphin or xScope and avoid the problem altogether.

If it was the GPS wouldn't it indicate it as GPS in the battery use? I do believe there's a category for that.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't usually pay attention to what page the browser is on when I close it. I just stop whatever I'm doing and go back to the home screen. Seems like a hassle to have to have to make sure I'm on just the right page to not kill the battery. But I guess it's what needs to be done.
Pay attention to your notification bar. If GPS is on and you're not using it then you're probably leaving it on a page that uses GPS. That will eat your battery very quickly.