94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Can't wait to see smartphones in a flip with a foldable screen..

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
You're not imagining it. It's called "planned obsolescence", and unfortunately it seems to be getting worse on smartphones.
I for one happen to think Samsung had this in mind when releasing their latest flagship sans ext sd card & removable battery. People are (or, are trying to at least) keep their smartphones longer, so manufacturers had to find a way to keep people buying their products on a regular basis.

S5 tap'n

Yeah.. I wouldn't doubt that they're building devices to fail at intervals(absolescence) .. But i still have 2 g1 razr maxx's that work well.. But now they're experiencing battery swell...

Planned obsolescence has been around since the 30's. The big auto manufacturers needed a way to sell new cars that were (sound familiar yet?) only slightly different than the ones they were replacing. It's a thing, and France has even passed laws to make it very clear how long things are designed to last and how long manufacturers are going to make parts for them after they discontinue production of the unit in question.

Ha! I knew it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Planned obsolescence has been around since the 30's. The big auto manufacturers needed a way to sell new cars that were (sound familiar yet?) only slightly different than the ones they were replacing. It's a thing, and France has even passed laws to make it very clear how long things are designed to last and how long manufacturers are going to make parts for them after they discontinue production of the unit in question.
HTC didn't follow that model work the Incredible 1 so Verizon took over and what few they didn't kill with Gingerbread they turned into boot looping paper weights with its follow up "bug fix" update just before abandoning the model.