Still learning after all these years.

TechnoGeek1966

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

New here of course, I currently have a Moto Droid (A855) with the Verizon Crippled FRG01B build on it. I've come here looking for information and assistance in rooting my A855. I'm an Automation Engineer by trade and Computer Geek by classical education so I'm not without some ability. My reasons to root my phone are many and varied but it basically comes down to Verizon misleading me, and Motorola, who used to make a hell of a product coupled with a no compromise attitude, selling out to corporate greed. I have no desire to become an expert on the Droid or the Android OS.

I've been researching rooting my phone off and on for a couple of months now. I found a nice video howto at Droid-life.com but I was still putting it off with the hopes that the Froyo 2.2 once pushed out by Verizon would be the answers to my dreams. They promised all the wiz bang functions ( actually all I was interested in was the tethering and hotspot functions) that the Google guys were building into it. In my excitement at 5 am one morning I happened to wakeup and find the OTA message on my phone. WOOT! Instead of reading up on what was in the OTA I hit the "Sure let's install it" button and now I'm sorry I did. I'm also not sure that the rooting path I was going to take before the OTA will not brick my phone. So to make a long story a little longer (sorry if your eyes are bugging) I'm hear looking for advice on how to root a FRG01B OTA update without having to be or become an expert.

Thanks for listening/reading/whatever,

Dave

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Droid Forums. Sorry you're disappointed in the update.

Go to the custom roms area and take a look in the droidmod section for something new that will root 2.2 easily for you. Do not use easy root, that is causing problems for people.

[ L ]

Reaction score
Hey there! I think I know you. Do you work with my cousin Collin and you made the Cell Mapper app? Or maybe I am thinking of someone else... Well, anyways, welcome to the forum!

Sent from my REVOlutionized LithiumDroid

OP
T

TechnoGeek1966

Reaction score
Thanks Cromo and Bill. It will give me a point of reference.

L I don't think I am the guy you are talking about. My background is more in industrial automation, Robots and Controls that kind of stuff.