Still time to flash?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by BoJatey, Apr 4, 2011.

1. BoJatey

BoJatey New Member

Been reading up lately but haven't flashed anything yet and with all the news about rooting coming to an end I want to do something while there is still time. Just don,t know which way to go. Should I custom rom or GB? Which one would be easiest to get back to stock from before the official GB? I'd appreciate any comments.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  2. djsiva

djsiva New Member

I highly doubt rooting is coming to an end.
  3. Rocko

Rocko New Member

It will be soon. They will deny service to any phone that does not accept an update. Google it.
  4. 13th angel

13th angel Developer Developer

Lol. They are more likely to deny service because of tethering than not accepting an update. The" google it" think your talking about is based on speculation by p3droid. Read the post he made on MDW titled Food For Thought...

sent from a D2G with Liberty 2
  5. xrevx

xrevx New Member

^ bump

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  6. Rocko

Rocko New Member

An update will determin whether you are rooted. This is there attempt to stop rooting/tehering/steeling bandwidth.
  7. 13th angel

13th angel Developer Developer

Have you actually read the post? Even P3 doesn't know what exactly is gonna happen.

sent from a D2G with Liberty 2
  8. Rocko

Rocko New Member

No, no one does, could be in 15 minutes, a week, a month. Once your phone is marked rooted, time for a new phone.
  9. Whitemike358

Whitemike358 New Member

To answer the op, flashing gingerbread would make it harder to go back to stock than say flashing rubix or liberty because you will have to sbf instead of just restoring your backup. (I've also read you can just flash maderstock to go from gingerbread to stock but don't know much about that. Something to look into I guess!)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  10. BoJatey

BoJatey New Member

Wow, didn't mean to open up a can but I read P3's post and he also says they may already be tracking but I don't see how that's possible with me because the only update I did was before I ever rooted. So if I'm on a list, it really doesn't bother me until they decide what to do with it. One thing I know they're not going to deny me of and that is giving them money. It's like the pirated satellite cards, yeah they know but nothing they can do except hack the hacks and back and forth they go and that actually is theft, but I don't feel I'm doing anything wrong. Yes, I paid for Easy Tether but I hardly use it and would like to try Wifi Tether because I sure would like to get out of giving Charter $60 a month. From what I understand, Moto and VZN are losing money on warranty returns from bricks and out of control tethering. So if they're paying warranties, they can't tell of you've rooted or not and maybe that and tethering is all they want the list for. So until they inform us as to what they plan to do with it I'm going to try a few of these roms and save GB for last, just in case. Still would like to read some suggestions.
  11. axlx

axlx New Member

you asking if you should still root because of the news?

The answer is yes.

Why? Because of the fact Apple tried to kill Cydia, the original root in a sense that allows the user to mod their iphone like a full computer and download every app store app for free along with other kickass mods. Cydia did everything that is being talked about years and years before what being abruptly thrown into peoples faces without real evidence.

The supreme court ruled in favor of cydia and the moding community saying anyone has the right to do what ever the hell they want with an item they buy.

The supreme court out weighs verizon the last time i checked

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  12. iNfAMOUS702

iNfAMOUS702 New Member

Ppl act like Verizon is gonna cut ur service tomorrow if u root..they ran their study LAST YEAR..I've upgraded TWO lines while rooted and guess what?? Verizon didn't care...why?? BECAUSE AS LONG AS U KEEP GIVING THEM UR MONEY THEY'LL LEAVE U ALONE

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
  13. Cloud36426

Cloud36426 New Member

I am rooted and don't care if Verizon knows. I do not tether I have internet at home and work so no need to tether. By learning to root and Rom it has caused me to research and in turn I know q hell of a lot more bout mobile technology than anyone at a Verizon store. But in order for them to terminate service just for being rooted they have to change the TOS and make the public aware of it. Now if you are stealing tether you are in breach if TOS and can therefore have service suspended because these practices already exist. I am going to flash the hell out of my TBOLT and when they change TOS and make it public I will then start to worry. End rant.

Sent from my ADR6400L
  14. axlx

axlx New Member

all i can say is blah. I can bet you 50 bucks all they are tracking is how people are doing this so they can roll out a network update and prevent ur app working remotely

15. axlx

axlx New Member

besides that they arnt going to suspend anyone.

16. BoJatey

BoJatey New Member

No, I'm already rooted and I don't care if they know. Just weighing between custom roms and GB. From what I hear, stock .340 is harder to get back to from GB if I ever need to because you have to sbf, so I'm looking at the roms. Still confused about wipe/don't wipe because I'm reading about people boot looping and that's not going to happen to me for my first time.
  17. axlx

axlx New Member

Ah then cool :) well the loop I am not sure, GB has its issues, I like it however and don't think I will go back anytime soon unless liberty 2.0 is released for free. It isn't much of an issue though, if you have titanium backup and batch -> backup all user apps and data you can restore your apps. That will allow u to wipe and avoid a boot loop :)

But as for the problems I am honestly thinking every just read thinking the Apocalypse and ran to the door and breaking the handle, thinking a man with a flamethrower was going to walk into the room and burn them alive.Either this or they all installed the non rooted version of GB like me and had a bigger issues getting to clockwork.

Honestly the only real issue I had sbfing from non rooted BG back to the original was from the simple fact I used my laptop who would forget about my phone and at the 100% executed mark. To fix this I just went to a desktop computer and it worked first try. Just don't fiddle with the phone or the desktop and it is a snap.

If you are going from stock to the rooted GB (need it before the deox/w.e tying) it is not hard if you have the full sbf zip on you'r phone. If you had the rooted GB you just install the zip after making a backup in titanium and nandroid. After you install the zip of stock you simply select the wipe data/cache option like 4 times I believe to avoid boot loops (forget if its for going to GB or back to stock) Then do the same 4 cache wipes, after which you just reboot and restore from titanium after rooting. Be sure you are in the clockwork version though and not the stock with only 3-4 option instead of the 5 or so that are in the nandroid recovery.
  18. Cloud36426

Cloud36426 New Member

No, I'm already rooted and I don't care if they know. Just weighing between custom roms and GB. From what I hear, stock .340 is harder to get back to from GB if I ever need to because you have to sbf, so I'm looking at the roms. Still confused about wipe/don't wipe because I'm reading about people boot looping and that's not going to happen to me for my first time.[/QUOTE]

Actually sbf is really easy. I aggregation seen a lot of people going from GB back to Liberty.

Sent from my ADR6400L
  19. andylulzyou

andylulzyou New Member

Do you really think Verizon is going to terminate any line when they have you paying them for x amount of dollars for service per month and then $30 on top of that for data.

Yeaaaright.
  20. andylulzyou

andylulzyou New Member

Even if they did start terminating contracts people would just take their smartphones right over to MetroPCS or Cricket and save money