Stock 2.1 With Full Root Access with ESE81

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by MarkDriod, Apr 20, 2010.

1. MarkDriod

MarkDriod New Member

2. hyunkoon

hyunkoon New Member

Do I have to go back to 2.0.1 to do the rooting?

Thanks!
  3. MarkDriod

MarkDriod New Member

oh u dont need go back to 2.0.1 stock

the video will show u how do that this is 2.1 with full rooted access
  4. 2001400ex

2001400ex Member

That is awesome! Watched the videos, looks easy. One question, how easy going back to stock if I wanted?
  5. MarkDriod

MarkDriod New Member

back to stock 2.1 or 2.0.1?
  6. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

This isn't new, Pete had that out like the day after ese81 came out, Kellex just made that guide for people that want stock 2.1 rooted instead of a custom ROM.
  7. supremekizzle

supremekizzle New Member

once rooted with the way described above can you install any of the availible roms from rom manager?
  8. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Yes you can root, then get rom manager, flash clockwork and you good to go.
  9. supremekizzle

supremekizzle New Member

I used to be rooted on 2.0.1 but i had to take my phone in for insurance claim and finally just got a new one so im a little rusty...but... can i flash sprecovery using the sbf file and then flash roms using an update.zip or would i have to root my 2.1 with the afore mentioned guide before loading custom roms.
  10. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Just flash sprecovery, then use any rom that can be installed with the update.zip method and you're good to go.
  11. supremekizzle

supremekizzle New Member

Sweet!! much appreciated. so this would mean the sbf gives you root then?
  12. 2001400ex

2001400ex Member

Stock 2.1, which is where I am at now.
  13. Kahij

Kahij New Member

so this allows us to do an actual root on the ota 2.1 without the chance of bricking my phone

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  14. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

The sbf only gives you sprecovery the rom will give you root.
  15. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

You can flash the 2.0.1 sbf to return you to completely stock, but then you can just receive the ota to go to 2.1
  16. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

You can also flash with the TGZ or TAR formats with SPRecovery. Not just update.zip methods. It's all the same...just different versions of compression. SPRecovery recognizes all three though.

Nate
  17. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

The ROM does not give you root unless it is a compressed version that already has root. That is just a short cut for people who don't want to manually modify attributes and add the directories and put the SU.apk and busybox on their phones. So the developer does all that to his phone, compresses it and gives it to the noobs so they don't have to learn how to do it themselves. This way they think they are amazing...writing roms from scratch and all. LOL

Root means you gain access to the directories that Vz doesn't want you to have. From there you can add things they don't want added. And from there you can do things they don't want you to do. And you can do all this with the Vz version of 2.1 ESE81.

Good luck!

Nate
  18. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Nate - weren't you the one that just posted about going to the other side and living with stock? :)
  19. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

There is always a chance of bricking your phone. So far I have not heard of one phone being bricked though. And the really good news is...even if you are the first to brick a phone, with the same tools you use to brick it you can unbrick it. Don't unplug the beast while it is flashing. Make sure your laptop is plugged into a reliable power source. Use a good quality USB cord.

The key is to make darned sure you follow each step correctly. Read the instructions. Don't use context and second guess what you think the step says. Read it. Follow it. Get on with your life.

And if you screw it up, go to the Rescue Squad and ask for help. They are a lot more patient than the users in the hacks forum.

I'm not encouraging you to do anything beyond your comfort level. Only you can decide if you are capable of following instructions and noticing spaces between letters (they are really small and easy to ignore). Remember that computers only understand 0s and 1s. They don't know how to add 1+1 and get 2. Don't try to get into any gray areas. Just follow the steps. If you screw it up, take responsibility...you screwed it up. Go back and read the steps and figure out where you screwed it up.

Nate
  20. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Did you read the whole thread or just the title. I have a very dry sense of humor. I think I may have mentioned in the original posting I would probably come back to the dark side. LOL I know myself better than I think I do sometimes.

That whole process of going stock was an experiment because I kept reading other posters wondering if they should do it. I did it and posted my experience. I asked if others were doing it to see if we could get more expereinces to share for those noobs so they could make up their minds. I think I gave it a fair shake and I posted my observations and several have thanked me for it.

I am not a highly technical person...but I am willing to take some risks that might benefit others. That's about all I have to offer in these forums. Just trying to give back because this forum has been so generous to me.

Nate
Search tags for this page

stock baseband for a855