Still Foggy With Customizing Root Files - Help Please

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by neccoguy21, Jun 27, 2010.

1. neccoguy21

neccoguy21 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going through my sd card right now on my computer, condensing as much as i can. You know, moving the single pictures from here and there i took with some random app. saving important stuff. and when i started condensing my mp3s, i remembered that i had found where the system ringtones are.

can i do any of the following?

a) convert .oog files to mp3? (dunno why yet, but i like the power)

b) convert any of my custom ringtones ive made into .oog and place them where i see fit in the root folder at /system/media/audio/ringtones, or .../notifications, etc.? (This would be really helpful with the amount of wipes and rom flashes i do, as well as making any app that accesses ringtones see only the ones i want, and not my entire music folder which is what i get 99% of the time. that way i can also mount and back up my own custom system ringtone folder that goes goes with me for the wipes)

c) even replace the .oog files in the ui folder with my own and simply copy the name of the original file? For example, Make my phone quack everytime i unlock it? Not that i want to, but its an easy example.

any information would be greatly appreciated!

Bonus Question: Can anyone point me to a thread, or post, or guide somewhere that lays out the jist of the important files and folders on the root of the card? It's quite a tedious task without some proper guidance. I'm only just now understanding what some of the root folders are (such as finding the system tones this morning) by recognizing them from the many posts and threads about hacks and tweaks that went straight over my head. Im also interested in the original files that are supposed to be just on the /sdcard root as well, to get rid of any unnecessary data thats left over on my card before i do a clean install of a new rom.

THANKS AGAIN!dancedroid

2. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +92
  3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    The great question on this thread and it has been asked before is what can we safely remove from the SD card? Half of my SD card is now used and I have a feeling it isn't because i pushed some apps on there. I see stuff that I have no idea what it is and I'm to afraid just to dump it.

Wouldn't it be sweet if they made something like CC cleaner for a Droid? Something just to clan your junk out every once in a while.

4. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Well I know what you shouldn't remove, thinking I was doing some good I removed some necessary start-up files from my SDcard and ended up having to erase and reformat it. After reformation, Android made three files on my SD, lost.dir which is still empty today, Android fusion which has three Cache files inside and Android which has a data folder inside with map, media and more cache, so I know these are important. Everything else is created by apps and of course by us with the music, video, pictures, and themes we put on it. Even if you were to erase a file that an app created the next time you used that app it will create a new file. Also if you uninstall an app the file it created on your SD will remain there untill you erase it

5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, I know about the files that are created by the apps stored in the SD card but I've read that you shouldn't delete these because other apps may use these same stored files.

6. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Yeah, I have learned to approach with caution when it comes to the SD, I spend a lot of time in Root Explorer and keep a close eye on new files. After a while I began to get a feel for what belongs and what doesn't and what made what file and so on...also I keep a back-up copy of my SD on my computer, just in case

7. neccoguy21

neccoguy21 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys! No word on where to find a rundown of the system files? (like the lib and sys folders. what's in them and what uses them and why they're there and all that...) Thanks again!

8. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +92
    The more I dug the more I learned, even .xml files you can open in text editor by long pressing it and you are able to see the contents. Just don't change anything untill you know what you are getting into, and Good Luck

Search tags for this page

fusion 2 lost.dir

verizon quack sound