Still having problems with Stagefright :(

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by snakester, Sep 8, 2010.

1. snakester

snakester New Member

My experience with Froyo has been sort of love/hate. I install it, love all the bugs it fixes on my phone (Wifi actually works, Flash, battery lasts more than 5 hours), then get pissed off with the horrendous audio quality of AAC+ (I use Pandora a ton, and am a little bit of an audiophile) and flash back to 2.1. Then I wait a while until another ROM developer declares Stagefright "fixed" and try Froyo again, ending with the same amount of frustration.

I flashed LFY last night, figuring it's a ROM I haven't given a try yet, and so far it's honestly the BEST froyo ROM i've used so far. Battery life is AMAZING, phone is rock solid, and honestly Pandora sounds the best of any Froyo ROM I've flashed, but I still don't call it "fixed". Sure, it's decoding the top end properly, but the decoder's still butchering the baseband AAC audio. Pre-echo galore, and tons of what I would best describe as "aliasing" that doesn't happen in 2.1. Also, none of the disable stagefright tricks have ever worked for me. I don't get exactly what's wrong here, if it's my phone or just my ears being sensitive.

Is there any chance of this getting fixed in any ROM? Any ideas of what I might be doing wrong? I know Google says it's been fixed, but if this is seriously their fix, that's pathetic. All they did is make the SBR decode properly. I'm seriously getting annoyed with being stuck on 2.1 because of this, because honestly, 2.1 sucks.
  2. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

I don't use pandora as much because I keep a huge playlist on the phone but have you tried the latest 1.1 release os Sapphire? I know Austen compiled.the Google fix for.it and to me it sounds fine but then again I thought it sounded fine to begin with so I may not be the best of sources.

If the Google fix didn't actually fix what is wrong then you may have a long wait as Pandora issued a statement saying that a fix on their end would be implemented when Gingerbread rolled out.
  3. snakester

snakester New Member

I'll give that a try. It just gets really old reflashing new ROMs and having to A: Wait until all my apps download again over 3G (Another little quirk I seem to have with Froyo is none of the apps redownload themselves over WiFi) or B: Sit there and babysit the phone if I use Ti Backup having to hit Install over and over again. I'll give it a try, I suppose, seeing as I haven't tried it yet. I have no need to put my own personal music on the phone, as I have a flash drive and a car stereo with a USB reader, but sometimes I just want to hear new music and the FM rock radio around here is terrible.

I'm one of those people who can hear just about anything being 'off', and it's getting incredibly frustrating to not be able to use something I bought the phone for without sacrificing a HUGE amount of performance and battery life.
  4. giant25

giant25 New Member

I still hear it too. I'm running UD8 and I notice that Pandora is better than it was at 2.2 stock, but it's still not at the 2.1 quality. I have noticed that my Slacker sounds better now, which doesn't make sense. I have more testing to do, I just put UD8 on the other night. The bass in Slacker sounds way better than Pandora's as far as I can tell. I thought Google still had an open issue on this problem, #9308.

Issue 9308 - android - eaac+ and aac+ decoding sound quality problems (Android 2.2) - Project Hosting on Google Code

EDIT: Nevermind, Slacker still sucks like Pandora. The sound quality changes from song to song.
  5. dwagner88

dwagner88 New Member

I'm using sapphire 1.1, and it still sounds really inconsistent. Some songs will be ok, then several in a row will sound terrible. I bought iSyncr and just started dumping massive amounts of music onto my SD card so that I don't have to put up with it anymore.

Just for comparison, Pandora sounds great on my GF's 2.2 incredible. Kinda pisses me off.
Search tags for this page

stagefright android download