Still use wifi

cmking

Reaction score
When you upgrade can you use the old droid as a wifi device if it no longer active?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had an iPhone and when I dropped AT&T it still connected to my home wifi.
Recently, my wife and I travelled to Montreal Canada. As soon as we entered Canada I lost 3G. My only access to data was via wifi so I imagine it will connect to wifi after you upgrade.

Mike

dtsig

Reaction score
When you upgrade can you use the old droid as a wifi device if it no longer active?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
Technically it should still work. The only thing that wont work is the "VZ"connection ... 3g and probably satellite. My old tmobile Wing still can connect to my network ..

ballmore

Reaction score
If you are asking about using your old droid as a wifi tethering device then the answer is no. If you are asking about if you can still use your droid to download apps, get online, and just play around on it through a wifi connection then yes. I have a spare droid that I got from a friend and I use it all of the time to try new apps, roms, themes, download music, etc. etc, etc.

OP
C

cmking

Reaction score
Yea like an ipod touch it would A shame for it to be worthless thanks for all the replies

xmguy

Reaction score
Without a cellular 1X or 3G signal for data. WiFi being the only option. You CAN use maps if they are cached. GPS will work but it will take a while to get a fix since it uses a cell connection to "tell" the phone what sats to look for. I used my Droid for 5 months on WiFi only. Worked ok.