1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Steve Jobs says Android/Google won't keep up

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by p1ngputts, Feb 1, 2010.

1. p1ngputts

p1ngputts New Member

Steve Jobs held a town hall meeting with Apple employees late last week following the iPad launch. Wired reports on what was said at the meeting by Steve Jobs. Two of the biggest topics included Google and Adobe.

On Google, Jobs confirms the much-reported competition between the two companies. On Google: We did not enter the search business, Jobs said. They entered the phone business. Make no mistake they want to kill the iPhone. We won't let them, he says.
    As for Adobe, Jobs said they are lazy and Jobs blames Adobe for a buggy implementation of Flash on the Mac as one of the reasons they won't support it. Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy, he says. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it's because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, he says. The world is moving to HTML5.
    Those are the main points covered by Wired's article. We had received a more detailed report of the Apple meeting, but hadn't been able to corroborate it until now. Many of the details of the Wired report were identical to our anonymous submission, so we believe it to be accurate. Some additional key points that we learned:

- Apple will deliver aggressive updates to iPhone that Android/Google won't be able to keep up with
    - iPad is up there with the iPhone and Mac as the most important products Jobs has been a part of
    - Regarding the Lala acquisition, Apple was interested in bringing those people into the iTunes team
    - Next iPhone coming is an A+ update
    - New Macs for 2010 are going to take Apple to the next level
    - Blu-Ray software is a mess, and Apple will wait until sales really start to take off before implementing it.
  2. mikes

mikes New Member

This is simple: ATT vs. Verizon. Android doesn't have to keep up, it's already ahead. It's a phone first, everything else is secondary. It's the network, dummy.
  3. p1ngputts

p1ngputts New Member

seems like they know they can't beat the network, and are going after everything else. If it wasn't for the horrible coverage, I would fully support ATT.
  4. Maverick0984

Maverick0984 New Member

And you entered the phone business when you weren't otherwise in it? What the heck kinda sense is that?

Good Luck.

iPad is a massive disappointment.
  5. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

jobs needs to take a look at the engadget vote results.. keeping up? yup. ahead? not yet.. but then again, the droid is the first real threat to the iphone and has only been out for a few months. give it another few and i think it will be ahead.
  6. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

ps: if i wanted everything the ipad would do, i would want it to do so in my pocket. = ipod touch.

period. what a waste.
  7. JonKyu

JonKyu New Member

This kinda miffed me off lol I lost a lot of respect for him, you can really tell he is really worried about Google...Let's hope google proves him wrong and puts up a fight with greater updates!
  8. nerdkill

nerdkill New Member

The fact that he said android/google won't keep up is proof that it will. Apple ignores everything that isn't a threat because they know it will only harm themselves if they say anything about another product by giving them attention. I already know 3 other people that left their iPhones for droids/nexus, imagine how many Steve Jobs knows about.
  9. p1ngputts

p1ngputts New Member

Out of everything Apple has accomplished, I truly love the MacBook Pro. It's overpriced, but I would have a hard time going back to a pc.
  10. nerdkill

nerdkill New Member

I love a lot of things Apple. What I don't love is their policies. I've completely transferred from Apple because supporting them only adds to their monopoly. Their policies are bad for the future of tech and the internet. Tech is supposed to be freeing not turning everyone into little slaves that give up their freedom to have the next cool thing.

I love all of their excuses of why they don't have things like flash and multi-tasking. At the end of the day it's because they feel the average Apple fan boy isn't smart enough to have choices. If flash is so bad why can't I have an option to turn it off? Why can't I choose to not multi-task? Why can't I choose what apps I want and how to run them? The real answer is because if Apple allowed you to do that what would they have to sell you in six months?
  11. darreno1

darreno1 New Member

+1000!

And I'd like to add that besides having that firm profitable grip, there's also a huuuuuuuuge ego to feed.
  12. jasonb

jasonb New Member

screw jobbs, screw apple. i liked my ipod nano, but screw apple.
  13. nerdkill

nerdkill New Member

THANKS YO! coincidentally that helped with my ego.
  14. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

:rofl3: I've been saying this for YEARS!!!!! I have NEVER liked Apple products for that very reason... it NEVER made sense for me to buy a computer that I could not update the hardware with the "latest" thing or add simple upgrade for performance.

I was COMPLETELY amazed by the stupidity of iPhone fanboys as they stood inline time and time again just to get the "new" iPhone that simply included one or two features that SHOULD have been in the previous phone (if it wasn't for the fact Apple COUNTS on this type of mindless purchasing to make their sales look so impressive)....
  15. choklitcow

choklitcow New Member

One of the only things true about this, however that is as simple as saying "everyone will be using usb3". Yes...eventually. Eventually what we are talking about now will be equally as obsolete. Seems like a poor business strat, so I presume this quote is probably taken out of context.

The cynic in me went "wow, all they have to do is one update to do that" ;)

This was just propaganda I am sure. He has to support it, but unless there is something HUGE that hasn't been released about the ipad, its definitely not the case (unless this is like his dream baby or something). This seems more "to get the troops rallied" than anything.
    This I don't doubt. They have to do something with the android software starting to explode and Verizon's large audience.
    wait, wasn't that supposed to be the ipad? Either way, this line excites me. I've always liked the mac, even though I have been a pc user for over a decade.
    huh? Blu-ray was like 15% of the market in 08 alone. I wish I could find numbers, but it has to be nearing the 50% mark by now. Not to mention the 3D capabilities soon to be implemented (although who knows if that will take off).
  16. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

I will say, MAC computers are pretty much all awesome. Of course.. I'd have to sell a kidney to be able to afford one... But they are pretty sweet. The iPhone seemed pretty awesome till I got my Droid, now its like meh... The Droid is allready better, and will continue to pull away with updates..
  17. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

One thing I will guarantee.....is that the next iPhone, will probably be monumental, in progression of smart "superphones". I know that the iPhone was what invented all of the smartphone hype, and without it, we probably wouldn't have the Droid or Nexus One or hardly any of the advanced smartphones we have. But now, their beloved iPhone is being threatened and losing its glimmer...so they are probably going to re-invent the smartphone market, with the suiperphone market. Because after phones like the Nexus, with its processor, and the Droid, with its usefulness and beautiful screen, they're going to make an iPhone that is just ridiculous.....I mean think about it. The Nexus One runs on a 1GHz processor, the same speed processor the iPad runs on! The phone runs the same speed as a tablet PC! So the iPhone 4G will probably come standard with a 15GHz processor and either 10,000 GB, 20,000GB, or a 50,000GB storage capacity!!! LOL I can see it now....
  18. jev

jev Member

This can only be positive for all. Competition is what drives innovation and with apple stepping it up, so will google and all real competitors in the marketplace. It's going to be exciting to see what comes in the future.
  19. Rettocs

Rettocs New Member

This for sure. And to be honest, if Apple creates a device that is simply amazing, I am sure not against buying it. Until that happens though, all my support is for Google :D
  20. sloopjohnb

sloopjohnb New Member

I think android is really growing since last year but still has a few steps before catching up with the iphone. I mean, in mobile development. The apps for the iphone are still much better, specially games. There are some cool apps and 3d games for the android here and there but let's face it, it's nowhere near where the app store is right now. What apple needs to do is make some changes to iphone OS in terms of making it more 'customizable' and opening up multitasking for the user. These changes alone would be a huge hit and when it comes to adding features and updating software overtime apple is in a better position because it has more control over OS updates. Android runs on a bunch of different hardware configurations, manufacture's softwares and carriers. Not to mention the different versions of android on the market. I'll give you an example: google released android 2.0.1 on november I guess and it is STILL not available for most milestone user around the world and why? Because of motorola's delay, different region setups, different carriers and etc etc. In the end, it's bad for developers and customers who have to wait months for an update and have no idea when it's coming.