Steinheil Crystal

Reaction score
How does the crystal one compare to the Verizon ones? I find the Verizon ones work fine, but have a lot of fingerprints. However, looking at the pictures in this thread I don't want the anti-fingerprint one as I would rather wipe than have a fuzzy picture.

Please respond to this question if you have seen the Steinheil Crystal AND the Verizon ones in person, or if you have pictures side-by-side to compare. Thank you!

mixtape

Reaction score
I'm a little curious to why everyone feels the need to even use a screen protector? I read, heard, and saw (from the below video) that the Droid uses a glass screen which cannot be scratched. Knowing that nothing beats the clarity of a naked screen, if not to prevent scratches, why should I consider a screen protector? (not bashing, just curious)

[video=youtube;eh2g7AIHdc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh2g7AIHdc8&feature=player_embedded[/video]

How does the crystal one compare to the Verizon ones? I find the Verizon ones work fine, but have a lot of fingerprints. However, looking at the pictures in this thread I don't want the anti-fingerprint one as I would rather wipe than have a fuzzy picture.

Please respond to this question if you have seen the Steinheil Crystal AND the Verizon ones in person, or if you have pictures side-by-side to compare. Thank you!

I'm in the same boat. I'm looking to buy a Droid soon but want to order a screen protector first. That way I can apply it literally the second I open the box. Then there's no time for dust, dirt, and/or fingerprints to get in between the screen and the cover :).

I love the idea behind the anti fingerprint protectors, but the clarity is significantly reduced. So I'm thinking Steinheil Crystal is the way to go. Though I would love to hear a comparison to Verizon's protectors vs Crystal.

leftbrain99

Reaction score
I'm a little curious to why everyone feels the need to even use a screen protector? I read, heard, and saw (from the below video) that the Droid uses a glass screen which cannot be scratched. Knowing that nothing beats the clarity of a naked screen, if not to prevent scratches, why should I consider a screen protector? (not bashing, just curious)

When the Droid came out, I did that same test on the display phone at the VZW store while no employees were looking, and this was on Day 1 of Droid sale, long before that video was out. I took a sharp point on a key and tried gauging, scratching, jamming at the screen and I couldn't even make a mark that I couldn't buff out with a quick finger swipe. I was convinced that the thing was indestructible.

But, one week after owning the phone - and I am so careful with it - it slid off my lap in the car and between the seat and console. It seemed pretty harmless, but the slight contact it made with the seat rail was enough to put a tiny nick right in the center of the screen. That's the last nick I will ever have to deal with because I ordered a screen protector right away.

Reaction score

While keys, knives, etc won't do it, there are some materials that can scratch the screen such as sand. Since I end up handing small amount of sand every day (chemistry grad student, need sand to run columns), I risk getting sand in my pocket and then having it scratch my screen. Although unlikely, I prefer taking precautions just to make sure my Droid stays mint.

tktouch12

Reaction score
alright. i was trying to find a good high quality and cheap screen protector, so i'm going to go with the crystal one, hope i like it :)

anabolix

Reaction score
Ordered the SGP shield for the Droid and the anti-fingerprint screen protector for the Storm 2(my gf's) last night.

I have heard it is better quality than the bodyguardz which I already have on. So I am pretty excited to get it.

Reaction score
@mixtape

I personally have screen protectors on all my devices, including my ipod nano. I put them on the moment I get a device.

It is worth it to me to have a screen protector on the device so I know that if something happens I have a pristine screen under the plastic. I couple of times I didn't do this and the tiny scratches bother me a lot, and replacing a screen is usually not worth the cost, assuming you have the tools and ability to do it, or the money to pay someone else to do it.

As pointed out by someone else, sand can be worse than keys over long term, and drops onto pavement can be bad too - with the amount of money these phones cost, I would prefer to have my "insurance" on my screen - even if it gorilla glass.

Mamaperk

Reaction score
I totally disagree about the screen being scratch proof or resistant... this is my 3rd Droid... first two were exchanged for faulty proximity sensor ... but that first one's screen was nicked slightly when my 12mo daughter dropped my keys on the phone ... the second one arrived and I wanted a screen protector on it right away so I headed out to best buy after activating ... put Droid in hoodie pocket where I had a gum wrapper crinkled in the corner ... got to BB and took out the phone and noticed two light scrapes or scratches from a stinkin' foil wrapper. :icon_eek: All this to say that I am a total freak about protecting my screen now. :)

Spartan

Reaction score
I totally disagree about the screen being scratch proof or resistant... this is my 3rd Droid... first two were exchanged for faulty proximity sensor ... but that first one's screen was nicked slightly when my 12mo daughter dropped my keys on the phone ... the second one arrived and I wanted a screen protector on it right away so I headed out to best buy after activating ... put Droid in hoodie pocket where I had a gum wrapper crinkled in the corner ... got to BB and took out the phone and noticed two light scrapes or scratches from a stinkin' foil wrapper. :icon_eek: All this to say that I am a total freak about protecting my screen now. :)

I agree. I'm completely anal about my electronics and babied this one. Had it in a good case and wiped it constantly with a micro fiber cloth. It wasn't until I was cleaning it really good to apply the screen protector that I noticed a couple of faint scratches. Made me really glad I was putting a protector on it.

Geofferson

Reaction score
Sounds like I am in the minority here, but I have had the crystal for 3 days and do not like it. The film shows some scuff marks and scratches -- likely from brushing up against a key or a zipper I suppose. Plus, it is not as easy to accurately 'Swype' -- fingers slide better on the glass alone.

I liked the cleaner look of the glass and will likely just go back to that w/o a protector.

Spartan

Reaction score
Sounds like I am in the minority here, but I have had the crystal for 3 days and do not like it. The film shows some scuff marks and scratches -- likely from brushing up against a key or a zipper I suppose. Plus, it is not as easy to accurately 'Swype' -- fingers slide better on the glass alone.

I liked the cleaner look of the glass and will likely just go back to that w/o a protector.

No offense, but you did take off the film covering the top surface? Mine is hard, not a soft protector like the Zagg. I've had mine for 3 weeks and no scuffs, and it is smooth.

Geofferson

Reaction score

No offense, but you did take off the film covering the top surface? Mine is hard, not a soft protector like the Zagg. I've had mine for 3 weeks and no scuffs, and it is smooth.
Yeah, I must have scuffed it with something pretty sharp by accident. Oh well.

arty2hottie

Reaction score

look at this way. it could have been your screen that had those scratches on it.

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Just came back from the mail with my new stenheil crystal. Put it on and my first impressions are I love it. Went on smoothly and love the feel of it on the screen. So hopefully I dont have to get back on here and talk about something going bad on it. It seems really strong so I think I have found a winner. The screen is just as responsive as before. By the way I put it on in the bathroom with the hot shower on to keep the dust to a minimum. Someone on here had put that as a method of putting it on to keep dust from getting on the screen. I cant recall who it was so sorry but I am still giving you the credit. haha Thanks.

Spartan

Reaction score

Good news is they send 2 in the pack! :icon_ banana: