still having 3g probs? or something else?

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by Matth3w, Mar 4, 2010.

1. HwnDroid

HwnDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same here in Honolulu, Hawaii. My 3G is choppy at best and I get the 1G more often than I'd like. What's up VZW?

2. volando

volando Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How about the phone getting stuck in 1g mode, anyone see that? I get this cruising down the high way sometimes, it takes a LONG time for it to recover back to 3g. I toggle airplane mode to fix it immediately though, is this just a matter of the re-scan timeout? can it be fixed with an app? My area has 100% 3g coverage, no idea what it's getting dropped sometimes...

3. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps because I am in Pittsburgh the traffic is too high....

4. trumpet444

trumpet444 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    mine constantly bounces from full 3g coverage to 2 bars on 1x while sitting in one place. really pisses me off. customer service at verizon is of no help. i'm in the middle of richmond, va so i know i'm not in a dead zone

5. Ziffy

Ziffy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My phone does a similar thing...Moto Droid...Full Bars to No Bars...3g to 1x...constantly, even though I am smack dab in the middle of the "red!"

Major issue for me is I am on a call and it does this, so my phone makes the notification sound, locks up...and I see the bottom half of the phone screen and nothing else. I have to back out to the home screen and go back into the phone to make another call.

Sometimes I will call someone and it will look like it is dialing even though it already has, but I can't hear the other person...but they hear me. This makes it seem like I am prank calling them. Not so fun when you are trying to call for take-out!

Upset,

Z

6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    You have to understand, data and phone are two separate things. If you see 1x in your phone that doesn't have anything to do with your call. It's how many bars you see that has to do with the call itself. And even 2 bars should be fine.

You may have some other type of issue with your phone. Have you tried making sure your PRL's are up to date? Dial *228 option 2 and see if that doesn't improve your phone. If that doesn't work you may consider taking it back to Verizon, because Droid doesn't behave that way in calls. At least it shouldn't.

7. TimChgo9

TimChgo9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I go from full 3G to 1x sitting on my couch, and then back again.

At first, I thought it was just being inside, but, same thing happens outside. As far as call signal strength, I am almost always at 4 bars, unless I go to my basement, then I get 3.

Verizon has no idea why, because the Chicago area has 100% coverage. It is a pain in the butt to try and use the phone for it's intended purpose, only to have the data side flake out on me. It's been happening more often the last 2-3 days. Call performance is superior, I just wish the 3G would behave itself.

Going out for my daughter's birthday last night, I was trying to give directions to family members, I went to use Google Maps on my Droid, and of course, when everyone is in a hurry and we are behind schedule, the data signal drops to 1x... and it took 6 minutes for the map and directions to come up.. in that time, my son got out the local atlas, and gave the other family members directions, and they were on their way....

Not happy. :mad:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I get dropped back to 1x frequently when I'm just sitting on my easy chair. For some reason I have a dead spot in my house right there. And my wireless network keeps losing it's signal.

I live in a very rural area however so I kind of expect signals to come and go a bit. You say you are in Chicago, are there big buildings or are you on the outskirts? Big buildings can cause problem with cell tower signals, not to mention snow can be an issue too.

Also remember to update your PRL's *228 option 2 every couple of months or so for best reception.

9. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have to wonder in big cities if its not a coverage issue but rather an issue with bandwidth

Search tags for this page

why does 3g come and go

why does my verizon 3g come amd go