Steve Jobs says Android/Google won't keep up

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by p1ngputts, Feb 1, 2010.

1. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I will say, MAC computers are pretty much all awesome. Of course.. I'd have to sell a kidney to be able to afford one... But they are pretty sweet. The iPhone seemed pretty awesome till I got my Droid, now its like meh... The Droid is allready better, and will continue to pull away with updates..

2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    One thing I will guarantee.....is that the next iPhone, will probably be monumental, in progression of smart "superphones". I know that the iPhone was what invented all of the smartphone hype, and without it, we probably wouldn't have the Droid or Nexus One or hardly any of the advanced smartphones we have. But now, their beloved iPhone is being threatened and losing its glimmer...so they are probably going to re-invent the smartphone market, with the suiperphone market. Because after phones like the Nexus, with its processor, and the Droid, with its usefulness and beautiful screen, they're going to make an iPhone that is just ridiculous.....I mean think about it. The Nexus One runs on a 1GHz processor, the same speed processor the iPad runs on! The phone runs the same speed as a tablet PC! So the iPhone 4G will probably come standard with a 15GHz processor and either 10,000 GB, 20,000GB, or a 50,000GB storage capacity!!! LOL I can see it now....

3. jev

jev Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This can only be positive for all. Competition is what drives innovation and with apple stepping it up, so will google and all real competitors in the marketplace. It's going to be exciting to see what comes in the future.

4. Rettocs

Rettocs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This for sure. And to be honest, if Apple creates a device that is simply amazing, I am sure not against buying it. Until that happens though, all my support is for Google :D

5. sloopjohnb

sloopjohnb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think android is really growing since last year but still has a few steps before catching up with the iphone. I mean, in mobile development. The apps for the iphone are still much better, specially games. There are some cool apps and 3d games for the android here and there but let's face it, it's nowhere near where the app store is right now. What apple needs to do is make some changes to iphone OS in terms of making it more 'customizable' and opening up multitasking for the user. These changes alone would be a huge hit and when it comes to adding features and updating software overtime apple is in a better position because it has more control over OS updates. Android runs on a bunch of different hardware configurations, manufacture's softwares and carriers. Not to mention the different versions of android on the market. I'll give you an example: google released android 2.0.1 on november I guess and it is STILL not available for most milestone user around the world and why? Because of motorola's delay, different region setups, different carriers and etc etc. In the end, it's bad for developers and customers who have to wait months for an update and have no idea when it's coming.

6. NVash

NVash Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If that iPad is any sort of clue as to what Apple has in store, Google will blow them away in no time. Everyone knows that thing was a horrible idea, now people are trying to market it as an EBook reader and I heard someone even talking about using it to watch movies on the go. Sure, use it for those because it aint much good for anything else.

7. Daver

Daver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Jobs cracks me up at his ignorance. I wonder what would happen if you showed up to work at apple with a droid/nexus lol. Would it be like showing up to the ford plant in a honda?

8. jkhonea

jkhonea DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +20
    One very important thing to keep in mind. The success of Android in comparison to the Iphone is completely in Google's hands. But one thing they are going to have to fix and fix quickly is the fractured releases of Android out and still being released. Versions 1.5, 2.0, 2.1 with, in many cases, older versions not being in line to come current. Until they stop fracturing and get consistent with their OS version, they are only going to be hurting themselves. It still looks like they might be holding back some as far as trying to keep 2.1 to themselves on the Nexus at this point, and that kind of thing is recognized and acknowledged. And not necessarily in a good way.

So basically, they need to get on the ball and get things onto a steadier, more consistent plane to succeed. Otherwise they will start losing the attention of the developers. And if they DO start losing the attention of the developers, that's a momentum that's very hard to get back again.

Just my thoughts on it. I hope they get it together because I really don't like monopolies and absolutely HATE the Windows Mobile OS. They've got the shot now, question is, do they keep going or drop the ball?

9. JonKyu

JonKyu Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    UGGH, Unfortunately there are soooo many people defending this iPad thing. Not to mention now Kindle is in trouble because major publishers are backing out of Amazon due to being unhappy with low Pricing and jumping to the iPad thing because it allows them to charge more.

10. NVash

NVash Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I want a Kindle, Ill admit it, but fact is the books on there are too daggone expensive and its STILL not in color. How long has the thing been out now? Cmon now, this is ridiculous. I dont care about the E-ink and all that other stuff, all I know is the Nook just came out and its in color. You can 'lend' your friend a book up to three weeks, that kinda thing is what sold the Nook to me immediately. I havent bought one, however, Im sticking with my iTouch and Droid EBook readers. But if I ever upgrade the Nook is looking real good. And the book pricing, Ive read many complaints on the Amazon board about that. Think they said that you can actually go out and buy the actual book cheaper than the EBook version. What kind of mess is that? Not to mention it cant read PDF or LIT, IIRC, so its useless to me.

11. JFDroid

JFDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is really sad.

Maybe, just maybe, the iPad won't sell like crazy and the higher prices won't make up for lower volume of sales for these publishers, and they will court Amazon and come back and lower prices.

I doubt it, because people are sheep and love anything Apple creates, but in my dreams this might happen. Ha.

12. hazydave

hazydave Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah... yeah... um

Yeah, right. Apple has shown, for so many years, that they are perfectly capable of competing with the whole of the PC industry on desktops. That's why they're beating down Microsoft so much.

Oh wait.. that didn't happen. Macs have done better lately in the USA, but they're still only about 5% of the global installed base of personal computers.

So now, we have virtually every other smart phone company other than RIM, Apple, and Palm doing something with Android. Even Noika, the current market leader in smart phones internationally (last year, they sold about 4x as many as Apple), is playing with Android, though right now, only on tablets... but hey, they're already doing Linux. They could easily sell a device that offers the customer a choice between Maemo and Android. But I digress...

Apple will fail for many reasons, but here's one simple one. Android smartphone are already going out at $50 out-of-pocket on special deals. This is saving cell phone companies huge cash -- on the low end, it's the lack of a need to pay licensing fees... Android is already the #2 Applications Smartphone. So the price drops to a place Apple will NEVER go. On the high-end, there are already multiple Android phones outperforming the iPhone on just about any benchmark you'd care to name. That's not just a momentary thing, that's an nonlinear trend. Android will not just remain better, it'll get progressively better still, HW and SW. And Apple can't do a bloody thing to stop it, even given their crazy cash reserves.

RIM's the one to suffer first. If I were running RIM, I'd at the very least have all of my enterprise phone software ported to Android ASAP. That's the thing with RIM... no one ever bought a Blackberry for its OS, or for its consumer-level features. With rare exception, they got a BlackBerry because their company loved the say a single admin at one's company can set policies and all sorts of restrictions and requirements on everyone's BlackBerry, all at once. Well, that, and, like Palm, they were one of the first companies making phones that did texting well.

But put the RIM enterprise hooks into a custom RIM version of Android, and they leave behind the bad things about BlackBerries, while moving what the do well forward.

They had better.. and it better be more than just iPad junk in an iPhone case. Between the Motorola DROID, the Google Nexus One, and the forthcoming Sony Xperia X10, the future of the smart phone is clear, and it has evolved beyond any iPhone. Sure, there's some work yet to happen in places on Android... in other places, it's already miles ahead. Things like multitasking, Java + Flash for a first class web experience, things Apple will NEVER do. At least as long as Jobs is boss, no one really has to worry THAT much about Apple, because they will voluntarily make themselves second class, versus Android.

And you can bet, from now until forever, that any developer who's been put through the Apple "acceptance wringer", either to have to castrate their original vision, or have it rejected entirely, is looking into Android, if they are not there already. Not to mention that Apple is very US-centric... Android is already international. There's work yet to do on Android, but it's happening. Consider the companies involved. Just Motorola has about 300 people working on Android support and development. This includes HTC, Sony Ericsson, Vodafone, Dell, Kyocera, Sprint, Acer, Panasonic, nVidia, Huawei, Telefonica, T-Mobile, Broadcom Corp., China Unicom, Verizon, Texas Instruments, Intel, LG, Marvell Technology Group, Motorola, Qualcomm, Samsung Electronics, ARM Holdings Plc, Atheros Communications, Asustek Computer Inc, Garmin Ltd, Softbank, Sony Ericsson, Toshiba Corp, and of course, Google. And I'm sure, many others.

Versus Apple. You'll note not just a few companies in that list who are larger than Apple.

Don't forget, Apple was once the most profitable personal computer company, as well as one of the top sellers. They couldn't match Commodore for volume (not sure about Atari), but they did enjoy much higher margins. They fell, fast, once the IBM PC got cloned. There's absolutely no reason to believe that, with more vibrant market dynamics against Apple today, another industry coming together on a software standard, just as in the PC days, that Apple will do any better in the long run than they've done in the PC business.

This isn't about "killing", really. My boss of some decades ago, Jack Tramiel, got famous for not only saying "business is war", but following up on that. And yet, Apple survived the 8-bit era, but were never as dominant. Until the iPod, and even the iPhone.. they're very profitable, but only about 10-12% of the global smart phone business. Versus 5% of the personal computer business. People in the USA don't see the big picture, and tend to believe Apple is more than they really are.

So Apple won't get killed. But some the PC dynamics may eventually take hold. They might be forced to compete with better actual hardware, rather than just a myth of better hardware. They will have to be on many phone networks, because, in a few months, there will be Android phones on all US phone networks (only AT&T has not yet offered an Android phone yet). They will also be forced down in price. But I'm betting, as with the modern PC, they'll carve out a weird niche. You can buy an iPhone today, knowing it's the best supported applications phone today. But Android will pass it, probably in 2011, and won't look back. Anyone really understanding how these markets work sees this only as a "when", not an "if". Jobs... well, he's selling stuff. Don't expect a straight answer.

e.g, the level most PC manufacturers have been at for the last 6-9 months. The Mac IS a PC, and can't be anything different in any significant way. Slim cases and non-replaceable batteries get notice in the press, but largely just out of momentum from when Apple did interesting things. The problem is, they can't be every PC company doing every interesting thing. So they might well rank up there with HP or Toshiba or Sony or Lenovo in terms of innovations in any cycle. But never all of them.

Then you have the Apple religion. Like building the PC and monitor into a single case. That looks cool, but it's really, really stupid for any consumer to buy that. I mean, if you're a PC user, how often do you change monitors vs. PCs? Maybe the bog lowest consumer buys monitor + PC every time, but usually , the monitor lasts through a few PC generations. Apple's just sucking more cash from you, doing this. It's self-limiting... there's another one born every minute, but not that many.

No, it's not. I've been making Blu-Ray using Sony Vegas on the PC for nearly two years now. Apple's stupid here, and since they cater to a professional market with their various pro-video offerings, they're just hurting themselves. No one's moving to Mac in this field who isn't already using it, but those using it and needing Blu-Ray (which accounts for a minimum of 10% sales for any major hollywood release, and sometimes as much as 25-30%) will go elsewhere. And they may not return.

Sony did it right... they released a version of DVD Architect (their DVD authoring program) that simply let you map DVD to BD. So I create a BD project, change a few things, and it's a DVD. This isn't going to make you leave Sony's Blu-Print or Sonic Solution's various Blu-Ray tools.. but neither will anything Apple's doing. Sure, at some point, I'll want more Blu-Ray specific tools, but for small independent production, the best tool today is author once, burn twice. That's much easier than delivering do "do everything" app, what with BD-Java and all the possibilities in Blu-Ray. But hey, it's nice for Apple to give the fairly closed Mac media content creation community a reason to look at better solutions.

13. johnflo88

johnflo88 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @darreno1;BEAUTIFULLY SPOKEN!! people,couldn't agree more. :icon_ banana:

14. jcardona1

jcardona1 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +40
    why i love Google/Android/my Droid, it still cant touch the iPhone in terms of touch screen responsiveness and scrolling. this is a major deal breaker for many people IMO. and its the #1 complaint i hear from iphone people picking up the Droid.

until this issue gets resolved, iPhone will continue to grow. and i too have a feeling the new iPhone will be nothing short of amazing. but i'm still standing by Android :)

15. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Ratings:
    +49
    At this point I have a question for Steve Jobs...

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"