Still annoyed by the choppy scrolling performance

paOol

Reaction score
i noticed that some sites like alldroid are REALLLY laggy to browse through, like very noticeable.

and some other sites like digg.com, or engadget are much much smoother.
it also seems like dolphin is faster than the stock browser, for some sites at least.

and i definitely agree this has been a problem that occured in 2.0.1.

darreno1

Reaction score
I've seen a video of 2.1 on the Droid it was definitely smoother so it should be better in 2.1.

Like someone already mentioned, the iPhone uses the GPU throughout its interface so the OS movement is like that of an optimized 3d game with very little polygons to throw around. It's going to be smooth.

This can be done (and probably will be) with Android at some point. For me, the choppiness is invisible for the most part. Of course I'd like it to be smoother, but it's such a small (rather non essential) part of my overall experience with the phone that I forget it's there.

Droids

Reaction score
I have used Dolphin from the start and my browser scrolls smooth as silk no matter what website I'm on. My home screens scroll smooth mostly, could be a little better, and 2.1 will likely make this better, but no lag at all in the browser.

radsaq

Reaction score
I have used Dolphin from the start and my browser scrolls smooth as silk no matter what website I'm on. My home screens scroll smooth mostly, could be a little better, and 2.1 will likely make this better, but no lag at all in the browser.

Ever visit websites with graphics? :) It gets pretty painful.

Droids

Reaction score

Ever visit websites with graphics? :) It gets pretty painful.
Like what, Myspace maybe? Good grief that site would slow a brand new computer to a crawl. I go to sites that have both text and graphics, pretty much typical everyday sites, and no lag. If I were to go to myspace (and thankfully I never would, it's been some time since I was a teenybopper), I might as well reboot the phone before the page would even finish loading.

authority11

Reaction score
I have used Dolphin from the start and my browser scrolls smooth as silk no matter what website I'm on.

No offense, but I find this highly improbable. You either haven't encountered the websites on which this lag is noticeable or you aren't recognizing the lag that we are talking about.

Droids

Reaction score
I have used Dolphin from the start and my browser scrolls smooth as silk no matter what website I'm on.

No offense, but I find this highly improbable. You either haven't encountered the websites on which this lag is noticeable or you aren't recognizing the lag that we are talking about.
No offense taken. Just saying I don't experience it. I find waiting for a website to fully load annoying, and that depends on the website, but I don't see any lag once the site is up. Anyway the whole Android OS is still pretty new, and the hardware that runs it is pretty new too so it will only get better and voicing complaints about such things will get them addressed sooner rather than later so it's all good. I'm just saying don't be too quick to compare it to the iPhone or other phones that have had a lot more time to mature. In time Android will meet or exceed all the others.

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Iphone is smoother, but I definitely like the flick scrolling more on the droid. :)

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Im hoping 2.1 helps. There will be other updates after 2.1 so its just a matter of time

radsaq

Reaction score
Sites such as nytimes.com and this site are pretty choppy in 2.0.1. This was definitely not true in 2.0, as I specifically remember looking at the content-heavy front page of nytimes.com and thinking how smooth the droid rendered it.

emagic103

Reaction score
+ 1

I'll take it a step further. I notice the lag too on my droid. Not only is the iphone smooth but so are htc phones with sense ui installed. This leads me to believe it's a vanilla android issue. Hopefully this can be fixed with better coding in future updates.

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Can't really compare Sense UI to vanilla Android.

You might find that 2.0.1 with Sense would be just as choppy. Who really knows?

We all know its software related and can be fixed. When it will be fixed is the question.

dos

Reaction score
I have noticed the issue to since the update. I am hoping that it gets better after 2.1.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't get these complaints either (if smooth scrolling is so important there's always the iPhone) but I wonder if the screen is actually the issue versus the "lag" is mentioned in all these threads?
http://gizmodo.com/5444514/smartphone-touch-screen-analysis-tests-finger-fidelity

While the tests really aren't conclusive it doesn't seem like much of a leap to think that the screen's ability to interpret finger motions could cause what people think of as lag.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
No, thats what you call poor experiment design.

1. The human factor is always variable.
2. The software is not the same between the devices.

Point in case, here are MY Droid results: