Still haven't taken the last update

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
So for whatever reason I still haven't taken the update even though I get the notification for it. I guess I'm wondering what you guys think about how stable it is now? I know it'll lose root, but I'm sure they already have another method. I have some apps disabled (not frozen), will that make a difference? I don't think so but not 100%

I guess I'm asking is there any reason I shouldn't take it yet?

KaChow

Reaction score
I wouldn't even worry about it. At this point the only reason to even consider taking the update, is if you were forced to take MJ7 to get the 4.4 OTA in January. That is if the Updates were directed in a straight line (and you couldn't get 4.4 w/o taking MJ7.) That would be the only reason I could possibly see as for taking the update.
As far as data connection and network, if you live near or in a major metropolitan area you’re probably doing just fine. If you live out in the sticks and have constant service disruptions, I can help you fix the problem w/o taking the update. The thing is our device has a capability that is very advanced right now in the marketplace that allows to handle AWS LTE or more specifically with Verizon Band 4 which has speed capabilities up to download speeds of 150Mbps our Note3 can handle 150Mbps, when our devices were shipped from Samsung direct and of course this unconfirmed this LTE switch was Enabled. Which explains the OTA disruption to turn off switch as some areas that do not have access to Band 4 or similar and will not have received major disruption causing dropped calls, overheating phones, all types’ errors. Those that are fortunate that live areas like NYC, Chicago, LA, Miami, just to name a few they have seen download speeds up to 107Mbps which can be done with a Note 3, Galaxy S4 and Iphone5s max out at 100Mbps. To give an idea of speed most internet home computers run download speeds at around 20-30Mbps, think what happens at 150Mbps.

So, while I got a little of topic here, I wouldn't worry about the OTA, if your having signal problems or live in area that is outside the metro let me know. With disabled apps, I would suggest re-enabling them and then freezing them, if you can't get them to work, go to XDA download an I9 firmware, download extract the apps draws from the System file, find all the apps that you disabled reinstall them into the apps draw, make a backup and freeze them. That's all need is to have few disabled apps prevent you from an OTA down the road or even worse break your Root.

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Why would I want to freeze them and not just disable? I don't seem to notice much of a difference when I do. Plus then I know for sure I'd have to unfreeze them for updates. At least you used to have to, haven't froze apps much since ICS.

Well my apartment has horrible reception so I'd be interested to see if it helps. But it's tolerable, so the main reason is to stop getting the notification.

KaChow

Reaction score
Whether you decide to freeze or disable, what matters the most is the apps can easily be re-enabled prior to taking the OTA, as the last thing that you need is to have an OTA freeze in the process because an app that was disabled before like "amazon" or something else could not be re-enabled. Freezing to me is much simpler, safer, and effective overall. I'm somewhat surprised you don't have the updater disabled.

Well, anyhow if your concerned about loosing Root this is in trial it is proven highly effective on past devices and is meant to be applied on the next OTA that takes places in January. I have written a step-by-step outline, this requires both Safestrap Recovery and the use of SuperSU in the form of a zip file. This adds an additional layer of security to the "Protect Root Method" works with the uncheck the box here, and then check the box there. This is acheived by "flashing" SuperUser in Recovery, for more details please read my thread in full on this here.