Still on 2.3.6?

rhindon

Reaction score
I got my Droid 4 when they first came out, but I don't know what version of the android software was included. On a stock phone without being rooted, is this the version I should have or have there been updates since then? I am having some issues with the 4G and a process error message and am wondering if I have the latest. Through the settings menu, it's saying my phone is up to date.

Thank you!

outsid0r

Reaction score
2.3.6 is the most current release there are leaks that have been discovered but not pushed to everyone as of yet.

OP
rhindon

rhindon

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the help! I just see 4.x versions on other phones and wonder why we are so far behind. :frown:

outsid0r

Reaction score
well to help keep an eye out for updates you could install cheesecake on your device.

OP
rhindon

rhindon

Reaction score
I'm not seeing that in the Play store. Is it for rooted devices?

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
That dessert app is not in the play store, it will allow you to download test builds from moto and yes you have to be rooted. But you don't need it if you want to move to 4.0. Most are posted in the rom section with instructions. You have to do some work to get back on the official path if you chose to flash any of the "test" builds, but you don't have to be rooted. Go here to learn more: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-roms/209130-how-install-leaked-android-4-0-4-ics-build-droid-4-xt894.html

Also 2.3.6 isn't that far behind, you can't count 3.xx because it is tablet only and the full source code was never released. The vast majority of android devices are on some form of 2.xxx only about 10% are on 4.0.xxx and almost nothing on 4.1 as it was just released.

OP
rhindon

rhindon

Reaction score
I will probably wait then. Hopefully the update will be out soon.

slikno420

Reaction score
Ics is supposed to be out in quarter 4 of this year. This according to everything I've read so far. Last I saw it was still in the testing phase (that's the 3rd of 4) guessing on late september to mid october is when were going to start seeing the roll out process.

Melatonin

Reaction score
2.3.6 is the most current release there are leaks that have been discovered but not pushed to everyone as of yet.

Can root still be done while staying on the official upgrade path? I really want to get rid of some bloatware and install a couple other apps.

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Rooting will not take you off the path, but removing systems apps will. Just use a app to freeze them.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Titanium, rom toolbox and several others, but you have to be rooted to freeze apps. You can hide apps in GB without rooting.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ics is supposed to be out in quarter 4 of this year. This according to everything I've read so far. Last I saw it was still in the testing phase (that's the 3rd of 4) guessing on late september to mid october is when were going to start seeing the roll out process.

moto's site clearly states that the D4 is still in the development stage and that rollout is anticipated to begin in Q3 of this year. where did you get your information?