Still annoyed by the choppy scrolling performance

kenkamm

Reaction score
I've been searching on google and reading up on this issue for a while, and I still haven't found any definitive answers on it. Various threads have discussed solutions but nothing proves to work, even a complete reset of the phone.

I would like to ask anyone who has not already done so to add a star to this topic, so that it will get some attention of the developers. I believe this issue takes away some of the enjoyment of using this otherwise great device.

Issue 5286 - android - Browser lags when scrolling after 2.0.1 Update on Motorola DROID - Project Hosting on Google Code

The choppy scrolling or "lag" is a nuisance. Coming from an iPhone I may be a little more bothered by this, because all the animations and scrolling on the iPhone 3GS were butter-smooth.

On my droid, even scrolling the home screens left and right exhibits a slow refresh rate, or choppy feel to it. I have simplified my home screens by removing all widgets, tweaked all the settings I can based on recommendations in various threads I have read. No marked improvements.

The browser is terrible. Scrolling around is very choppy. I've tried all different kinds of resets, clearing the caches, etc. Nothing works. Stock browser, Dolphin - doesn't matter. This is some kind of issue with the graphical performance of the OS.

Many people claim they don't see any lag or choppy scrolling effect. I think many of these poeple need to pick up an iPhone and play around with that for a while to see how much more responsive the screen is to input, and how much more smoothly everything slides around without a stutter, chop, lag, or whatever you want to call it. Once you see how it should be, you will see what the issue with the droid is.

Regards
Ken

jmacal83

Reaction score
Maybe this issue will be fixed with the Android 2.1 update...coming in the next few weeks.

EnergyAtma

Reaction score
i may have the answer

your old iphone only focuses on one thing at a time so every resource it has is completely focused on the current app and it pry scrolls around and runs very fast. Droid doesnt give that kind of resource to every program because it multitasks. its only noticable if you come from the iphone previously. its still not terrible at all. but if ur a stickler then i guess its a hit we take but just get used to it and smile when you are listening to pandora while broswing the net or checking your emails (or any other combination of things iphone users dream about doing).

OP
K

kenkamm

Reaction score
so stick to your iphone...
No thanks. I didn't say I didn't like the droid. I am annoyed by this issue. There were other things to be annoyed about by the iPhone, so now I have a droid.

bacalao

Reaction score
Just have a little patience til 2.1 update and see if that takes care of it.

OP
K

kenkamm

Reaction score
your old iphone only focuses on one thing at a time so every resource it has is completely focused on the current app and it pry scrolls around and runs very fast. Droid doesnt give that kind of resource to every program because it multitasks. its only noticable if you come from the iphone previously. its still not terrible at all. but if ur a stickler then i guess its a hit we take but just get used to it and smile when you are listening to pandora while broswing the net or checking your emails (or any other combination of things iphone users dream about doing).

I don't think multitasking is the issue. Even with zero installed apps, this thing has choppy graphical performance. I had my iPhone jailbroken and running a backgrounder app which allows pandora, AIM, or whatever else run in the background, and the screens still flow around on the screen like liquid. The horsepower is there on the droid, but the software isn't there yet perhaps.

This seems to be an issue that got much worse with the 2.0.1 update, from everything I read.

Check out this link and star it if you wish.
Issue 5286 - android - Browser lags when scrolling after 2.0.1 Update on Motorola DROID - Project Hosting on Google Code

bacalao

Reaction score
Actually, it had great scrolling with no lag/chops before the update, so it is capable for sure.

SteelyStan

Reaction score
It's on and off for me... sometimes my scrolling is fluid and other times it's very very choppy.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
most of the time my scrolling in a browser is fluid. However, the more I zoom out the choppier it is. I hope this is fixed in 2.1 or whatever the next update should be.

Silver Member
Reaction score
can we get a definition of what you feel is choppy, laggy? i mean, i've seen WAY worse than what the DROID does and you have to realize, you're browsing media rich websites on a 500mhz processor. the internet pretty much doesn't work on a desktop PC with 500mhz these days.

although i get a little "delay" when doing some things, most of the animations and what i do is very smooth.

i'd rather have a solid performer with a few quirks and a beauty pageant winner than can only do one thing.

radsaq

Reaction score
The choppiness in the browser in 2.0.1 is rather annoying. It gets pretty terrible on websites with lots of graphics, especially when the graphics are currently visible (but sometimes areas of just text on the same page will scroll mostly smoothly).

As far as home screen lag goes, I use Home++ in large part due to the smoothness of screen switches (and its similarity to the standard Home app).

Mmracing

Reaction score
My daughter has a Palm Pre and it is much smoother than my Droid (I have never used an iPhone so I don't know how it compares). I thought it was the stock browser so I changed to Dolphin but did not see any improvement.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've noticed various degrees of choppy browsing at different sites. For example this forum is choppy, but if I got to AVS Forum I have very little if any choppy browsing.

jefbystereo

Reaction score
I definitely feel you on this one. The browser doesnt bother me so much but the scrolling of the home screens left/right, and bringing up the app tray are sometimes pretty choppy. Bringing down the notification bar is just painful. Now these issues are only sometimes, but I do agree that it could be cleaned up a lot to get a better user experience.