Steinheil Crystal

leftbrain99

Reaction score
My Crystal came in the mail yesterday as well. I did the steamy shower thing, too. (Been doing that since my first screen protector in 2006, so it's an old trick). Really like the product - much easier to work with than the "wet" applications like Zagg. I did actually manage to get a spec of dust underneath mine the first time and it was bothering me. Get the screen on there fast, because it is tacky and will draw in dust. I scrapped that one and tried the second one and it went on perfectly. I used my Seidio case as a frame to guide me, because it fits fairly closely inside of that.

But, I had one bubble on the edge. I spent hours trying to work it out with a thin plastic card and it looked perfect (so no dust under the screen), but that bubble popped back up after a few seconds. I am convinced that it is a manufacturing flaw in this particular screen - it is somehow permanently warped in that spot. So, I sent SGPStore a photo and they responded very quickly about replacing it with a brand new set of screen protectors. Great customer service and a really great product, assuming my problem is an isolated one.

As for the screen itself, smudges are MUCH less noticeable. Whereas the bare screen shows fingerprints and swipe smudges fairly easily, with the Crystal on, I can see them if I look for them in reflected light, but they don't show very much at all otherwise. Definitely better than the bare glass. The feel is very good. Not AS good as the bare glass, but still nice and smooth. Just a little more "plastic feeling" than bare glass.

Jury is still out, but so far, so good.

Reaction score
Interesting. I actually had the same problem with a bubble on the edge that was definitely not caused by dust. I think the protector got slightly bent when I was removing the protective film. I simply took off my Seidio case front one night while watching tv and pinned the bubble down with my thumb for a while. The first time this worked for about a day before the bubble came back, but since the second time I've done this (about 6 days age) the bubble has stayed gone and shows no signs of returning.

leftbrain99

Reaction score
Huh. That makes a lot of sense. I'm trying to remember which side the tabs that you use to remove each film layer are on, but if that is the side, then that may very well be how the screen became warped. I had not considered that until you brought it up. I will certainly pay attention to that when I get my replacement. Thanks for mentioning that.

Reaction score
I just looked at my second protector to verify, and the tabs are on what ends up being the upper left side when applied. That's exactly where my bubble was, so I'm positive now that removing the backing from the sticky side is what caused my bubble on the edge.

leftbrain99

Reaction score
Same here. Upper left. The midpoint of the bubble is at the level of the bottom of the notification bar.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just ordered the SGP Crystal to give it a shot. I've always been happy with Zagg but it never hurts to try out the other options.

I totally disagree about the screen being scratch proof or resistant...
Keep in mind that scratch resistant and unscratchable are 2 entirely different things. The Droid's Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant.

Mamaperk

Reaction score
I totally disagree about the screen being scratch proof or resistant...
Keep in mind that scratch resistant and unscratchable are 2 entirely different things. The Droid's Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant.

As for the scratch proof or resistance of the Gorilla glass on the Droid ... I was referring to posts questioning people's choice for even using a scratch guard ... as if they are unnecessary because of that video shared on this thread with the guy scratching up the droid with keys and dropping keys on the phone ... unless they have changed the 'build' of it or something ... my experience was quite the opposite ... I'm pretty careful with phone but off course accidents happen as I explained in my post ... both Droids were scratched with minimal 'effort' so I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and protect the glass ...

From my understanding, the Gorilla glass protects it from being broken but not necessarily scratched and scuffed ... and I'm a freak about getting scuffs and scrapes on my screen. LOL!

Just received my Crystal this morning ... I have an acceptable screen protector on there now so I'll wait to remove it and replace it with the SGP Crystal... I'll chime in when I've had a chance to use it.

TK40

Reaction score
Anyone know another place I can order this? SGP is sold out at the moment. :(

DougNg

Reaction score
I have been a fan of Invisible Shield and Best Skins Ever for years...

I was bored and saw these reviews so I decided to give the Crystal Clear a shot. Wow, what a difference. The screen is so much more responsive! Very impressed with this product. I'll be sticking with this company for a while...

MikeyDroid

Reaction score
Anyone know another place I can order this? SGP is sold out at the moment. :(

WOW, just ordered them on Saturday... hopefully they will get them back in stock soon. Have you GOOGLE'd around for them?

I know the anti-fingerprint version has been out of stock for a while.

Good luck.

TK40

Reaction score
Ya I google'd and checked ebay/amazon but neither carry them for the droid. Let's hope they restock soon.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
As for the scratch proof or resistance of the Gorilla glass on the Droid ... I was referring to posts questioning people's choice for even using a scratch guard ... as if they are unnecessary because of that video shared on this thread with the guy scratching up the droid with keys and dropping keys on the phone.
I'm not disagreeing with you. The video you refer to makes it seem that the Droid's screen is unscratchable. It isn't. It's scratch resistant. Scratch resistant doesn't mean that it can't be scratched as you (and others) have discovered. It's exactly the same as water resistant versus waterproof. Just because something is water resistant doesn't mean that you can submerge it in water. On the other hand, waterproof things are just fine under water. Same concept.

If you want an example of a non-scratch resistant screen then look at any device with a plastic screen. There's a significant difference between those screens and Gorilla Glass.

ultimamma

Reaction score
Do these stick via static or adhesive? Do you mount it by applying water/screen cleaner and squishing the bubbles out or do you mount dry?

droidster22

Reaction score
Do these stick via static or adhesive? Do you mount it by applying water/screen cleaner and squishing the bubbles out or do you mount dry?

these are mount dry and does not need any water/screen cleaner during installation.
screen cleaning is obviously required before installation for dust removal.
its like a thin hard flim (plasticy) which is self adhesive like the ps screen protectors.

likelinus

Reaction score
I ordered 2 packs of these last week and received my order yesterday. I successfully installed the first one without any trouble at all. I did the shower trick in the bathroom and ended up with one spec of dust, but took some tape and got it off. My wife has a droid also and when she got home I handed her my phone and told her to look at it. She couldn't even tell it had the film on it. It really is crystal clear and works great. Very happy I got these.

Two thumbs up! I'm going to install one on my wife's phone tonight. The Steinheil Crystal along with our Sena Ultraslim cases keeps the phone small in my pocket, but reasonably protected and the glassdoesn't get scratched! Great combination.