Still trying to figure this phone out. Few questions.

IggyBcool

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how to work and use this freakin' phone. I consider myself pretty literate with technology, but for some reason, I'm at a crawling pace with this phone. I came from a BB and everything was pretty self-explanatory on how to do certain tasks. Anyways I have a few questions.

1. Is there any way to manually set vibrate preferences like you could on the BB?

2. Does my phone need to be rooted to delete factory phone items (Voice dialer, youtube, yadda yadda)

3. Is there anyway to lessen the sensitivity to my function buttons at the bottom? It seems like if I barely graze them, I either hit back, menu, home, or search.
4. Why cannot I access unsecured WIFI, after even going in and allowing WIFI access?

5. How do I set up my school email on my phone? It is a Microsoft Outlook based system (Exchange account, I believe?) I have went in and tried time and time again but still having no luck. I remember it being a PITA to setup on my BB because you had to put in information about it via the Email settings.

6. Why is my phone very slow to recieve notifications? Missed calls, FB notifications......if I get any at all, and app. updates.

7. How would I go about deleting the original messaging system to use Handcent or ChompSMS?

8. Is there any way to keep the phone from locking every single time the screen times out? (Keeping from having to hit the unlock button at the top and slide to unlock)

9. When the phone is plugged in, a faint backlight aluminates the phone. Can I turn this off?

These are just a few questions I have. I'm going to save this page and keep updating it with questions I come across instead of keep making new threads. I have searched some, but man there is a lot of stuff out there and I honestly and literally just do not have enough time to pick through all the material since I'm in school and working.

Thanks again, sorry if I'm pissing in someones fruity pebbles and beating a dead horse on some of these issues I'm having.

Silver Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forums. many of your questions have been covered extensively. have you tried searching the boards for similar issues? it doesn't hurt to ask these questions, but you could probably answer these questions yourself, and learn a little bit more than an answer by performing a simple search.

however, to answer a common question that you had above; rooting/superuser access will "not" delete applications and deleting these applications could be detremental to your device's OS!!

since your phone's OS exists in ROM, any modifications that you make to the OS are only in the temporary memory space of the ROM and will be reverted upon a factory reset. so while these changes may seem beneficial to you, they are serving no real purpose.

Android is very different from RIM. spend some time on the forums and check my sig for help with other topics.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah, I'm all for answering a few questions, even if I've seen them asked before, but I'm afraid I'm not touching this with 640K's Droid...Haha!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll hit on a couple items but the rest are covered quite extensively/repeatedly and I'd have to do the same search that you would to dig up answers.

1. Is there any way to manually set vibrate preferences like you could on the BB?
Notifications are handled a bit differently than they are on the BB. There are no profiles out of the box. There are some apps that will make it similar, but not identical to the BB. In other words, it's very difficult to find a centralized solution for managing audio, vibration and LED alerts. Quite often you'll need to adjust the notification setting in the specific app.

7. How would I go about deleting the original messaging system to use Handcent or ChompSMS?
You don't. You disable the stock app's notification.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I've seen every one of your questions answered at one time or another. The easy way really to get answers for this is just to use google. It will probably bring your right back to this forum. For example I typed in set up school email on Droid and I got this set up school email on droid - Google Search

These are pretty basic questions. Since you have quite a few Google will be your friend.

deputc26

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how to work and use this freakin' phone. I consider myself pretty literate with technology, but for some reason, I'm at a crawling pace with this phone. I came from a BB and everything was pretty self-explanatory on how to do certain tasks. Anyways I have a few questions.

Yes in settings>sounds and display or for emails you have to go to each account preferences separately

2. Does my phone need to be rooted to delete factory phone items (Voice dialer, youtube, yadda yadda) yes but you can remove the notifications

3. Is there anyway to lessen the sensitivity to my function buttons at the bottom? It seems like if I barely graze them, I either hit back, menu, home, or search. not that I am aware of

4. Why cannot I access unsecured WIFI, after even going in and allowing WIFI access?
weird, you should be able too, I can, have you tried going to settings>wireless>wi-fi?

5. How do I set up my school email on my phone? It is a Microsoft Outlook based system (Exchange account, I believe?) I have went in and tried time and time again but still having no luck. I remember it being a PITA to setup on my BB because you had to put in information about it via the Email settings.
Add a new exchange account, you may have to add "owa." to the default name it tries to connect to.

6. Why is my phone very slow to recieve notifications? Missed calls, FB notifications......if I get any at all, and app. updates. no idea that's weird, you must have bad reception

7. How would I go about deleting the original messaging system to use Handcent or ChompSMS? answered by hookbill, handcect and chomp don't work properly if you delete the stock sms client anyway

8. Is there any way to keep the phone from locking every single time the screen times out? (Keeping from having to hit the unlock button at the top and slide to unlock)

yes, this was my biggest annoyance, go to the MyLock thread under apps or download the screenmodewidget app

9. When the phone is plugged in, a faint backlight aluminates the phone. Can I turn this off? no, unless you physically break the led, there may be a solution but I never heard of one, and never looked

These are just a few questions I have. I'm going to save this page and keep updating it with questions I come across instead of keep making new threads. I have searched some, but man there is a lot of stuff out there and I honestly and literally just do not have enough time to pick through all the material since I'm in school and working.

Thanks again, sorry if I'm pissing in someones fruity pebbles and beating a dead horse on some of these issues I'm having.

123char1234jnkm

OP
I

IggyBcool

Reaction score

Yes in settings>sounds and display or for emails you have to go to each account preferences separately

2. Does my phone need to be rooted to delete factory phone items (Voice dialer, youtube, yadda yadda) yes but you can remove the notifications

3. Is there anyway to lessen the sensitivity to my function buttons at the bottom? It seems like if I barely graze them, I either hit back, menu, home, or search. not that I am aware of

weird, you should be able too, I can, have you tried going to settings>wireless>wi-fi?

Add a new exchange account, you may have to add "owa." to the default name it tries to connect to.

6. Why is my phone very slow to recieve notifications? Missed calls, FB notifications......if I get any at all, and app. updates. no idea that's weird, you must have bad reception

7. How would I go about deleting the original messaging system to use Handcent or ChompSMS? answered by hookbill, handcect and chomp don't work properly if you delete the stock sms client anyway

yes, this was my biggest annoyance, go to the MyLock thread under apps or download the screenmodewidget app

9. When the phone is plugged in, a faint backlight aluminates the phone. Can I turn this off? no, unless you physically break the led, there may be a solution but I never heard of one, and never looked

123char1234jnkm

Thanks dude! +1 for you.

koralyne

Reaction score
to explain why you cannot set the sensitivity on the buttons or screen (number 3 i believe), its because the screen isnt kinetic, its capacitive. You make any contact with your skin and it activates.

im almost 100% sure im correct, because of how ive figured capacitive screens work, but on the off chance im incorrect, somebody please tell me @_@

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
to explain why you cannot set the sensitivity on the buttons or screen (number 3 i believe), its because the screen isnt kinetic, its capacitive. You make any contact with your skin and it activates.

im almost 100% sure im correct, because of how ive figured capacitive screens work, but on the off chance im incorrect, somebody please tell me @_@

That is correct. A bit simplified but the general idea is right. Once a conductive object touches the service the connection is made (i.e. the point(s) is activated). There's no way to 'adjust' the sensitivity as on a resistive touch screen because everything is handled/interpreted by the hardware (not software).

koralyne

Reaction score
its like this.

Kinetic screen : analog input :: Capacitive screen : digital input

right?

Silver Member
Reaction score

its like this.

Kinetic screen : analog input :: Capacitive screen : digital input

right?

what KZIWarrior said was correct, but you've skewed his answer slightly. there's no such thing as a kinetic screen. what you're thinking of is resistive.

Resistive touchscreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Capacitive sensing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

resistive isn't anymore analog than capacitive is. they both register voltage, but accomplish it in different ways.