Stock 905 to new ICS update Question

brunla

Reaction score
Is it best to do a factory reset NOW before the update comes, or wait for the update and install ICS THEN do a factory reset?
Thoughts?

Droids

Reaction score
There is no need to do a reset before or after. Just let the update install. IF you have issues after the update you can consider doing a reset but it's unlikely you will have any problems. I was surprised at how well the update worked. All my apps were there and working, text messages all there. Nothing lost and everything works perfectly.

OP
B

brunla

Reaction score
I've read a lot of posts that stated people have had issues and they had to do a factory reset which corrected them. I was just thinking ahead and see if it might be smoother to do it before installing ICS, but it sounds like doing it after is an option like you stated.

There is no need to do a reset before or after. Just let the update install. IF you have issues after the update you can consider doing a reset but it's unlikely you will have any problems. I was surprised at how well the update worked. All my apps were there and working, text messages all there. Nothing lost and everything works perfectly.

mattjenn

Reaction score
brunla said:
I've read a lot of posts that stated people have had issues and they had to do a factory reset which corrected them. I was just thinking ahead and see if it might be smoother to do it before installing ICS, but it sounds like doing it after is an option like you stated.

Only issue you may have is battery life if it don't settle in after 3-4 days boot into recovery and wipe cache partition don't need to factory reset unless you just want to clear out your phone

Droids

Reaction score
I was rooted, had root only apps installed, have over 80 apps total installed. Heavy user of the phone, etc. I had to remove forever-root for the update to install but other than that it went very smooth. I actually updated manually rather than wait for the ota.

Remember if you do a factory data reset you will lose all your text messages and probably any game data. Anything not stored on the external sd-card is wiped. You're not rooted so some stuff like text messages you will not be able to backup prior to reset. That may or may not be important to you. I'd wait to see how the update goes before thinking of a reset.

Some people may have had issues, probably because they were rooted or had removed apps that the update checks for, but for the other 99% stock users there were no issues.