Steve Jobs says Android/Google won't keep up

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by p1ngputts, Feb 1, 2010.

1. johnflo88

johnflo88 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @JFDroid; It will happened, i am afraid! Iphone= ipad=I-SHEEP.:icon_ devil:I-steve

2. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Ratings:
    +49
    I agree. I did see one review of the iPad, saying that like the iPhone, before it come out, there were bloggers saying how bad it was, but after people started using the iPhone those bloggers mysteriously vanished. They were expecting the same with the iPad, no more bloggers saying how bad it was once the public actually got to use it.

3. astevens54

astevens54 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo
    Jobs is out of touch, it's evident after the comments he made about Netbooks and for the top of the line iPad costing $830. No real OS, no USB, no flash... you get the idea. I owned a Touch and loved it, but sold it after upgrading to a Droid. I will say at least the Droid community is open and we can even talk about hacks. Try that with Apple and your post will be deleted with a nasty email from the moderator. I love not having to use iTunes!

4. jmart8684

jmart8684 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On a note of steve jobs we didn't enter the search engine, google entered the phone industry, or whatever the quote was...google was planning to enter the smartphone world before the iphone was even thought of. Google bought android mid 2005, even a couple months before the Motorola Rockr w/ itunes was released...and also the leaked froyo w/ ported flash is working a bit better then jobs made it out to be..

5. hazydave

hazydave Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Of course they did. Google's move into smart phones started, at least, as a very savvy defensive move. Think about it... before you had a smart phone with first-class web browsing, you probably went off to a PC somewhere to browse. Now, just whip out that smart phone. The big problem was, back around 2004, every smart phone platform was proprietary. And it was easy to see that, at the very least, Google could wind up with zero percent of the default search-engine installed base. And they technically could be shut out overnight, if an aggressive alternative grew the right legs to get Palm, RIM, Microsoft, etc. away from offering Google as a default. And of course, MS was already getting into the search engine business.

I think today, Android is so much more, for Google as well. The very nature of search is changing on these devices, with things like augmented reality and GPS enhancing search is cool new ways. Was Google really supposed to cross their fingers on this, their basic bread and butter? Of course not! And hey, they did the one thing Apple could never do... they delivered a smart phone platform that was precisely what the cell phone manufacturers wanted -- common apps, customizable, open source, and free as they want it.

This is also a huge benefit to consumers, as its opening the smart phone world in very much the same way MS-DOS and Windows pried open the formerly proprietary world of personal computing (MS's stuff never being open source, but certainly "open" in the sense that anyone could put it on their hardware or develop for it). A few weeks ago, you got to see Apple's new offering for the next year... every week, you get to see a couple new Android phones. One size never fits all (this coming from a guy who wears a size 8 hat...).

Of course it is. Jobs is primarily a Marketroid. On a great day, Marketing guys are only just lying to you. Jobs is powerful enough to sometimes change the markets just based on his ramblings, and this was one such attempt. His real goal is to eliminate the need for any first class applications or video sales on the iOS devices that isn't coming directly through Apple in some way. Flash was and still is very, very much necessary for a first-class web browsing experience, and video is only a small part of that. But Jobs loves the idea of HTML 5's video tag... it removes any possibility of DRMed video and is very likely to become a common video standard. So he attacks Flash by framing the argument entirely around video, then taking on Flash as being slow on the iOS and Mac devices... BECAUSE APPLE DOESN'T HAVE OPEN VIDEO ACCELERATION APIs (the latest version of MacOS does, now, but this is recent). In short, they caused the problem, and get to blame Adobe for it.

Their win here is that, if people stop needed Flash for a first class web experience, Apple won't lose market share due to not supporting Flash. This is still a big IF, and probably why Google and Adobe are both so friendly these days. Killing enough demand for Flash gives you free video in HTML, but every bit of pay video has to come via the iTunes store. This also puts the nix on Flash games, free or paid, that are in many cases good enough to distract users from paying for their iTunes-DLed games.

And of course, allowing only Apple development tools (first time anyone's forced such a closed back-end on any platform... even Flash development is more open), means developers can't use Flash + AIR or other multi-platform tools for iOS development. So they're either spending extra money for iOS support, or extra money for other platforms. Jobs, of course, has the ego to believe this will absolutely hurt other platforms.... given the relative market share of Android, Blackberry, and Nokia smart phone platforms, I have my doubts.

6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I really do love my Mac computer.:heart:

7. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    I've never been a Mac fan. Not to say they don't have their place. I don't knock anyone who loves them.

But I've been building PC's for myself for years... a Mac can't feed that addiction. :)

8. korp

korp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Android is way ahead of where Apple started with the iPhone. They may be releasing more updates but Android really has a small margin to catch up on.

9. gocflamedragon

gocflamedragon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse me but i believe it is ios that is playing catch up to android, Was androids 2.2 update to bring multitasking that the competitors already had? the answer is the other way around. Apple is playing catch up to us at this point we had multi tasking from the start they didn't, We have flash they dont in my opinion in terms of performance and features android is way ahead of the game. The only thing we need to catch up on is brainwashing the masses like apple has.

10. korp

korp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not really .... Android uses a lot of similarities that iOS already had long before it's time. Multi-tasking/flash are really the only things not counting the open source ability. If Android was not open source, it would not be moving ahead of iOS and we would have not had pinch to zoom for a long time.

With increased processor speeds and additional memory .... yes Android will win.

11. gocflamedragon

gocflamedragon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dude everything has similarities, for instance do u buy a brand new tv and expect it to be something complete different? no its going to have similarities to your old one. Also the similarites argument is just something that is normaly used by fanboys who dont like android im not saying your a fanboy but im just throwing it out there.

12. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Steve jobs is a tool.

5-6 years ago, search for it he stated that tablets would not amount to much either, so let's see, what did they just release?

Let him blow all the smoke he wants. open source will always beat out closed platforms in the end run. That's all that has to be said. Wait and watch.

So let's say in 2-3 years we all decide to give up flash and go to html5? Ok, well it won't be a hassle for dev's, just the content providers, and right now flash is it. When/if that changes, android will not only handle it, but most likely the changes will come more quickly that Apple could do it in the first place.

I'm not a fan of apple, but if that's what you want more power to you. The fact that they control the strings does give the user a pleasurable experience, however their network choice left a lot to be desired.

Instead of blabbering abount android, flash, and gizmodo getting a prototype, he should be bashing ATT for why the damn thing can't HOLD a call ... Isn't it totally funny that one has never heard him say anything about that? Even during his epic fail keynote ???

13. mrdroid

mrdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well said.

14. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    jobs, customizing phones for those that can't since 2007! We will customize our own.....

15. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    +1 :icon_ banana: