Stock 2.2 + tethering?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by krazykarl, Aug 3, 2010.

1. krazykarl

krazykarl Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, I finally rooted my 2.1 droid, so now I'm rooted but still with 2.1 update 1. I'd like to load the official 2.2 rom, but add a netfilter enabled kernel so I can wifi tether. I don't want a custom built rom, I just want the latest official rom with wifi tether.
    Anyways, that leads me to a couple questions:
    Is there a version of the officially released 2.2 rom that retains root yet?
    How do I get and install the netfilter kernel?
    As I recall, 2.2 was supposed to have a new kernel that freed up a bunch of memory, so if I add the wifi tether kernel, will I loose that?
    Oh, and in any of this, will I end up loosing all my app data ala factory reset? Id really rather avoid that.
    Thanks for the help guys, sorry for the noob questions.

Oh and for reference, I don't have sprecovery installed, but I have rom manager on, so as I understand it I can flash clockworkmod recovery with that pretty easily...

2. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,627
    droidlife

Download: Rooted FRG01B Froyo for DROID

On 08.03.10, In News, Root (unlock), by Kellex

[​IMG]
    For those of you that stayed rooted while the Froyo OTA update was discovered, you can now have it with full root access. Yep, Pete (Mr. Bugless Beast) has already put together the FRG01B build, slipped in superuser and has it ready to rock on your Droid. What’s even better, is the guy is in the middle of a camping trip and managed to hack while roasting some mallows. Dedication.
    Download: FRG01BODEXEDOTA.zip (alt link)
    *THIS IS FOR ROOTED USERS ONLY.
    Instructions…
    1. Download the file to your SD card.
    2. Open ROM Manager, choose “Install ROM from SD Card.”
    3. Scroll down to find FRG01BODEXEDOTA.zip and tap on it.
    4. When prompted, check the box to create a backup if you don’t have a recent one.
    5. Skip the “wipe data and cache” box if coming from another Froyo build.
    6. Phone will reboot, work magic and BAM! Enjoy the new Froyo!
    Let us know if you run into any issues!
    And again, amazing work Pete.
    Source: Peter Alfonso

3. krazykarl

krazykarl Member

Ratings:
    +0
    haha, thanks...I follow droid-life pretty much constantly, of course they'd update it with the answer to the question I had just after I checked there.

froyo is tasty.

4. uoficowboy

uoficowboy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to install this with Nandroid? I don't have the appropriate recovery software installed for ROM manager.

On a side note - is there a way to install Nandroid backups with Recovery ROM? It seems like they use different formats - so I'm worried about switching over to it!

5. 6th

6th New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just tried it, you're redirected to a Verizon webpage if you try to enable and connect via USB tethering. I think I'm going to check P3 droids page and see if he has that custonm kernel with wi fi

Search tags for this page

2.2 motorola rom tethering

netfilter-enabled kernel galaxy s3