Still trying to figure this phone out. Few questions.

bacalao

Reaction score
Don't worry, you'll get used to not hitting the search/back buttons soon enough.

mjs31

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how to work and use this freakin' phone. I consider myself pretty literate with technology, but for some reason, I'm at a crawling pace with this phone. I came from a BB and everything was pretty self-explanatory on how to do certain tasks. Anyways I have a few questions.

1. Is there any way to manually set vibrate preferences like you could on the BB?

2. Does my phone need to be rooted to delete factory phone items (Voice dialer, youtube, yadda yadda)

3. Is there anyway to lessen the sensitivity to my function buttons at the bottom? It seems like if I barely graze them, I either hit back, menu, home, or search.
4. Why cannot I access unsecured WIFI, after even going in and allowing WIFI access?

5. How do I set up my school email on my phone? It is a Microsoft Outlook based system (Exchange account, I believe?) I have went in and tried time and time again but still having no luck. I remember it being a PITA to setup on my BB because you had to put in information about it via the Email settings.

6. Why is my phone very slow to recieve notifications? Missed calls, FB notifications......if I get any at all, and app. updates.

7. How would I go about deleting the original messaging system to use Handcent or ChompSMS?

8. Is there any way to keep the phone from locking every single time the screen times out? (Keeping from having to hit the unlock button at the top and slide to unlock)

9. When the phone is plugged in, a faint backlight aluminates the phone. Can I turn this off?

These are just a few questions I have. I'm going to save this page and keep updating it with questions I come across instead of keep making new threads. I have searched some, but man there is a lot of stuff out there and I honestly and literally just do not have enough time to pick through all the material since I'm in school and working.

Thanks again, sorry if I'm pissing in someones fruity pebbles and beating a dead horse on some of these issues I'm having.

Yeah...time can be an issue. Realize you will not, and I mean not, learn this phone in a short period. It is a work horse. Many of us are still learning this phone and have had it from day one. Dont take that as a negative though....it can be tweaked in pretty much any way you like. Chances are that if you think it cannot be done, it can (exception being the soft keys on the bottom but you will get used to that and it wont be an issue). Just be patient and search when you can. Also search the market for key word items relating to your needs. If it cannot be adjusted enough in the phones stock settings, chances are there is an app that can help you out.

mjs31

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how to work and use this freakin' phone. I consider myself pretty literate with technology, but for some reason, I'm at a crawling pace with this phone. I came from a BB and everything was pretty self-explanatory on how to do certain tasks. Anyways I have a few questions.

1. Is there any way to manually set vibrate preferences like you could on the BB?

Yes in settings>sounds and display or for emails you have to go to each account preferences separately

2. Does my phone need to be rooted to delete factory phone items (Voice dialer, youtube, yadda yadda) yes but you can remove the notifications

3. Is there anyway to lessen the sensitivity to my function buttons at the bottom? It seems like if I barely graze them, I either hit back, menu, home, or search. not that I am aware of

4. Why cannot I access unsecured WIFI, after even going in and allowing WIFI access?
weird, you should be able too, I can, have you tried going to settings>wireless>wi-fi?

5. How do I set up my school email on my phone? It is a Microsoft Outlook based system (Exchange account, I believe?) I have went in and tried time and time again but still having no luck. I remember it being a PITA to setup on my BB because you had to put in information about it via the Email settings.
Add a new exchange account, you may have to add "owa." to the default name it tries to connect to.

6. Why is my phone very slow to recieve notifications? Missed calls, FB notifications......if I get any at all, and app. updates. no idea that's weird, you must have bad reception

7. How would I go about deleting the original messaging system to use Handcent or ChompSMS? answered by hookbill, handcect and chomp don't work properly if you delete the stock sms client anyway

8. Is there any way to keep the phone from locking every single time the screen times out? (Keeping from having to hit the unlock button at the top and slide to unlock)

yes, this was my biggest annoyance, go to the MyLock thread under apps or download the screenmodewidget app

9. When the phone is plugged in, a faint backlight aluminates the phone. Can I turn this off? no, unless you physically break the led, there may be a solution but I never heard of one, and never looked

These are just a few questions I have. I'm going to save this page and keep updating it with questions I come across instead of keep making new threads. I have searched some, but man there is a lot of stuff out there and I honestly and literally just do not have enough time to pick through all the material since I'm in school and working.

Thanks again, sorry if I'm pissing in someones fruity pebbles and beating a dead horse on some of these issues I'm having.

123char1234jnkm

Thanks dude! +1 for you.

If you are referring to the light coming out of the usb port when it is plugged in...that is the charge light. Meaning...when your phone is 100% it will go off. Not sure if that is what you meant though.

To use Chomp or handcent there is no need to delete the original app. Once you decide which you want, you can just make it the default app. Unlike BB, you can do this with most items.

Notifications should not be an issue as already mentioned. Not sure what exactly your are seeing, but you may need to explain this a little more.

If you want to use an exchange account, I highly recommend an app called Touchdown. Not super cheap, but probably the best money you will spend if you rely on exchange accounts.

koralyne

Reaction score
to explain why you cannot set the sensitivity on the buttons or screen (number 3 i believe), its because the screen isnt kinetic, its capacitive. You make any contact with your skin and it activates.

im almost 100% sure im correct, because of how ive figured capacitive screens work, but on the off chance im incorrect, somebody please tell me @_@

its like this.

Kinetic screen : analog input :: Capacitive screen : digital input

right?

what KZIWarrior said was correct, but you've skewed his answer slightly. there's no such thing as a kinetic screen. what you're thinking of is resistive.

Resistive touchscreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Capacitive sensing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

resistive isn't anymore analog than capacitive is. they both register voltage, but accomplish it in different ways.

My bad, when i said kinetic, thats what i meant, that it registers touch (thats what i heard a vzw rep tell me, but then again, he also told me the droid had a heat sensitive touch screen, not capacitive... so...) anyways, what i meant by digital... well, i was just comparing the two, when he said that the droid screen was either touch, or not touched, and the resistive screen was based on how hard you were touching.

Silver Member
Reaction score
fyi - capactive has nothing to do with heat. both screens rely off of electrical current. capactive uses your finger (or a specialized stylus), resistive uses itself and requires pressure (anything sharp or blunt).

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
My bad, when i said kinetic, thats what i meant, that it registers touch (thats what i heard a vzw rep tell me, but then again, he also told me the droid had a heat sensitive touch screen, not capacitive... so...) anyways, what i meant by digital... well, i was just comparing the two, when he said that the droid screen was either touch, or not touched, and the resistive screen was based on how hard you were touching.

:rofl3: after you've been around long enough you'll learn to almost NEVER listen to people in the VZW stores (actually in ANY tech store)... they are generally 1)misinformed 2) have little to NO understanding of what they have been told 3) will say just about anything to make a sell....

You'll find a few knowledgeable reps here and there but 95%+ of what you will hear from the others is BS (this ESPECIALLY applies to anything regarding release dates).