Stepping into the 21st century. RAZR

pico1

Reaction score
Hey all. I just got a Razr and this is my first smartphone! I have been holding out for some time and thought this was my best bet. I know the Nexus and Rezound are around the corner, but to be honest I didn't want anything as big as Nexus and I really won't be using my phone as an MP3 player I know Rezound has beats audio. I'm coming from a Samsung Alias2 so I wanted something small, light, and thought Razr felt the best in my pocket even though it's the same size as most smart phones on droid.

I have a few questions on this phone to try and get the most out of my battery life and looking for any tips you can provide.

Should I leave wifi off when I'm at home and let it run on 4G only? I don't plan on using the phone to browse the web much, as I work at home so I'll be on my laptop anyway. But I was wondering if the 4G uses less standby battery then leaving it on wifi on my desk all day.

Are there any tasks or apps that I should uninstall, kill? I already removed some of those social network ones that run and other office tasks I know I won't use. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
It is recommended to use wifi whenever possible. It uses less battery than 3 or 4g and is usually faster. It also will not count against your data usage if you're not on an unlimited plan.
Task killers are also frowned upon as they aren't needed and use up battery quicker also. Do a search on here about them and you will see.

Sent to today from yesterday using tomorrow's technology.

305rev305

Reaction score
4g is a battery killer. Use wifi whenever you can. Turn off bluetooth when you don't need it. Whenever you plan on being out for a lot of hours, change to 3g. 3g lasts three times as 4g.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to Droid Forums and congrats on your new RAZR!

Graymayre

Reaction score
It is recommended always to use WiFi whenever you can because it uses considerably less energy than network data.
4G is a battery hog.
Hit the menu button and go to settings, then to Battery & data manager. Check out those settings and see what works for you.
Secondly, go to settings and to Wireless & network settings, then scroll to the bottom to Mobile networks. Here you can change between CDMA/LTE auto switch and CDMA only. When you aren't needing the speed as much as you need your battery, set that for CDMA only. But yes, there is an app to make that quicker.

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

OP
pico1

pico1

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, looking online it's sick how much battery 4G drains from a phone. I wonder if Verizon will ever fix that..

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
App is called "lte on off"

U dont need a app. In the settings theres a spot that says:

CDMA/LTE and one that says CDMA only
Lol nevermind its been posted but yeah I'm sure a app would make it quicker if ur using it often.

Sent from my Moto Droid

OP
pico1

pico1

Reaction score
Couple more questions.

On my old phones with the volume I can do a total silent mode, then the next silent mode is vibrate, then regular sound. With this phone it seems that I can only do total silent mode by pressing the volume all the way down. Or I have to choose vibrate as a silent mode option in the menu. But I can do total silent and vibrate silent on the fly correct?

Also is there a way to put a password on certain apps? Such as Gallery, email apps (yahoo) etc?

lobo13

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this answers your question or not. Since I am not entirely sure what you mean. But, I think from the lock screen you can just turn on silent mode.

OP
pico1

pico1

Reaction score
I think what I mean is that on my old phones I can do a mode where it's vibrate, then I can also do a total silent mode (no vibrate). It seems for me to switch to silent mode either by the lock screen or the volume buttons I can only go to either total silent from here. Or I can go into settings and choose vibrate. But when I do that, even when I hit the volume buttons all the way down, it goes to Vibrate and not total silent. The only way I can go back to total silent is to go into settings and turn vibrate off. Make sense?

I want to know if I can do both without having to go into settings all the time. :)

OP
pico1

pico1

Reaction score
I think what I mean is that on my old phones I can do a mode where it's vibrate, then I can also do a total silent mode (no vibrate). It seems for me to switch to silent mode either by the lock screen or the volume buttons I can only go to either total silent from here. Or I can go into settings and choose vibrate. But when I do that, even when I hit the volume buttons all the way down, it goes to Vibrate and not total silent. The only way I can go back to total silent is to go into settings and turn vibrate off. Make sense?

I want to know if I can do both without having to go into settings all the time. :)

bump. Any way to switch from complete silent mode to vibrate and vice versa without having to go into settings all the time to do so?

spyder560

Reaction score
bump. Any way to switch from complete silent mode to vibrate and vice versa without having to go into settings all the time to do so?

i use beautiful toggle\widgets..works perfect

kawi117ps

Reaction score
Dazzle is a free widget in the market. One of the settinngs allows you to go from normal to silent to vibrate.