1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Still getting drop-outs on lastest update.

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by Human_Droid, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Human_Droid

Human_Droid New Member

EDIT: a little bit about my device first. I've never done ANYthing to it. It's completely stock.
    Android Version: 2.3.4
    System Version: 5.5.893
    WT-1.3.0-108 DBN-21
    Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-g68606e6
    Build Number: 5.5.1_84 DBN-62
    Baseband Version: CDMA_N_03.1C.57R, ltedc_u_05.15.01

Anyone else still getting drop-outs? The network seems a little more reliable compared to pre-update but I am still getting drop-outs where I know I shouldn't.
  2. idk5

idk5 New Member

i am not getting drop outs but i have gotten the "black screen of death" a few minutes ago and my phone still does random reboots
    '
  3. gsbjackson

gsbjackson New Member

I'm also getting an occassional dropout when switching from WiFi to Cell, but if you wait about 30 secs, the 4G or 3G kicks in... not instantaneously, but better than not at all.
  4. geoffwhite18

geoffwhite18 New Member

Its better, but not perfect.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  5. Human_Droid

Human_Droid New Member

I wonder if tied into a battery management function.
  6. MyEntityRemains

MyEntityRemains New Member

Have any of you thought that the data issues are more to do with Verizon than Motorola?
  7. ripper2860

ripper2860 Member

I too think it's more an VZ network issue, IMHO. I think Moto is making adjustments to the radio files to help mitigate the issues the VZ/LTE network is having, but I truly believe it is far more the network than the phone. I'm afraid Moto may have done all it can at this point to help "tweak" the phone to better deal with the network issues via the 5.5.893 build; however, it is likely now squarely on VZ to fix the issues. Too many things point to it NOT being a Moto only issue ...

1. Multiple VZ phone MFG's have the issue to varying degrees.
    2. Users have stated that they have issues in some areas but when they travel to other areas the issues either cease or are dramatically reduced.
    3. Some users that reported having severe issues suddenly improved dramatically or stopped having issues, with no action taken on their part (i.e. no new phone, no ROM flash or update being applied to their phone, etc.).

Sounds like Network to me. And VZ is letting Moto take the heat while they work on their network behind the scene. :/
  8. gsbjackson

gsbjackson New Member

Agree... as the original commercials stated... "it's the Network!" I'm thinking the push to 4G was premature and they are fixing the plane while flying it, hoping we won't notice.

I'd be surprised if they win the "best customer support" cellular service provider award again next year after this poorly orchestrated rollout of 4G. Someone should be fired!
  9. Human_Droid

Human_Droid New Member

With the update. Isn't it ICS?

And since it improved since my recent version, wouldn't it be the Android OS? (not moto?)
  10. dags5000

dags5000 New Member

No its not ICS that is android 4.0. This was a minor maintenance update

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  11. crxlsturbo

crxlsturbo Member

Tbh its more Motorola's part. I used to have the bionic on launch day. Getting drop outs a lot. So I went through 3 phones just so I can try and have Verizon switch me to a new phone. Didn't help. So I used one of my 2 upgrades that I had available. Read nothing but good reviews about the Rezound. I got the Rezound about 1 week ago while I am waiting for the gnex. I haven't gotten 1 drop out yet. Goes to show that its more of Motorola part than Verizon. basically the bionic has a pos antenna in it.

Sent from my HTC Rezound 4g LTE
  12. mamawm

mamawm New Member

here's my 2cents. when i first got the bionic on release day everything just worked. we did not have 4g at that time. when i left home and cut off wifi i had to go several miles down the road and then 3g would connect. an area near home got 4g in october, the same weekend as the nationwwide outage. after that when i would leave home and cut off wifi nothing but a reboot would allow me to connect to 3g or any kind of data. most frustrating. then just before thanksgiving, suddenly it all changed again. now i cut off wifi and instantly connect to 3g. yeah! i haven't changed anything on my phone, still stock, unrooted. i think verizon updated something on their end.

as to the random reboots, during the first 2 weeks i had the phone it happened 4 times. i was following the forums so i knew that a fix was coming and decided to live with it. then i had a problem with a few apps that just weren't working like i thought they should so i unstalled them. one of the was handcent (it wouldn't hold my settings) and a couple of games. and guess what, haven't had a reboot since. i believe that a lot of the reboot issues are directly related to installed apps either not playing nice with the bionic or not playing nice with themselves, i.e. 2 apps conflicting with each other.

all said and done, i love my bionic and as soon as i get that update and the camera is faster it will for sure be my perfect phone.
  13. Derekweb

Derekweb New Member

Agree. The update improved the network switching in fringe 4G areas, but it still is not always a seamless hand off.
  14. MyEntityRemains

MyEntityRemains New Member

Again, it's probably more to do with the network. Verizon are constantly updating the towers. Until 4G LTE is stable, we'll have to live with some data drops. I have friends with the HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Charge, etc., and they suffer the same data issues.
  15. bweN diorD

bweN diorD Well-Known Member

i tend to disagree,
    i have a charge, bionic, and razr also and the charge works like a champ, always has, where both moto phones fail...
  16. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

Until such time as we ever hear what the actual issues are, we can only speculate. But I am in the "It's the network" camp. More specifically, I think it's something misconfigured at some of the cell sites that doesn't play nice with Motorola's LTE chipset. Why else would it be such a hit-or-miss issue for people? I have personally spoken with other Bionic owners in my immediate area and none of them have had data issues. One of my Bionic-owning friends did state that he started having the issue when he went out of town for vacation, however upon arrival back home, the problem no longer existed. This is on the 5.5.886 firmware.

Also, people report in these forums about how their data issues have disappeared seemingly overnight. Why would this happen? Because most likely, VZW identified the issue with their tower and fixed it silently.

I think it's an issue similar to the issues you see with some home wifi equipment, where certain wifi chipsets don't play nice with the router due to a slight incompatibility.

We do have to remember that Motorola's LTE chipset is a relatively late comer to the game, and didn't exist when the equipment that runs the LTE network was deployed.
  17. Human_Droid

Human_Droid New Member

I'm not sure if these numbers below on each device are all the same. Are they firmware versions? If so, they are from my Bionic.

I don't know anything about what antenna is being used in it.

Here are some numbers I got from my Bionic:

Baseband Version: CDMA_N_03.1C.57R, ltedc_u_05.15.01
  18. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

Human_Droid, that is your baseband revision. Which means that is the version number of the firmware that controls the radio equipment in your device. This number will be the same across Bionics running the same Verizon software package. Yours is the correct baseband for 5.5.893, which is the version people are getting with the soak test.
  19. Human_Droid

Human_Droid New Member

If the latest 4G LTE devices were using the same antennas than it would narrow a few things down to the dropping issues whether hardware, driver, or software based, no?
  20. bweN diorD

bweN diorD Well-Known Member

we coud likely debate this forever and never know the exact cause of the issues,
    but using your logic, i still put it on moto. the network is existing, why would they use a chip or modem that doesnt play nice with what your intending to use it on.
    its like moto saying, were using this equipment, fix your network so it works with our equipment... thats not vzw's fault imo, even though you may be right and vzw is left to fix something that wasnt broken....
Search tags for this page

update for droid bionic build 5.5.1 84